Tap the technical and computer knowledge of other experienced users. Find information on computers and technological topics.

Windows 10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10

Apparently Windows 10 will be last version of Windows - ever! Not because Microsoft are junking windows, but because in future it will be updated as on a rolling basis rather than major releases.

"Instead of new major versions, the product will be improved in regular instalments and automatic updates, much akin to apps and modern browsers."

Windows 10 will be last version of Microsoft OS | The Independent

Interesting... for a moment I thought Microsoft was doing away with the OS altogether, and implementing only browsers which access an OS through a server/client setup which does not store files on the computer, but rather operate similarly to a cloud. My thoughts were that this would be kinda nice, that is, to access your computer from anywhere on your own desktop everywhere despite the equipment. The HD's would be no larger than required to cache, and wiping an OS from a client/user would be simply clearing the cache. Of course, the negative of such approach would be the limitations set by internet speed or bandwidth.

We'll have to wait and see....
    Comment>

So, Microsoft is going to stick to OS X indefinitely.
      Comment>

Personally I'd rather not store my personal files in a cloud. I like to have them under my control.

Another interesting thing is that Microsoft are going to give free upgrades to Windows 10 from version 7 & above.

What's in that for them? I thought Windows was one of their cash cows. But perhaps they are losing market share to Android & Ubuntu and see that as the only option.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Bede View Post

Another interesting thing is that Microsoft are going to give free upgrades to Windows 10 from version 7 & above.

What's in that for them? I thought Windows was one of their cash cows. But perhaps they are losing market share to Android & Ubuntu and see that as the only option.
          Windows is a cash cow and will continue to be a cash cow. Windows isn't free. PC builders still have to buy a copy of Windows for each PC. Upgrades are now free, but upgrades were never a cash cow for MS. Most people only get the next OS when they get their next PC.

MS has a new cash cow, their app store. Windows 7 users don't buy apps, so MS is losing money if MS doesn't give them OS X (Windows Operating System version 10, of course).

And, yes, MS is facing more competition. MS has only a tiny share of the mobile market, a market where all their competitors give free upgrades.
          Comment>

I must be getting old. I didn't know any of this was even going on, except the cloud. I've always thought FB was the biggest security risk in that people volunteer their lifestyles away, pictures and real names included, and whatever else they decide to put into their accounts. As for OS's, I'm in the slow lane. Yosemite is the latest Mac OSx. It's a free upgrade.
            Comment>

Originally posted by William

On a different subject I came across this the other day, check this out: Lantern
              Interesting. But how do we know that Lantern hasn't been developed by the CIA to gain access to our computers?

Comment>

Just adding a bit to this, there's another Ubuntu derivative that will likely see quick growth going forward, Elementary OS: A fast and open replacement for Windows and macOS ⋅ elementary OS

Elementary OS is basically like the perfect merge between Mac OS X and Windows, with a lot of familiar functionality for Windows users yet with a far more elegant interface like Yosemite. And besides now having Linux variants of most popular Windows software, most Windows software works great using WINE in Linux.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft will see this one as a threat. It's a much better operating system and because Steam is so heavily focused on Linux these days (their forthcoming consoles are Linux-based), the game market which was previously missing on Linux is now maturing fast.

Microsoft will continue to be a cash cow, but I suspect it won't be for much longer, not unless they completely revolutionize the OS.
                Comment>

I heard that the Intel CPU's were instigated with privacy issues by the CIA some time back about 12 years. I don't know what to believe, but unless there is proof, response to the alleged issues cannot be found. Between credit cards, healthcare, and other activities, The government can easily butt into our lives. Look at the American tax code!!!
                  Comment>

Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
                    I heard that the Intel CPU's were instigated with privacy issues by the CIA some time back about 12 years. I don't know what to believe, but unless there is proof, response to the alleged issues cannot be found. Between credit cards, healthcare, and other activities, The government can easily butt into our lives. Look at the American tax code!!!
                    Well, given that everything human beings engineer, human beings can reverse engineer, I just accept that we'll never be 100% secure and will always have to be concerned about the information we make available. As Christians, I don't see how we'd need to worry about that. The most they should get out of us is a bunch of Gospel. If we fill our computers up with God's Word, maybe someone will inadvertently get saved! Maybe with all the hate laws (homosexual and religious tolerance, etc) in the works, we'll then have something to worry about. Myself, I'll be filling my computers up with that sort of hate to help expedite my exit from this sinful place. :)

Nonetheless, using a free and open-source system like Linux can greatly help those concerned with security.
                    Comment>

Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
                      Reminds me of the Iranian nuclear reactor hardware infected with Sputnik. :eek: Sputnik was a work of art. The hardware or chips the Iranians obtained were hosting an Israeli program called Sputnik. Sputnik took control of the nuclear reactor's centrifuges, control room, and monitoring systems. The program projected correct values or normal operations in the control room and monitoring systems while spinning the centrifuges out of control until destruction.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
                        Reminds me of the Iranian nuclear reactor hardware infected with Sputnik. :eek:
                        Israel acted in violation of international law and committed an act of war. Reminds me of why no one without blinders likes Israel. Iran, unlike Israel, is in full compliance with international law and treaties on the nuclear issue.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by DavidM View Post
                          Just adding a bit to this, there's another Ubuntu derivative that will likely see quick growth going forward, Elementary OS: A fast and open replacement for Windows and macOS ⋅ elementary OS

Elementary OS is basically like the perfect merge between Mac OS X and Windows, with a lot of familiar functionality for Windows users yet with a far more elegant interface like Yosemite. And besides now having Linux variants of most popular Windows software, most Windows software works great using WINE in Linux.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft will see this one as a threat. It's a much better operating system and because Steam is so heavily focused on Linux these days (their forthcoming consoles are Linux-based), the game market which was previously missing on Linux is now maturing fast.
                          Elementary OS is making a splash. But, Linux is doomed to fail for PC users. Linux, which as never had any noticeable non-hobbyist users, So, no, Microsoft doesn't see it as a threat and never will (without regard to servers and Android). And, even if they did, MS would just demand (and get) royalty payments, and the cash cow continues on. Linux is plagued by issues the Linux community is unwilling or unable to solve.
                          Comment>

Release date is July 29th (2015 for the sceptics!). Windows 7 & upward users have one year to upgrade for free.

I will wait and see what people think of it.

I wonder how backward compatible it will be. I have quite a few old programs that Microsoft would consider as very outdated. But they run OK in Windows 7.

Comment>

The free upgrade to Windows 10 should run everything that ran before.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap