What are we doing when we gather corporately and sing our praise to God? What is our intent? What is it that we believe we are achieving?

Traditional Hymns or Contemporary Music?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    I like that. Your last sentence gives good perspective. Since you said that, I guess hymns do seem somewhat more reverent, at least compared to pop style Christian music or Christian rock. Not all contemporary songs fit these genres though.

    I still think God enjoys it when we sing praises to Him in any form, so I don't really see it as right or wrong. But yeah, reverence is a good thing, and He certainly deserves more of it.
    Comment>

      #17
      I prefer traditional hymns and I attend a church that only sings contemporary music. I continue to go to this church because I think the preaching of the Bible is more important than the kind of music that is offered.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

        #18
        I grew up singing Traditional Hymns and I would never exchange them for Contemporary Music. Sure, there are great new artists and compositions nowadays, but the memories I have that are attached with the old hymns can never be replaced. Old hymns are easier to remember and sing.
        Comment>

          #19
          I think I like what a minister said one time about music-and he said that its not his job to teach what is "good church music",but to have a experience with God. I like all kinds of music that makes you feel God is with you, including at Christmas time-and watching the St. Olaf choir(songs like silent night) on PBS TV and I really enjoy this. But also I like the New Age music which is considered contemporary religious music sometimes-and one example would be the singer Enya which makes me feel closer to God sometimes as well.

          Comment>

            #20
            Originally posted by FolkArtist View Post
            I like all kinds of music that makes you feel God is with you
            Our feelings aren't always a reliable indication of whether or not God is with us.
            Last edited by theophilus; 06-17-2017, 06:27 AM.
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

              #21
              I agree -- the hymns tend to have more doctrine within them. I'm in my late 60's and until recently, was in traditional hymn singing church. Some 'Praise and Worship' music doesn't have much of any doctrine.

              These posts have been interesting to read.
              Comment>

                #22
                I love traditional hyms. However, contemporary music is also good. Though I feel more close to the traditional hyms which we have been singing since childhood. As they say "Old is Gold." So all those songs are gold.
                Comment>

                  #23
                  I will go with traditional hymns. In my opinion traditional hymns are prayers that have healing power, where as contemporary music are music that only entertain us. Hymns connect us with God, and music only gives pleasant feelings.
                  Comment>

                    #24
                    Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                    Our feelings aren't always a reliable indication of whether or not God is will us.
                    A truth which had to be told.

                    The moment we make the shift from faith to feelings, things do not go well for us.
                    Last edited by thatbrian; 06-18-2017, 12:12 PM.
                    Comment>

                      #25
                      Hymns usually have music -- and Also can be very doctrinal in nature. Amazing Grace/ The Old Rugged Cross. have been two of my favorites over the years. The music used Can make or break the message of the song. Meaning that sometimes an older song is 'up-dated' with a swingier beat and That can take the message out of the song.
                      Comment>

                        #26
                        I love listening to Hymns a lot especially those ones that are very striking and soul lifting. I enjoy well composed very meaningful contemporary music but the fact is I would chose Hymns over contemporary songs. Personally I think Hymns are more organised and speaks more directly to the listener.
                        Comment>

                          #27
                          Originally posted by tony View Post
                          I love listening to Hymns a lot especially those ones that are very striking and soul lifting. I enjoy well composed very meaningful contemporary music but the fact is I would chose Hymns over contemporary songs. Personally I think Hymns are more organised and speaks more directly to the listener.
                          I would agree :)
                          Comment>

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Sue D. View Post
                            Hymns usually have music -- and Also can be very doctrinal in nature. Amazing Grace/ The Old Rugged Cross. have been two of my favorites over the years. The music used Can make or break the message of the song. Meaning that sometimes an older song is 'up-dated' with a swingier beat and That can take the message out of the song.
                            I get choked up every time I hear or especially sing "The Old Rugged Cross." Just thinking about what Jesus had to go through for us, for me... it touches my heart. "Amazing Grace" has always been one of my favorites. Not only is it beautiful, but it's also very inspiring.

                            "How Great Thou Art," is a favorite of mine. It makes me think about all the things He has made and done for us. Even something as simple as a breeze is made for us, to refresh us. He takes such good care of us..
                            Comment>
                            Working...
                            X
                            Articles - News - SiteMap