Tap the technical and computer knowledge of other experienced users. Find information on computers and technological topics.

Slow Computer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Computer?

We've all noticed when we buy a computer it starts out with minimal memory to keep the cost of the computer down but seems to run great... for a while. Gradually, it slows down, more and more and more. Finally you've had it. Yes, junk accumulates in the machine that operates in the background and your cache has developed quite a collection of files. Your CPU is running OK. Your HDD is not that full, either. It doesn't mater if it is a PC or Mac, the same thing happens and it is not your imagination.

There's an old saying, "You can never have too much memory." While it is true that one day you outgrow the computer or technology finalizes it, first try adding more memory. Max it out. Make sure that it is all from the same manufacturer, same speed and size in GB and give the computer as much as it is designed to take. Some CPU's can be over clocked, but that is a tricky process. Memory is less so, and is easy. Just make sure you wear a grounded wrist strap so electrostatic discharge does not damage the components you touch. Use the special canned air to blow out the accumulated dust. Then go to work on the memory, following the directions.

If most of this stuff is stuff you already know, let me just say this. It is highly significant how much of an improvement is made on the computer speed. The reason? When your memory is filled up, the computer uses a segmented portion of your HDD for what is called virtual memory, where the HDD picks up the extra memory needs. This slows down the speed of processing since the HDD is mechanical. Further, after a while, your machine overworks the HDD, causing a risk for eventual failure.

Another way to speed up the system is to get rid of your trash and files you no longer need. The more stuff is on the drive, the longer it takes for it to find what you're looking for. I hope this helps. I just added memory to my Mac Mini and went from 4 GB to 16 GB and what a difference! Also, make sure you check customer responses as to who is a good manufacturer.

God Bless

All very good recommendations Stratcat.

I like to keep my PC as bare as possible. I've removed stuff that isn't needed and stopped a lot of programs and processes from starting up automatically - but you have to be careful what you are doing.

Another thing is to be very watchful when you install a new program. They have a habit of loading junk as well. Watch out for boxes that come already checked to say you want something extra loaded.

Even with all that my PC runing Windows 7 is much slower on startup that it was originally - and I've installed the Microsoft fix that is supposed to correct a known bug in that area.

Comment>

Computers can be restored to new condition, making them about as fast as when they were new. For Windows 8, look up Recovery.

Utilities can optimize and clean up a computer (defrag,reg clean, etc.), making the computer faster.

Uninstall (or remove from startup) software you don't use.

Swap your bloated software for more leanly written software.

It's possible to get your computer running faster than when you first took it out of the box, and without spending a penny.

Comment>

I need to get familiar with how Mac loads its cache and files so I can get out the useless junk or turn it off. I need to see where the system loads are listed then determine what can be shut off. Bede and Cornelius, those are great suggestions. Anyone familiar with the Mac in this area? I keep Flash in the background for my weather radar and flash or Java for satellite movies. Other than those, I need to see what else is running. Sometimes whatever it is causes programs to hang on wake-up or shutdown.
        Comment>

I don't know anything about the Mac, except it costs more. :)

Windows runs scores of services in the background, most are unneeded by many people. Unneeded services can be stopped, providing a small boost in speed. For example, Windows is always running a print spooler, to handle print requests. But, if you don't print from your computer, stop running the service. Most software these days wants to install some background, often meddling, process, when they're installed. Nearly all of this is an unnecessary drag on your computer. For example, do you you want Acme's Bloatware to preload part of itself at boot so when you actually do run it, if you ever do, it'll start up faster?

Adding more memory goes a long way to mitigating the damage from bloated software and unnecessary background processes .
          Comment>

Yes, after 5 years the computer slows down from accumalation of updates,program installs and removals,adware and crud and just becomes more unstable. I had a toshiba laptop computer for about 7 years,but I think the motherboard went out and it just went black. I just wanted something simple this time around and cheap,but something I could still function with and was mobile,and also I could connect my dslr camera to,so I bought a mini-computer(tablet with keyboard)made by RCA.
            Comment>

Not only updates and unnecessary programs that can lead to computers slowing down,there is one important factor that a lot of people either ignore or aren't aware of, which is the accumulation of dust in the heat pipes that leads to overheating and thus computer slowing down.
              Comment>

On a PC running a registry cleaner, such as the free one from Auslogics, might help.
                Comment>

The best way to improve your computer speed for computer running windows operating system is disk clean up this will remove unnecessary files from the computer including recycle bin which reduces the speed of your computer system. DIfrag is also used to improve the performance of your system store files contiguously.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by ongoro2001 View Post
                    The best way to improve your computer speed for computer running windows operating system is disk clean up this will remove unnecessary files from the computer including recycle bin which reduces the speed of your computer system. DIfrag is also used to improve the performance of your system store files contiguously.
                    All these exists in Windows 10. I believe they existed in 8 also and probably 7.

Click image for larger version

Name:	disk cleanup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	40462Click image for larger version

Name:	defrag.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	40463

God bless,
                    William
                    Comment>