Tap the technical and computer knowledge of other experienced users. Find information on computers and technological topics.

How is vBulletin 5 doing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is vBulletin 5 doing?

I understand at first launch it was infested with bugs and people had many problems. Have those been addressed or should I expect to be dealing with a lot of problems? Is there a double posting problem or has that been fixed?

Hello Adorer,

We have had the forum up now for around two months. Haven't ran into any problems concerning double posting or otherwise. Perhaps it is because we installed a pretty current version and not a first launch version. Version 5.1.5 was installed initially, and was updated to 5.1.6 about a week ago.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

That's good to know. :) Mark just announced he will be launching 5.1.7 soon. Btw, thanks for the link to the addon, it's good to know.

As you know from my comments on vBulletin at the site; I have it down to vBulletin and IPS. What are your thoughts on IPS? I am almost certain that I will go with vBulletin but I want to understand what the other is offering before eliminating it.

The administration section looks easy to manage in IPS. Today, I am going to take a look at a demo of vBulletin 5 to see just complicated it is. Thank you for the information and your assistance.

Blessings,

Adorer
      Comment>

I have absolutely no knowledge of IPS. We actually came from an Open Source project called Joomla!. This is actually the first commercial software I have purchased throughout the last 8 years of using Joomla!. I have no regrets. The support has been great, although, from a user end not as strong as Open Source user engagement. Maybe, because Open Source relies on user feed back and development.

One thing I have noticed is the Admin Control Panel in VBulletin. Most Open source software requires hacking files for changes, in Vbulletin if a selection is not made readily available there's a ton of negative feedback and users become grumpy. However, all these selections in the Admin Panel eventually add up and become a little ridiculous and overwhelming, but again, they save a user from hacking files.

What I really like about VBulletin 5 is the SEO. Coming from Joomla! with a Kunena forum major issues became apparent after four years of use. Google was very reluctant to index the site, and the percentage of indexed pages in the sitemap was horrible in Google Webmaster Tools. Not so with VBulletin.

Unfortunately, I cannot suggest IPS for my lack of knowledge and experience with the product.

G'luck on your forum endeavor,
        William
        Comment>

[FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=13px]Thanks. I just thought I pick your brain a little. [/SIZE][/FONT]:) Hope you don't mind. [FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=13px] I feel overwhelmed with the decision. Then, when I finally select vBulletin, I need to analyze on whether going with 3x or 4x or 5. Do you know what the differences are between them?[/SIZE][/FONT]

I don't clearly understand this:
          Originally posted by William View Post

One thing I have noticed is the Admin Control Panel in VBulletin. Most Open source software requires hacking files for changes, in Vbulletin if a selection is not made readily available there's a ton of negative feedback and users become grumpy. However, all these selections in the Admin Panel eventually add up and become a little ridiculous and overwhelming, but again, they save a user from hacking files.

Do you mean the Admin cannot change 'hack' the files?
          Comment>

Originally posted by Adorer View Post
            [FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=13px]Thanks. I just thought I pick your brain a little. [/SIZE][/FONT]:) Hope you don't mind. [FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=13px] I feel overwhelmed with the decision. Then, when I finally select vBulletin, I need to analyze on whether going with 3x or 4x or 5. Do you know what the differences are between them?[/SIZE][/FONT]

I don't clearly understand this:

Do you mean the Admin cannot change 'hack' the files?
            In my brief time while using Vbulletin from an admin perspective, I would say Vbulletin 4 should be seriously considered for its modifications. However, if you use Vbulletin 4, expect to install many modifications to receive the same functionality of VBulletin 5.

As for hacking files, I simply mean one must "modify" files if a control panel selection is not available. This becomes problematic because whenever an update is done the files are overwritten, so files must be constantly modified and tracked and once again modified. Otherwise, all the hard work and customizations are reverted back to default after an update, and so the process repeats.

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

In my brief time while using Vbulletin from an admin perspective, I would say Vbulletin 4 should be seriously considered for its modifications. However, if you use Vbulletin 4, expect to install many modifications to receive the same functionality of VBulletin 5.
              What modifications does vB4 has? I suppose these are modifications to the basic platform. What are the different functionalities that vB5 provides?

As for hacking files, I simply mean one must "modify" files if a control panel selection is not available. This becomes problematic because whenever an update is done the files are overwritten, so files must be constantly modified and tracked and once again modified. Otherwise, all the hard work and customizations are reverted back to default after an update, and so the process repeats.
              Can you give me an example of when and how a file would be modified for which a control panel selection would not be available?

That sounds like a nightmare, to update and lose modifications and changes. Yikes! So, this is preventable?
              Comment>

Originally posted by Adorer View Post

What modifications does vB4 has? I suppose these are modifications to the basic platform. What are the different functionalities that vB5 provides?

Can you give me an example of when and how a file would be modified for which a control panel selection would not be available?

That sounds like a nightmare, to update and lose modifications and changes. Yikes! So, this is preventable?
                There was a page I had viewed before uploading and installing VB5. I do not know where that page is or which search query I used to find it. I do suggest going here: vBulletin Modifications - vBulletin.org Forum

Compare the modifications you wish to have in VB4, then search to see whether they are by default in VB5.

An example of a hack - go to root/js/content-slider.js file. I wanted to modify the content slider speed, since adjustments are not made available in the Control Panel, I had to modify the file itself:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	image_65638.png
Views:	1
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	1663

I changed the slider interval from 3000 to around 9000 which creates a longer delay between slides.

Now, when the next update occurs, the file will be overwritten back to default. To adjust the speed between slides I must go back and modify (hack) the file again. This is why I am suggesting, because an admin control panel seems more "streamlined" beware that there may be a reduction of available options which will force you to hack/modify files rather than simply select an option.

I created this forum section as an example to track the changes, mods, and hacks I perform on this site.

God bless,
                William
                Comment>

Thank you, William, for the information.

May Our Lord Jesus bless you abundantly and may through your forum many hear His call.

Adorer.

P.s. I am off to bury my mother who passed away last night. May she rest in peace. Please say a little prayer for her soul. Thanks.
                  Comment>

My condolences to you and your family Adorer.

God bless,
                    William
                    Comment>

Thank you.

I just noticed a red notification up at the top but I had already seen it days ago. It is one of the issues that is fixed with vB5.1.7 I'm sure you are not running to upgrade. It may be best to do it now before you customize more.

I made my final decision, after a lot of research and comparison. I am going to go with vBulletin 5 Connect. I wish it had better store and monetization as IPS, but I will just have some one customize it for me.
                      Comment>

I believe the red notification which you refer to is an indicator that you have responses to threads or private messages.
                        Comment>

Will it come with the mobile package?
                          Comment>

No, the mobile bundle is quite more expensive. I do not even have the mobile bundle for this site. You'll have to inquire and see whether you can purchase the mobile bundle at a later time.
                            Comment>
                            Working...
                            X
                            Articles - News - SiteMap