Tap the technical and computer knowledge of other experienced users. Find information on computers and technological topics.

Artificial Intelligence on the rise?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artificial Intelligence on the rise?

Has anyone thought of the rise of Artificial Intelligence and how it may effect the Church or our lives?

Originally posted by foundling View Post
    Has anyone thought of the rise of Artificial Intelligence and how it may effect the Church or our lives?
    It was always something that was bound to happen sooner or later with technology advancing.. It could be a blessing or could very well destroy our lives.. Who knows, it's too early to tell yet,. Go further in time when artificial intelligence is rife in our lives there will be another future intelligence to be worrying over.. It won't end because technology is huge business.

I find certain technology amazing.. I wouldn't be without the internet or my smart phone,. I'm always intrigued to visit other websites I haven't visited and speak to random people all over the world, it's also a blessing for a learning tool.., but technology has it's evils, just look at the sex robots that are becoming popular and the damage that can cause Christians in faith.. We should be wise and not foolish with anything in life, including technology..
    Comment>

There's already a theory that we are all just a computer program, I'm sure that will become popular eventually like many theories and offshoots of religion have in the past. It's not much different than what the Hindus believe about reality being an illusion, all one has to do is to ask what makes it a fact if fact is illusion, which means they know nothing by their own admission.

Given enough time robots can replace people in many work fields which would contradict the purpose of the robots since unemployment would mean less sales.

I don't really keep an eye on the latest technology, but I don't think it's going to advance that much too soon, and of course there must be a limit to how far technology can advance.
      Comment>

Originally posted by foundling View Post
        Good question and timely too. With IBM Watson doing everything from "chess" to "healthcare" who knows what's next. I even read the other day that the super computer playing "go" is now teaching itself, not from playing and learning from humans, but from playing against itself. It beat the previous version of itself 100-0 in the first round of games.

Robots and AI are likely to take (replace) every job that man doesn't want, either due to danger, repetitive nature, cost, and a whole host of other reasons. Medical diagnosis is an area of big interest to the silicon valley crowd, as is pharmaceuticals. Anywhere a buck of extra profit can be sniffed out, someone has that technology on their radar. Any entrepreneurs out there?

What is the economic advantage of AI in the church. If you allow your imagination run free, you might envision an Internet Pastor-Chaplain-Preacher site that serves the 1:1 pastoral needs (anonymously) of all denominations with expert knowledge of scripture and applying God's word to every day problems of modern societies. Is that too far-fetched? I remember reading about someone who said of the first IBM mainframe computers: "there will never be a need for more than 4 or 5 computers" or something to that effect.

However, I cannot envision having "fellowship" with an AI-bot. Their IRON might be too sharp for me.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap