Tap the technical and computer knowledge of other experienced users. Find information on computers and technological topics.

What kind of computer you use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of computer you use?

Hi guys. Being the computer guy myself, I am just curious, you know. So what kind of computer do you use and what OS? Is there anything you like about your computer? Feel free to answer.

Is it about the main server's computer or any member's computer.
    Comment>

This is the first computer that I have bought preconfigured. I was into overclocking with custom cooling solutions such as water and air conditioning units. Years ago I got out of the hobby and began working on websites, I needed a computer that I did not need to fiddle with or tweak settings to run reliably for webwork. Another words I needed transparency, something that just was in the background. I use a Gateway All in One Touchscreen. I'll never buy one again, but I added 2gb additional ram for a total of 8gb. It uses Windows 10 which isn't a problem. I don't like the touchscreen on a giant 23 inch display because it takes more effort and time than the flick of a wrist movement from a mouse. Unfortunately, when any one part dies in the computer the whole computer will die since it is an All in One unit.

My next computer will be a Mac. What about you inlight? Which do you prefer and which are you currently using?

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

I use Sony Vaio SVF151218SNW which comes with 3rd generation Inter i5 processor and 1GB Nvidia GT740M Graphics Card. It's coupled with 4GB of ram. It's my first laptop but really disappointed from Sony for selling the Vaio brand to a Japanese Company but most satisfying thing is that it has hand gesture support instead of installing Flutter to do so.
        Comment>

I am currently using a Dell Inspiron 15" laptop from 6 years back. It's still running like a breeze. I run linux on it. My previous one was a huge old family desktop. I like the fact that my laptop is well made and apart from some minor replacements it did not give me any issue.

Right now I prefer business class laptops like Thinkpad, Latitude, Elitebook etc. They may be costly, but they last long. Currently, I'd choose i3 processor as most of the applications are not designed with multicore in mind. IMO, if you are not into gaming or heavy processing work there is no reason to choose i5 or beyond or a graphics card.
          Comment>

Originally posted by motirattan View Post
            I use Sony Vaio SVF151218SNW which comes with 3rd generation Inter i5 processor and 1GB Nvidia GT740M Graphics Card. It's coupled with 4GB of ram. It's my first laptop but really disappointed from Sony for selling the Vaio brand to a Japanese Company but most satisfying thing is that it has hand gesture support instead of installing Flutter to do so.
            That's great. You must be a gamer. If you do not want recent games, this one will last you long.
            Comment>

Originally posted by inlight12 View Post
              I am currently using a Dell Inspiron 15" laptop from 6 years back. It's still running like a breeze. I run linux on it. My previous one was a huge old family desktop. I like the fact that my laptop is well made and apart from some minor replacements it did not give me any issue.

Right now I prefer business class laptops like Thinkpad, Latitude, Elitebook etc. They may be costly, but they last long. Currently, I'd choose i3 processor as most of the applications are not designed with multicore in mind. IMO, if you are not into gaming or heavy processing work there is no reason to choose i5 or beyond or a graphics card.
              Just curious, which resolution are you viewing this site from on a 15 inch monitor? The site displays across different resolutions, but some parts do not display at all because of @media queries. 1280px and above displays the site as intended.
              Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
                This is the first computer that I have bought preconfigured. I was into overclocking with custom cooling solutions such as water and air conditioning units. Years ago I got out of the hobby and began working on websites, I needed a computer that I did not need to fiddle with or tweak settings to run reliably for webwork. Another words I needed transparency, something that just was in the background. I use a Gateway All in One Touchscreen. I'll never buy one again, but I added 2gb additional ram for a total of 8gb. It uses Windows 10 which isn't a problem. I don't like the touchscreen on a giant 23 inch display because it takes more effort and time than the flick of a wrist movement from a mouse. Unfortunately, when any one part dies in the computer the whole computer will die since it is an All in One unit.

My next computer will be a Mac. What about you inlight? Which do you prefer and which are you currently using?

God bless,
                William
                It must be real difficult to work in an all-in-one due to touchscreen. I never used one, but I feel like that. In that case you will also not like Surface or such hybrids.

I have a huge dislike for anything Apple and especially macs. There are a few reasons for that. The first reason is their hardwares are a bit pricey. The second one is the Apple way. You usually do not have freedom to do something easily in OS X. It's either do it their (cumbersome) way or highway. Also their desktop keyboard is small and mouse is awful. Another big reason to not buy Apple is that they support homosexuality and are really big on the whole liberal agendas.
                Comment>

Just curious, which resolution are you viewing this site from on a 15 inch monitor? The site displays across different resolutions, but some parts do not display at all because of @media queries. 1280px and above displays the site as intended.
                  I am using 1366x768 resolution. But I use some browser zoom. Still, the site looks fine to me.
                  Comment>

Another big reason to not buy Apple is that they support homosexuality and are really big on the whole liberal agendas.
                    Which is definitely something I will want to consider in a future purchase. Thanks!
                    Comment>

I have an old i7 gaming laptop (dual hard drive, dedicated video card, 17.?" screen) with Windows 7. The fans in no longer work, so I have it partially disassembled, with the keyboard/base in the air and the monitor/lid flat on its back, and with a 6" clip-on fan to cool it. I use it with an external keyboard, mouse, speakers, and monitor. Even the AC adapter (an identical replacement for the original) is truly the size and weight of a standard building brick, so I have no interest lugging it around, anyway.
                      Comment>

Which is definitely something I will want to consider in a future purchase. Thanks!
                        Have a look at this video to see how much they love it.

Seriously, I cannot comprehend why Republicans bash liberalism and in the next moment buy Apple products. Yes, I am looking at you, Rush.
                        Comment>

I am not sure much of anything can be does in this area. Apple supports gay rights but so does Microsoft, Samsung, Google, Mozilla, Intel, etc. I really see no way around it. Which companies don't? People need cell phones and computers. My view is that I will use their products to promote and spread Christ as best as I am able just as the Lord used the pagans nations to punish Israel.
                          Last edited by Origen; 03-31-2016, 06:02 AM.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
                            I am not sure much of anything can be does in this area. Apple supports gay rights but so does Microsoft, Samsung, Google, Mozilla, Intel, etc. I really see no way around it. Which companies don't? People need cell phones and computers. My view is that I will use their products to promote and spread Christ as best as I am able just as the Lord used the pagans nations to punish Israel.
                            The thing is all those companies that you mentioned like Microsoft don't really care about gay rights. They are amoral. They support it to avoid criticism and to be politically correct. If tomorrow anti-gay sentiment becomes hip, they will support that. But Apple is different because most of Apple is driven by ideology first, business second. You'll never find Apple deviate from liberal agendas. They will go out of their way to show their support for that. If you are anyway familiar with the culture of Apple employees and Apple fans, you will know this.

You are free to buy any computer you want and use. But I want you to know what those you are paying really believes.
                            Comment>

The thing is all those companies that you mentioned like Microsoft don't really care about gay rights.
                              You may be right but they still do it none the less.

They are amoral.
                              No one is amoral.

They support it to avoid criticism and to be politically correct. If tomorrow anti-gay sentiment becomes hip, they will support that.
                              Again, you may be right but they still do it none the less. I see no reason to give them a pass simply because they are weak and\or profit is their motive. If anything that is all the more reason to hold them accountable.

But Apple is different because most of Apple is driven by ideology first, business second. You'll never find Apple deviate from liberal agendas. They will go out of their way to show their support for that.
                              All the other are driven by ideology, the ideology of money. I have no more respect for that than I do for Apple's ideology.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap