Arianism is the nontrinitarian, heterodoxical teaching, first attributed to Arius (c. AD 250–336), a Christian presbyter in Alexandria, Egypt.

Jesus as God and man (Zechariah 13:7)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesus as God and man (Zechariah 13:7)

Zechariah 13:7
    Awake, O sword, against My Shepherd, and against the man, My Associate, declares the LORD of hosts.
    Strike the Shepherd that the sheep may be scattered; and I will turn My hand against the little ones. (NASB)

This passage teaches that Christ is both God and man. He is referred to as the Father's "Associate" which demonstrates His equality (Deity) with the Father and He is a "man" which demonstrates His humanity.

1. Charles Feinberg: God is addressing the sword to smite his Shepherd, who can be no other than the Lord Jesus Christ (cf. Mt 26:31). Christ's death is seen here as the act of the Father. The sword represents the highest judicial power (cf. Rom 13:4) and may be used symbolically for any means of taking life. As in chapter 11, the Messiah is here seen under the figure of a Shepherd. My fellow. God speaks of his Shepherd as his Fellow, his Equal. When the word is used in Leviticus (6:2; 18:20; 25:14, 15, 17; and others), it is equal to brother. There is no stronger statement in the OT regarding the unimpeachable deity of Israel's Messiah, the Son of God (The Wycliffe Bible Commentary, page 910, the bold is mine).
    2. John Gill: the human nature of Christ is signified by "the man"; not that he was really man before his incarnation, only in the purpose and covenant of God; and he often appearing in a human form; and the Scripture speaking of things future as present; though here it regards him in the days of his flesh, and as suffering: his divine nature is expressed by being "the fellow" of the Lord of hosts; not only being near to him in place and affection, but his equal, being truly a divine Person; of the same nature, glory, and majesty, with him, though distinct from him; and so fit to be the Shepherd of the flock.
    Zechariah 13 Commentary - John Gill's Exposition on the Whole Bible
Working...
X
Articles - News - SiteMap