Tap the technical and computer knowledge of other experienced users. Find information on computers and technological topics.

Staying on Windows 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying on Windows 7

I've decided to stay on Windows 7. Apart from the possibility of the PC running faster under Windows 10 (some reports say it will) I can't see any advantages for me with the programs I run. Windows 7 does all I want and the old programs I have work on it.

One problem with auto upgrades (such as WIndows 10 will use and as happens with Firefox and Thunderbird) is that every now and then the supplier makes some significant change that just seems to mess things up and/or takes away some useful facility.

Any other "luddites" like me staying on Windows 7?

Having used every OS from Microsoft, my favorite was Windows 7 up until Windows 10. I have been using Windows 10 since its release and have yet to run into any compatibility issues with anything that was run on Windows 7, then 8, and to 10. It is the most transparent OS I have used up to this point. By transparent, I mean working in the background, out of mind, allowing me to focus on tasks and not the OS.

I will share with you though that my Windows 8 didn't want to auto upgrade to Windows 10. I had to download the OS and make a bootable device. I chose a USB stick. After installation, I was quickly reminded of the things I like in Windows 7, because they returned. At the same time, some pretty neat things, and some necessities from 8 were expanded on.

I am pretty confident to tell you that if you decided to upgrade to Windows 10, you'll be on Microsoft's best OS to date.
    Comment>

Yup, me too. I hate change, and sure, Windows 8 or 10 may look good and have these great features that W7 doesn't have, but I really hate going to adapt again to another system. W7 is good! It's great, even. Why fix what isn't broken, am I right? It has everything you need, has a sleek layout, and I'm accustomed to all its features by now. I'd rather not change layouts until I really have to.
      Comment>

One of the big changes from Windows 7 is Windows 10 is way more secure, worth changing because of that alone! That being said, I'm still running 7 on my desktop (work) computer because mainly I'm running a pre Windows 10 approved version of QuickBooks, I've had people tell me it will run fine, but I went through the Windows Vista disaster, and NEVER want to go through that again.
        Comment>

Originally posted by stevenoza View Post
          One of the big changes from Windows 7 is Windows 10 is way more secure, worth changing because of that alone! That being said, I'm still running 7 on my desktop (work) computer because mainly I'm running a pre Windows 10 approved version of QuickBooks, I've had people tell me it will run fine, but I went through the Windows Vista disaster, and NEVER want to go through that again.
          I'm also using an old edition of Microsoft Office. It as well as all the other programs I had installed ran perfectly with the exception of my Anti-virus which had a new revision for Windows 10. I believe Windows 10 has compatibility capability, before you upgrade you can run the compatibility wizard and it will determine whether your hardware and apps are good to go.
          Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

I'm also using an old edition of Microsoft Office. It as well as all the other programs I had installed ran perfectly with the exception of my Anti-virus which had a new revision for Windows 10. I believe Windows 10 has compatibility capability, before you upgrade you can run the compatibility wizard and it will determine whether your hardware and apps are good to go.
            When I have to upgrade QuickBooks to the current W10 compatible version, I'm thinking I'll do a complete wipe and install W10 then. W7 does work well, and I just don't have the time to deal with any serious problems. I had to spend days making Vista work (with help from an IT guy even) when I upgraded from XP, and these days I'm even more bound to technology. I'm running W10 on a laptop I use for my employee safety program, so I am getting accustomed to it.
            Comment>

Interesting comments. When I got Windows 7 I started to run a lot of old programs in XP compatibility mode but then discovered I didn't need to.

I am pretty confident to tell you that if you decided to upgrade to Windows 10, you'll be on Microsoft's best OS to date.
              I wish you hadn't said that. :D

Well I'm going on holiday next week so I shal ponder on it when I come back.

Comment>

When I had Windows 7, my computer used to crash quite often. The fans would suddenly start running hard and then the screen would lock up and go to the blue screen of death on me. This happened at least once a month... IF I was careful and didn't open too many applications at once. When I switched to 10, everything looked vastly different, which was temporarily overwhelming, but I soon caught on to everything. I have been running Windows 10 for around a month now and so far, no blue screen lock up problem. One minor inconvenience I have noticed however, is that now, Internet Explorer won't work hardly at all. It takes me places, sure enough, but those websites are almost always glitchy now. Apparently Win 10 doesn't like I.E., but is quite fond of Google Chrome and Firefox, both of which are installed on my computer. Facebook and YouTube still work on I.E., but tend to be a bit slow at times. All in all, I guess I'm glad I switched to 10, though I did put it off for quite some time.
                Comment>

My older pc still uses windows 7 too. Although I'm repeatedly told that I should upgrade by my family, and the update repeatedly tries to force me to upgrade, I still have been using windows 7. By far it is my favorite OS and I will continue to use it until I cannot anymore. I also prefered the microsoft office version that came with this windows and use it regularly for work related things. A family friend told me that her computer upgraded itself to windows 10. Has this happened to anyone else?
                  Comment>

Originally posted by LisaAnnProct View Post
                    My older pc still uses windows 7 too. Although I'm repeatedly told that I should upgrade by my family, and the update repeatedly tries to force me to upgrade, I still have been using windows 7. By far it is my favorite OS and I will continue to use it until I cannot anymore. I also prefered the microsoft office version that came with this windows and use it regularly for work related things. A family friend told me that her computer upgraded itself to windows 10. Has this happened to anyone else?
                    Yes. This is actually how my PC "turned". I had the little notification in the bottom right hand corner of my screen for months, and completely ignored it. I didn't want to change from Win 7, to some degree because of the fact that my computer was crashing at an alarming rate and I didn't think it would survive the change, but also because I was used to it and didn't want a change. Then, one day a large window popped up in front of me saying that my computer was switching in 50 minutes, (more or less) and did I want it to continue? I said no, but that was only another delaying tactic. That window popped up again a few weeks later and this time I was only allowed to postpone it a few hours. I turned off my computer that afternoon, completely forgetting about it, and then later, the thing downloaded Win 10 when I turned it on again. The program didn't crash and downloaded successfully. I was shocked at the difference between the two. I am pleased though, that Win 10 seems to have stopped my computer crashing issue. :)
                    Comment>

Originally posted by Novelangel View Post
                      When I had Windows 7, my computer used to crash quite often. The fans would suddenly start running hard and then the screen would lock up and go to the blue screen of death on me. This happened at least once a month... IF I was careful and didn't open too many applications at once. When I switched to 10, everything looked vastly different, which was temporarily overwhelming, but I soon caught on to everything. I have been running Windows 10 for around a month now and so far, no blue screen lock up problem. One minor inconvenience I have noticed however, is that now, Internet Explorer won't work hardly at all. It takes me places, sure enough, but those websites are almost always glitchy now. Apparently Win 10 doesn't like I.E., but is quite fond of Google Chrome and Firefox, both of which are installed on my computer. Facebook and YouTube still work on I.E., but tend to be a bit slow at times. All in all, I guess I'm glad I switched to 10, though I did put it off for quite some time.
                      That's interesting.

Some months ago may computer kept crashing, particularly when doing something like skype. However I got a temperature checking program and it seemed to be running hot. When I opened it up the processor chip heatsink was coated with a thick layer like felt! When I vacuumed it all out it ran much cooler and it didn't crash - for a while. Now, every now and then it crahes and it's not a temperature problem.

Something else to think about.

Comment>

Originally posted by Bede View Post

That's interesting.

Some months ago may computer kept crashing, particularly when doing something like skype. However I got a temperature checking program and it seemed to be running hot. When I opened it up the processor chip heatsink was coated with a thick layer like felt! When I vacuumed it all out it ran much cooler and it didn't crash - for a while. Now, every now and then it crahes and it's not a temperature problem.

Something else to think about.
                        Of course a physical issue with the heat sink or cooling system in general is not going to be repaired by installing another OS, although, another OS such as Windows 10 may require less resources, being more efficient, putting less load on the computer's cpu, therefore minimizing the symptoms of thermal related problems.

The weather has been warming up here. You have to also take into account the ambient room temperature. If the ambient temperature was ten degrees cooler when it was not crashing, the extra degrees of ambient temperature may be causing the problems. With air cooling, the maximum expectancy of an air heat sink is to approach ambient. The only way to go below room temperature is with a peltier or air conditioning unit. Even a water system will not go below ambient, because the water is not cooled below ambient by fans circulating air across the water system's radiator.

You did right by cleaning the heat sink of dust and obstructions. Also look for the same obstructions on other parts of the computer, case fans, heat sinks on various chips such as the "south bridge" etc. Lastly, you may want to relocate your computer, if it's inside a desk or something that may restrict air flow.
                        Comment>

Of course a physical issue with the heat sink or cooling system in general is not going to be repaired by installing another OS, although, another OS such as Windows 10 may require less resources, being more efficient, putting less load on the computer's cpu, therefore minimizing the symptoms of thermal related problems.

The weather has been warming up here. You have to also take into account the ambient room temperature. If the ambient temperature was ten degrees cooler when it was not crashing, the extra degrees of ambient temperature may be causing the problems. With air cooling, the maximum expectancy of an air heat sink is to approach ambient. The only way to go below room temperature is with a peltier or air conditioning unit. Even a water system will not go below ambient, because the air is not cooled below ambient by fans circulating air across the water system's radiator.

You did right by cleaning the heat sink of dust and obstructions. Also look for the same obstructions on other parts of the computer, case fans, heat sinks on various chips such as the "south bridge" etc. Lastly, you may want to relocate your computer, if it's inside a desk or something that may restrict air flow.
                          I've given it a good clean but you may be right in that last sentence.

I have relocated it to under the desk because of problems of cable length to where it was. I have been wondering about whether that is causing a problem with air flow. Ambient temperature is definately not the problem. It's cold over here!.

Recently there were messages coming up about the sound connection being conmnected and then disconnected and that seemed possibly associated with the crashes. I think the problem there was that the sound connector wasn't pushed right in properly.

Going back to Windows 7 & 10, I was reading more yesterday and there are some issues that put me off upgrading.

One is that apparently Microsoft have the right, and have used it under Windows 10, to delete programs off people's computers that they (Microsoft) consider shouldn't be on there for various reasons (such as security).

Another is that they want everyone to work through a Microsoft Account. It seems there are ways round not using it but Microsoft don't make it easy.

Finally it seems that Windows updates are compulsary, whereas under 7 I have more control over whether and when I accept them.

I don't like the amount of control that Microsoft seem to be wanting and could just add more later
                          Comment>

Thank you to Bede and William for the advice they gave about my computer crashing problem. I have been avoiding actually opening the back of the unit and chose to simply blast air in there to (hopefully) knock off any loose dust. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and get in there to really clean it out. Also, in regards to Bede's last post, I have noticed that Microsoft wants me to sign up for this or that in order to play a game or whatever. Annoying pop-ups appear on my screen asking me to sign in to outlook. I don't even have an account at outlook, though my husband does. I just clicked through them for several days and then suddenly they stopped bothering me so much and now I click through to my games without much trouble at all. At least Windows 10 has postponed my having to purchase a brand new computer, which is something I was dreading having to do right now.
                            Comment>

On my primary workstation, I too am staying with Windows 7 for now. XP is gone, Vista was a train-wreck, I can't stand 8, and while 10 is pretty darn good, it doesn't offer me anything that 7 doesn't do just as well for my work. On my notebook, I have shifted to Mac OS X with a dual-boot (Boot Camp) to Windows 7. So, yes, you are not alone in sticking with 7.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap