The forum for teaching, teachers and teachers-to-be.

Five Signs of a Babbling Professional Church Talker.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Five Signs of a Babbling Professional Church Talker.

1.) They spend their Sermon time trying to get their listeners to do things they themseves do not materially demonstrate. Jesus and The Apostles materially demonstrated all they preached.

2.) They provide to their audience prechewed, partially digested, and regurgitated Spiritual Food, rather than requiring their listeners to step up and feed themselves The Word of God. They run a Spiritual Welfare Soup Kitchen, where they want their listeners to remain utterly dependent upon them for spiritual food.

3.) They mix their personal feelings, opinions, ideas, hopes, desires, exaggerations, and agendas in with The Word of God, and then try to call the resulting mixture "The Word of God."

4.) They skillfully use nonstop rhetoric devices to leverage their listeners into agreement with them, as if they have the best and final explanations of Righteousness before God.

5.) They are unable to be interrupted during the delivery of their planned comments from the pulpit. They are thin skinned, afraid, and arrogant.

Originally posted by Garrison View Post
    1.) They spend their Sermon time trying to get their listeners to do things they themseves do not materially demonstrate. Jesus and The Apostles materially demonstrated all they preached.

2.) They provide to their audience prechewed, partially digested, and regurgitated Spiritual Food, rather than requiring their listeners to step up and feed themselves The Word of God. They run a Spiritual Welfare Soup Kitchen, where they want their listeners to remain utterly dependent upon them for spiritual food.

3.) They mix their personal feelings, opinions, ideas, hopes, desires, exaggerations, and agendas in with The Word of God, and then try to call the resulting mixture "The Word of God."

4.) They skillfully use nonstop rhetoric devices to leverage their listeners into agreement with them, as if they have the best and final explanations of Righteousness before God.

5.) They are unable to be interrupted during the delivery of their planned comments from the pulpit. They are thin skinned, afraid, and arrogant.
    I attended a graduation ceremony a couple of months ago. The priest (a woman) came out wearing a rainbow sash. For the doxology she read a lengthy poem by a well known atheist. Then she said amen.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

My wife and i attended a weeding recently, The Minister was a woman. She read a poem and read one Scripture taken out of context. This was not a traditional service by any means. After the ceremony the minister talked with us and the subject came about what denomination she belonged to, Methodist she said, she and her "partner" marry people for a living now, she said. We were afraid to ask too much after that.

We left wondering why this nice couple asked her to marry them. These two had said they were Christians, we left doubting that too. A sign of the times.

justme
      Comment>

Originally posted by justme View Post
        We left wondering why this nice couple asked her to marry them. These two had said they were Christians, we left doubting that too. A sign of the times.
        When we've got to the point where church services are amended by the vicar to avoid offending non-Christians who might be present, it is getting ridiculous. It was all over the news here, as in doing so the church managed to offend the veterans the church service was held in honour of.

If you try to please everyone, you will please no one.
        Comment>

The term "Christian" can be used / applied Very broadly.
          Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
            The priest (a woman) came out wearing a rainbow sash. For the doxology she read a lengthy poem by a well known atheist. Then she said amen.
            Good grief.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Eric T. View Post
              Good grief.

Very sad -- a bit sickening. Okay -- a Lot sickening.
              Comment>

Relatively new to the site so please pardon my ignorance however I noticed the starter of this thread is banned. How can someone be banned and still participate in the forums?
                Comment>

Our pastor's sermons get shorter and shorter.I could be wrong but yesterday's seemed to be about 5 minutes plus(not exaggerating). I have begun to call them sermonettes.Unfortunately there is a dearth of anything that resembles a sound congregations in our area.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                    Relatively new to the site so please pardon my ignorance however I noticed the starter of this thread is banned. How can someone be banned and still participate in the forums?
                    I'm not a mod, but I'd guess that since they started the thread before they were banned and it has posts, it's been left up for people to continue discussing.

I've noticed the congregations here are shrinking. It looks like the wider the group of people the churches try to attract, the fewer actually come. Maybe they should take a page from from marketing more and try to appeal to their niche or target audience rather than everyone regardless of their beliefs...

Comment>

Thanks sister. I thought that might be the case.
                      Comment>

Our pastor's sermons get shorter and shorter.I could be wrong but yesterday's seemed to be about 5 minutes plus(not exaggerating). I have begun to call them sermonettes.Unfortunately there is a dearth of anything that resembles a sound congregations in our area.
                        Perhaps is God directing you to talk with your pastor about spur concerns? Maybe if after talking with him and there is no real change, you can talk with your deacon about this? If you have done all of these things and you have prayed for guidance, God might be directing you to a new m church where you can be feed and where you can use your gifts and serve elsewhere. I would pray seriously for the lords leading, as making a change of churches has many issues. The issues of changing churches effects the friends you leave behind and this is very hard on your family and spiritual health. Often people become discouraged in looking for a church and stop looking for a period of time and they drift away form the Lord. So Dutch seek the Lord is my advice.

justme
                        Comment>

Thanks sister. I have talked with the pastor and with the deacon and while they agree in theory in practice nothing changes. I have been praying for guidance but our viable options are scarce.I will continue to pray and seek. Thanks again sister.
                          Comment>

Thanks sister. I have talked with the pastor and with the deacon and while they agree in theory in practice nothing changes. I have been praying for guidance but our viable options are scarce.I will continue to pray and seek. Thanks again sister.
                            Justme here, Dutch I is a "HE" not a "She" But if you insist you can call me anything you want, except for late for......church. Blessings.

justme
                            Comment>

Sorry I apologize profusely for my error.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap