Arianism is the nontrinitarian, heterodoxical teaching, first attributed to Arius (c. AD 250–336), a Christian presbyter in Alexandria, Egypt.

The use of "my God" in John 20:28

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The use of "my God" in John 20:28

John 20:28
    And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. (KJV)

Because John 20:28 so clearly teaches that the Lord Jesus is God those who deny this truth have resorted to absurd ways to maintain their heresy. I will address some of them later.
    What I would like to begin with is the fact that every other time when "My God" is used in the Bible it always refers to the True God - the only exceptions I have found is when it refers to a false god/idol in Isaiah 44:17 and Daniel 4:8.
    So my question for Arians and others who deny the Lord Jesus is:
    Since "my God" is always used in reference to the True God or a false god does John 20:28 teach that the Lord Jesus is the True God or is He a false god?

In fact, because it is so obvious based on the evidence above that the Lord Jesus is the true God notice what "The Voice" version of the Bible reads:
    Thomas (filled with emotion): You are the one True God and Lord of my life.
    John 20:28 VOICE - Thomas (filled with emotion): You are - Bible Gateway

Scholars
    1. Frederick Danker: Concerning John 20:28 states that theos "certainly refers to Christ" (A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, theos, page 450).
    2. NIDNTT: Jn. 20:28 contains the unique affirmation of Thomas addressing the Risen Christ as God: "My Lord and my God [ho kyrios mou kai ho theos mou]." (2:81, God, J. Schneider).
    3. TDNT: In reference to Christ in John 20:28, "He is God for believers" (3:106, theos, Stauffer).
    4. A. T. Robertson: Thomas was wholly convinced and did not hesitate to address the Risen Christ as Lord and God. And Jesus accepts the words and praises Thomas for so doing.
    John 20 Commentary - Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament
    5. W. E. Vine: Thomas, when he realized the significance of the presence of a mortal wound in the body of a living man, immediately joined with it the absolute title of Deity, saying, 'My Lord and my God,' John 20:28 . (Lord)
    Lord, Lordship - Vine's Expository Dictionary of NT Words - Bible Dictionary - StudyLight.org
    6. Robert Bowman and J. Ed Komoszewski: Recognizing Jesus as the One who has conquered death itself for us, we too are to respond to Jesus and confess that he is our Lord and our God (Putting Jesus in His Place: The Case for the Deity of Christ, page 143).
    7. Murray Harris: The Prologue ends (1:18) as it begins (1:1), and the Gospel ends (20:28) as it begins (1:1), with an assertion of the deity of Jesus (Jesus as God: The New Testament Use of Theos in Reference to Jesus, page 128)

Challenges by those who deny the Lord Jesus is God
    1. Thomas simply responded in excitement so that his words were not directed to the Lord Jesus but were merely an exclamation due to his surprise.
    a. Unlike today people did not go around so casually and blasphemously uttering the words "My God". Leviticus 24:16 taught the death penalty for such a transgression. Seeing that the Lord Jesus did not correct Thomas for what he said renders this argument completely absurd.
    b. Robert Jamieson, Andrew Robert Fausset, and David Brown: The Socinian evasion of the supreme divinity of Christ here manifestly taught-as if it were a mere call upon God in a fit of astonishment-is beneath notice, except for the profanity which it charges upon this disciple, and the straits to which it shows themselves reduced.
    John 20 Commentary - Jamieson, Fausset and Brown's Unabridged Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible
    2. Thomas referred "God" to the Father and "Lord" to the Lord Jesus.
    a. Charles Ellicott: My Lord and my God.—These words are preceded by “said unto him,” and are followed by “because thou hast seen Me, thou hast believed;” and the words “my Lord” can only be referred to Christ. (Comp. John 20:13.) The sentence cannot therefore, without violence to the context, be taken as an exclamation addressed to God, and is to be understood in the natural meaning of a confession by the Apostle that his Lord was also God.
    John 20 Commentary - Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
    3. John 20:17 (cf. Revelation 3:12) teach that the Lord Jesus addresses the Father as "My God" therefore the Lord Jesus isn't God.
    a. This doesn't negate the Lord Jesus is God (John 20:28) for it affirms that both the Father and the Lord Jesus ought to be referred to as "My God".
    4. John 20:31 teaches that the Lord Jesus is the Son of God.
    a. As with #3 this doesn't negate the Lord Jesus is God for it affirms that in addition to "God" He is also the Son of God. It's not an either/or but rather a both/and.
    Both the Father and the Lord Jesus are to be referred to as "My God" and the Lord Jesus is both God and the Son of God.

Revelation 4:11
    Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created (NASB).
    a. Notice the Greek text concerning "our Lord and our God" in Revelation 4:11 and "My Lord and my God" in John 20:28.
    ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν - the Lord and the God of us (Revelation 4:11).
    ὁ κύριός μου καὶ ὁ θεός μου - the Lord of me and the God of me (John 20:28).
    The only difference being the use of the pronouns "my" (John 20:28) and "our" (Revelation 4:11).
    Just like the Father is both the Lord and the God for Christians so too the Lord Jesus is both the Lord and the God for Christians.

Oh, I agree. The problem that many people have with scripture is that they try to make it fit their own agendas. They do not actually take it at face value either....
    Comment>
    Working...
    X
    Articles - News - SiteMap