Tap the technical and computer knowledge of other experienced users. Find information on computers and technological topics.

Does Technology Affect Christianity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Technology Affect Christianity

The rise of mobile apps has seen the Bible being converted into an app. Since there are many Bible versions, apps have also come in different versions. I was shocked to realise that one can easily edit what is written and write what they see suits them. If they share those apps then many people will be reading what is not correct. How are we going to know what is right or wrong for us to read?

Originally posted by Francis View Post
    The rise of mobile apps has seen the Bible being converted into an app. Since there are many Bible versions, apps have also come in different versions. I was shocked to realise that one can easily edit what is written and write what they see suits them. If they share those apps then many people will be reading what is not correct. How are we going to know what is right or wrong for us to read?
    Francis, I personally don't know about such kinda apps. I usually use You Version Bible App and its not such kinda app.
    Comment>

While yes some perverted versions of bibles might mislead some Christians, I believe that most Christians who want to read a bible have read other bibles or have bibles at home and would immediately notice differences between what they read on their digital bibles/apps and the bibles they have at home. And this is the reason why people should go to church. It's a lot harder to deceive someone who knows what scripture says.
      Comment>

Originally posted by motirattan View Post
        Francis, I personally don't know about such kinda apps. I usually use You Version Bible App and its not such kinda app.
        Check out this article: The Queen James Bible, the Gay Bible | carm
        Comment>

I think technology affects Christianity because I was watching a movie that began with a quote that was from the bible and it was a shocking kind of quote so I went to look it up and found it wasn't from the bible at all. Movie makers can make up whatever quotes they want and attribute it as God's Word and I find that completely shocking so it doesn't surprise me in the least that people could edit bibles and mislead others but as another member wrote I doubt that it would go unnoticed since a lot of us know our scriptures very well.
          Comment>

This is a double edge sword we are playing with here. Apps and technology can spread the gospels and teachings far and wide like never before. Now with a touch of a button you can connect and spread the word to a person half way around the world if you wanted to. Spreading the word and teaching has never been easier.

Now for the negative. Who controls the apps and is it true to the source material? Is everything on the up and up and not used as a tool to get advertisements in in hopes of profitzing.
            Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
              Yikes! That is the first I've ever heard of that "version". And by version I mean gross corruption. :rolleyes:
              Comment>

What will happen is that the Bible's original text and meaning will gradually be obscured as more and newer 'apps' with translations that are further and further away from the original truth and meaning of the Bible are put out for public consumption. Shortly thereafter, there will a specific Bible version for everyone and only in the more obscure corners of the internet will the proper text be available. If one looks as the history books from the 1970s era to the current date, you will see a darker and more sinister tone depicting America as no longer a light/beacon shining on a hill but as a sinister and malevolent force who has much to atone for.
                Comment>

At the end of the day I believe the overall spread of the word of Christ through the internet greatly outweighs any potential negatives, the ability for people to access resources they otherwise wouldn't have even dreamed of is huge.
                  Comment>

I have never heard of apps that you can revise like that. That's interesting. What is the point of reading the Bible on your tablet or computer if you have the capability to rewrite it anyway you feel like? Why not just get out your word processing software and write your own version and be done with it? I'm being facetious, of course, but that seems more logical than rewriting a version of the Bible to suit yourself. You could just write the "Word of Bob" or whatever.... sell it on Amazon, get rich and famous... etc. The problem is, there are too many people out there who can't allow us to have the Word of God, because it disagrees with what they believe. So, we are the ones who get hurt, while they get their own way, and the rest of the world gets more confused trying to figure out which version is which. It's ridiculous.
                    Comment>

Well the short answer would have to be yes. Now that I think about it though, when it comes to overall faith then I would say maybe and hopefully not. The first that jumped into my head though was church services these days. We have projector screens up and the pastor has an iPad, so that is a little new, and I do not really care for it, but that is just me. Aside from that though I am not sure if the whole app thing is really that big. That could change, though, and might. Thanks for sharing.
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap