Discuss popular authors and favorite books. Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers.

What are you reading right now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What are you reading right now?

    Just finished this.




    Just started this.


  • #2
    Just picked up from where I left off some months ago. "A Case for Amillennialism: Understanding the End Times" by Kim Riddlebarger



    Click image for larger version

Name:	41LWa7nHVwL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	9067
    Comment>

    • #3
      I was beginning to wonder if this thread was going to get any action. Thanks William

      Hey folks it could be any kind of book or story. I, myself, have read all of Edgar Allan Poe's short stories and poems many, many times. Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories are my favorite.
      Comment>

      • #4
        I just purchased Pilgrim's Progress for my daughter. I hope she reads it. There is an incentive in the book, a hundred dollar bill, but I will not tell her that it is there. It will stay there unknown unless she reads it. :rolleyes:

        I went to a Ligonier conference where the central subject was Pilgrim's Progress. I was blown away by the story of John Bunyan and thought to pass it forward to my daughter.
        Comment>

        • #5
          I am reading again, a book by Jack Deere. " Surprised by the power of the Spirit and Surprised by the Voice of God ". I would recommend it to anyone.

          Ship Alone
          Comment>

          • #6
            Originally posted by William View Post
            There is an incentive in the book, a hundred dollar bill, but I will not tell her that it is there. It will stay there unknown unless she reads it.
            Or until she reads your post and finds out it is there.
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by theophilus View Post
              Or until she reads your post and finds out it is there.
              LOL There is a flaw in Williams' plan.
              Comment>

              • #8
                Originally posted by Origen View Post
                I was beginning to wonder if this thread was going to get any action.
                If you had used the word "watching" rather than "reading", I'd have more to say. What worthless TV show am I wasting my life with right now?
                I've been reading the 新譯本 translation of the Bible to polish my Chinese reading skills.
                Comment>

                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
                  If you had used the word "watching" rather than "reading", I'd have more to say. What worthless TV show am I wasting my life with right now?
                  LOL We can expand the topic. So what worthless TV shows are you wasting your life with right now? There is nothing really out there right now for me but The Walking Dead will be back soon.

                  Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
                  I've been reading the 新譯本 translation of the Bible to polish my Chinese reading skills.
                  Wow! Do you know any other languages?
                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Origen View Post
                    LOL We can expand the topic. So what worthless TV shows are you wasting your life with right now? There is nothing really out there right now for me but The Walking Dead will be back soon.

                    Wow! Do you know any other languages?
                    Chinese is super-easy to learn to read. The grammar of sentences is a western concept, so not a problem in Chinese. The words are pictographs, so you can learn to read Chinese in English. For example, the word for woman is the side view of a stick figure, with boobs, on her knees. It's abstract enough that you wouldn't recognize it without being told what it is, but once you know, you don't forget. When I read the Chinese word for woman, I read it as "woman". The word milk in Chinese is a pictograph of a cow along with a pictograph for, let's say, an udder. I'll actually read it in English as "milk". The closest to Chinese I speak is Sino-Korean and so a Chinese speaker would have a very hard time understanding what I'm speaking ("oo-you" for milk, "nyo" for woman, although, I actually do know the Mandarin pronunciation of these two examples).

                    With most languages, you have to actually know the language to read it, not so with Chinese. With Chinese, you just have to know the easy-to-learn alphabet, as it were.

                    Of Asian languages, I've read the Bible in Khmer (Cambodian) and Korean. Now, I'm reading it in Chinese. Asian Christians really have an uphill battle studying the Bible, because their languages are so imprecise and their translations so amateurish (i.e. I don't think the translators aren't Bible experts, so they don't see a problem with translating "daily bread" as "today's food.", for example).

                    Learning language is a hobby of mine.

                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                      Or until she reads your post and finds out it is there.
                      Just learned this morning that she has already found her Christmas gift within the book. She doesn't read this forum, though I wish she would. Perhaps next year we may see her. She's currently in her 3rd year of Nursing school working towards a B.S. from Pacific Lutheran University. She has delayed her required religious classes until her 4th year, but I hope that those classes as well as the reading material I have provided fans some dying embers.

                      God bless,
                      William
                      Comment>

                      • #12
                        Originally posted by William View Post

                        Just learned this morning that she has already found her Christmas gift within the book. She doesn't read this forum, though I wish she would. Perhaps next year we may see her. She's currently in her 3rd year of Nursing school working towards a B.S. from Pacific Lutheran University. She has delayed her required religious classes until her 4th year, but I hope that those classes as well as the reading material I have provided fans some dying embers.

                        God bless,
                        William
                        Hi William, From your bought book, we can tell that it represent Dad´s love and hope for daughter. She is a lucky girl that the God gives her a good dad. Reading your this gift post make me miss my dad more , i cant love my dad enough, I also love any gift from my dad too, the most thing my dad did for me i kept in my memory ,so that when i miss my dad , i can recall it.

                        God bless
                        Comment>

                        • #13
                          Comment>

                          • #14
                            I just started Cost Of Discipleship by Deitrich Bonhoeffer. I need to spend more time reading and less time crocheting so my cats can get in my lap (according to them anyway).
                            Comment>

                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Meg View Post
                              I just started Cost Of Discipleship by Deitrich Bonhoeffer. I need to spend more time reading and less time crocheting so my cats can get in my lap (according to them anyway).
                              Hey thanks. I completely forgot about this topic. Since you brought it up, I am almost done with this.


                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap