What are we doing when we gather corporately and sing our praise to God? What is our intent? What is it that we believe we are achieving?

If you believe, this cup is for you.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    If you believe, this cup is for you.

    I read a similar topic and thought I'd ask who takes the Lords supper in your church and why do you hold to that policy?

    #2
    In my church the Lord's supper is open to anyone who is a believer in Jesus Christ.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

      #3
      wants to roll out all the fill in the blank clutter. jesus knows best sort of type of. take a piece of jesus got us
      Comment>

        #4
        Originally posted by boshy b. Wise View Post
        wants to roll out all the fill in the blank clutter. jesus knows best sort of type of. take a piece of jesus got us
        What? Your comments make no sense. Please speak plainly, clearly, to the point.
        Comment>

          #5
          Originally posted by boshy b. Wise View Post
          wants to roll out all the fill in the blank clutter. jesus knows best sort of type of. take a piece of jesus got us
          You have been verbally warned twice now.

          God bless,
          William
          Comment>

            #6
            Originally posted by Innerfire89 View Post
            I read a similar topic and thought I'd ask who takes the Lords supper in your church and why do you hold to that policy?
            Our church limits access to the Communion table. The access is limited by a verbal fencing and not a physical fencing. Any member of the Church is invited to partake of communion in our church. A member of the Church must have made a verbal profession of faith in a Bible believing church, and also have been baptized. Though children are considered members and received the mark, sign, and seal of the New Covenant through baptism they are considered incommunicable members until they make a profession of faith.

            Our Communion is usually accompanied by a reading of 1 Corinthians 11 with emphasis on 11:27, Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord.

            The reading warns and cautions all to examine themselves and is what we consider "verbal fencing".

            God bless,
            William
            Comment>

              #7
              Originally posted by William View Post

              Our church limits access to the Communion table. The access is limited by a verbal fencing and not a physical fencing. Any member of the Church is invited to partake of communion in our church. A member of the Church must have made a verbal profession of faith in a Bible believing church, and also have been baptized. Though children are considered members and received the mark, sign, and seal of the New Covenant through baptism they are considered incommunicable members until they make a profession of faith.

              Our Communion is usually accompanied by a reading of 1 Corinthians 11 with emphasis on 11:27, Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord.

              The reading warns and cautions all to examine themselves and is what we consider "verbal fencing".

              God bless,
              William
              What about non members?


              We share the same practice when it comes to members and unconfrimed children. Non members are welcomed and 1 Cor. 11:27-29 is always stated beforehand.
              Comment>

                #8
                Originally posted by Innerfire89 View Post

                What about non members?


                We share the same practice when it comes to members and unconfrimed children. Non members are welcomed and 1 Cor. 11:27-29 is always stated beforehand.
                By non member I am assuming you mean a non-catholic? I'd call them attendees. If a person doesn't belong to our particular church but has professed faith in a bible believing church and been baptized they are welcome. They are considered members of the catholic Church.

                Our church encourages non members of the catholic (universal) Church to refrain from partaking of communion and to speak to an elder about becoming a member and baptism. Again, this is a verbal fencing.

                Historically speaking, I believe Calvin actually physically fenced the table. He observed a group of libertines that would live life throughout the week in an unworthy manner. They would be seen gambling, getting drunk, partaking of sexual immoral acts etc and they'd boldly approach the Communion table on the Lord's day. Calvin actually covered the elements by outstretching his arms fencing it from them. The OPC doesn't go that far.

                I am aware that some churches do require good standing to partake of Communion. I think, if memory serves me right that they require a letter of good standing from the elders.

                Does your church do anything special for non-catholic attendees?

                Note, I'm writing this based on my observation and not according to any church guidelines which they may follow.

                God bless,
                William
                Comment>

                  #9
                  For the Church of England it is those confirmed in the church, and those of other Anglican or Catholic faiths who would normally take communion. Those who are unconfirmed may instead request a blessing if they go up. I have heard of churchs that make exceptions or allow others to take communion, but normally such cases have to be discussed with the officient first.
                  Comment>

                    #10
                    Originally posted by William View Post

                    By non member I am assuming you mean a non-catholic? I'd call them attendees. If a person doesn't belong to our particular church but has professed faith in a bible believing church and been baptized they are welcome. They are considered members of the catholic Church.

                    Our church encourages non members of the catholic (universal) Church to refrain from partaking of communion and to speak to an elder about becoming a member and baptism. Again, this is a verbal fencing.

                    Historically speaking, I believe Calvin actually physically fenced the table. He observed a group of libertines that would live life throughout the week in an unworthy manner. They would be seen gambling, getting drunk, partaking of sexual immoral acts etc and they'd boldly approach the Communion table on the Lord's day. Calvin actually covered the elements by outstretching his arms fencing it from them. The OPC doesn't go that far.

                    I am aware that some churches do require good standing to partake of Communion. I think, if memory serves me right that they require a letter of good standing from the elders.

                    Does your church do anything special for non-catholic attendees?

                    Note, I'm writing this based on my observation and not according to any church guidelines which they may follow.

                    God bless,
                    William
                    No. We just give the warning of 1 Cor. 11:27-29.
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap