What are we doing when we gather corporately and sing our praise to God? What is our intent? What is it that we believe we are achieving?

Traditional Hymns or Contemporary Music?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Hymns or Contemporary Music?

I prefer the Traditional Hymns. Which do you prefer?

Traditional
    Comment>

Remix of Traditional Hymns ... the ONLY thing worse than bad contemprary lyrics, is a listless perfomance of an old hymn mumbled dutifully by an unenthusiastic body of 'believers'.
      ("Please Lord snatch me away before the next song, I am ready for the rapture NOW!")
      Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
        Remix of Traditional Hymns ... the ONLY thing worse than bad contemprary lyrics, is a listless perfomance of an old hymn mumbled dutifully by an unenthusiastic body of 'believers'.
        ("Please Lord snatch me away before the next song, I am ready for the rapture NOW!")
        This is a common complaint from one of our congregants. Many hymns are not played in a key that many of us can hit.

Personally, I like ones that are of middle range, or at least something that I can sing in a lower key than everyone else and still sound like I am part of the group.
        Comment>

Comment>

Sign me up for "Traditional". Real traditional. I can think of only like one contemporary Christian song I'm aware of and like. ;)
            Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
              Sometimes I wish our congregation were recorded, but like most Reformed they probably would object because the attention would be shifted from God to us people.

I prefer Traditional Hymns.

God bless,
              William
              Comment>

I like a mix of the traditional hymns and contemporary music. There are messages or songs that are better presented through the traditional hymns.
                Comment>

I shall freely acknowledge that I DESPISE modern Christian "music". It offends my sense of taste. The modern noise that constitutes Christian music tries to ape secular styles, and results in a disastrous imp of a cross-bred child of both churchly music and the secular profane music it tries to emulate.

The traditional hymns were written with a goal in mind, that goal being to present doctrine in a beautiful, glorious, uplifting manner. Obviously there are some that do this better or worse than others. But they ALL do it better than the banal "hymns" or the rock church music of today. I could go on at some length about this, but I shall refrain rather than run the risk of repeating myself
                  Comment>

I'm mostly with you Diego. I was in a United Presbyterian Church as a kid (now PCUSA), and once I left Sunday School, I learned very little about theology, doctrine, or the Christian faith in general, EXCEPT from the singing of hymns :)

There are a number of contemporary artists who I believe are excellent though, both as musicians, and because of the lyrics of their songs. Michael Card comes quickly to mind, Glad, and certain songs by artists like Kari Jobe (which are contemporary, but also have a very important message/admonishment for us). Here's one of hers that I particularly enjoy:

Also, I'm 60, and I used to make my living as a symphony musician (so I'm not a big fan of rap music), but I am fascinated and enjoy the music and lyrics of LaCrae, and I am thrilled to realize the people he is able to reach for the Lord because of it :)

In case you've never heard his music, here's one of his songs as well:

In Christ,
                    David
                    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"Instead of a river, God often gives us a brook, which may be running today and dried up tomorrow. Why? To teach us not to rest in our blessings, but in the Blesser Himself." ~A. W. Pink

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                    Comment>

Traditional hymns. If the church has a good choir to accompany the congregation, the sound is like nothing else. If there are several hundred people singing don't worry about being off-key, because no one will hear. Isn't it more important to be present and participating than worry that your neighbours will judge you for singing badly?

I've never really got into modern Christian music. I tend to find it feels uncomfortably personal or rather bland, and doesn't seem to have much to do with the traditional music of the church.
                      Comment>

I have to admit that I do like some of the contemporary Christian music, but I grew up with traditional hymns. I love them. I find them inspiring and soothing and a great way to worship. I think we can praise God with a group or even on our own. I often sing in the car, and most often, it's the traditional hymns that come to mind when I'm singing His praises.
                        Comment>

I enjoy both traditional and contemporary. I just don't subscribe to the one pace continually.Therefore, there are times when I enjoy a mood change. The contemporary lyrics may be different to what many have been used to but if it's praising God, then I won't have a problem with it. Some people may have a problem with the tempo of the contemporary productions but that's their right to so do. The tempo of the music whether contemporary or traditional will not cause anyone to sin or be saved, it's what you do that may cause you to be holy in the sight of God or cause you to fall from grace.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by explorerx7 View Post
                            I enjoy both traditional and contemporary. I just don't subscribe to the one pace continually.Therefore, there are times when I enjoy a mood change. The contemporary lyrics may be different to what many have been used to but if it's praising God, then I won't have a problem with it. Some people may have a problem with the tempo of the contemporary productions but that's their right to so do. The tempo of the music whether contemporary or traditional will not cause anyone to sin or be saved, it's what you do that may cause you to be holy in the sight of God or cause you to fall from grace.
                            I have heard some people say that. They aren't comfortable with the contemporary tempo. Some feel like it's trying to conform to worldly music. Some really don't like Christian rock, but even the more contemporary "church music" seems to make them uncomfortable.

I also feel like some people just don't like change. If they truly feel it is wrong, I don't blame them for wanting to avoid it. Personally, I don't have an issue with it.

Comment>

I prefer traditional hymns. The church I attend uses contemporary Christian music for worship most of the time but for special occasions, there's a special choir that sings traditional hymns. Our music ministry consists mostly of younger people who are understandably more into pop music. On the other hand, the special choir consists of relatively older singers with some classical training, Hearing them sing during a service is precious. I like traditional hymns not because I'm familiar with them. In fact, because I was a Catholic most of my life, I was never familiar with most Christian hymns other than those that are being sung repeatedly during masses. I just feel that this type of Christian music best expresses what I feel towards God and the faith, respect, and awe that He inspires and deserves.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap