What are we doing when we gather corporately and sing our praise to God? What is our intent? What is it that we believe we are achieving?

Sunday School/Bible Study: Participate or be taught

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday School/Bible Study: Participate or be taught

If you attend Sunday School (or other Bible study) do you prefer to be taught while you sit quietly and listen? Have you even been in an interactive class that allows for participation? Which one do you get more out of?

The church I attended before I moved offered a variety of classes. I felt like I learned more in the interactive one. Other people sometimes pick up on things that we don't, and when they share, we can learn from their perspective as well (instead of the single perspective offered by the instructor). It also created a warm sense of fellowship. It became a very close knit group of people who would get together and pray and help each other in many ways.

I miss it, actually.

I am with you. Interactive, always interactive.
    Comment>

I really enjoyed the class I mentioned. At first I thought that I wouldn't really have much to contribute, since some of the folks seemed more more learned than I was. I felt at home almost immediately though, and I felt like I actually contributed. I was going through something rough at the time, and I guess sharing that was helpful to some people. They sure made me feel closer to God, despite the awful time I was having. The fellowship was great.

Our teacher was really quite good, but I still learned a lot more just talking/sharing with the others. It really created quite a bond.
      Comment>

G'day thisnthat,

Glad your bible study and fellowship was fruitful.

I attend weekly bible study with my wife and around five to six others on avg. We are led by a wonderful man that holds the office of teacher in the OPC. The group is the perfect size, and because of that there is enough time to accept everyone's thoughts and comments on a verse. We usually read a complete paragraph and make our way through it from the beginning verse to the end of it. To let you know how tedious this is, we've been in John for two years and only up to chapter 4. Besides bible study we also have fellowship time. The fellowships allow for personal bonding etc. Not to mention my wife and I try to make it a habit of inviting a church member out for lunch or dinner at least once a month.

I definitely prefer interaction because I need practice articulating my arguments, or commentary aloud. It isn't like typing on a keyboard where I usually type out a few thoughts and then expand on them. If I spoke the way I type I'd sound like a cave man :p

Non interaction? I get too much of that throughout the week on the computer listening to or viewing lectures etc.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

I think Sunday School is more meaningful when it is an interactive experience where the students feel like they're participating and contributing, rather than sitting there listening to someone talk at them for hours.

But that's also my opinion of any kind of class, no matter what the subject. Kids---and people in general---are being invested when you make them feel like they're a part of something, and feel like you're truly engaging and interacting and talking TO them, as opposed to AT them.
          Comment>

There are advantages to both interactive classes and just listening to good teachers. A good teaching program should include both.
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

Jester85 I like that. I agree that people tend to feel more invested the more they are involved in the process. I always got the most out of interactive classes in school as well. The classes where we got to participate did a lot more for me than the ones where the teacher simply lectured or said go read the book. I don't think it has to be all one or the other.

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
              There are advantages to both interactive classes and just listening to good teachers. A good teaching program should include both.
              You also make a good point. The class I referenced did have parts where the teacher actually taught as well. He'd begin the lesson, but then we'd all begin sharing our thoughts and feelings too. I felt like I learned a lot, even though there wasn't a strict structure.
              Comment>

My favorite teacher in high school was my history teacher, because he was one of the all-too-few teachers who seemed truly invested and enthusiastic and had class discussions and made it an interactive experience rather than standing there droning out of a history book for 45 minutes while we struggle not to fall asleep.

Obviously he wasn't a Sunday School teacher, but I think the same basic principle applies.
                Comment>

I totally get what you're saying. I do think we have a bit more drive to learn about God than we do about subjects in high school though. When you're in Sunday School because you want to be there, rather than being in school because you have to be there, I think there's a big difference.

Still, keeping things interesting and keeping "students" involved is very important, in my opinion. I never felt like such a real part of a church as I did when I was in that particular class.
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap