Spiritual warfare is the Christian concept that the Devil and demons attempt to thwart Good and the will of God.

Books on Biblical Demonology?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books on Biblical Demonology?

I am curious if anyone can recommend some good books on Biblical demonology? I've read a couple* that were interesting, but I could see reading more.

* They were:
    • Powers of Evil: A Biblical Study of Satan and Demons, by Sydney H. T. Page (1995)
    • Biblical Demonology, by Merril Unger (1965)
    Thanks much. :)

I recommend "Spiritual Warfare" titles and not demonology. Here's one I have read which mainly presents many case studies from the perspective of Christian psychology or counseling: The Handbook for Spiritual Warfare

To be honest, I'm quite conflicted about "demonology" or other books on topics where the Bible is silent. I think there is a lot of wisdom in learning to be silent where the Bible is silent, and not dabbing into areas we do not belong.

I also recommend the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. I thought the book was highly entertaining.

Lastly, I am curious about your eschatological view, because it may influence your perception of the underworld. Do you believe Satan is currently bound? May I recommend a reading? Revelation Twenty - The binding of Satan

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Thank you for the recommendation. The Handbook for Spiritual Warfare rings a bell, but I honestly don't recall if I have read it. I am adding it to check out on tomorrow's to do list. The Screwtape Letters is a fantastic classic and I've read it a few times. There is a modern derivative called Lord Foulgrin's Letters, which I've read a couple times, that is pretty good too, but I digress.

The views on eschatology is harder to answer. We Mennonites don't devote a ton of time to it, though, obviously, we believe the Lord is going to return. If I was pressed to choose a position, I guess I'd say partial preterist, though I think the topic warrants more study. Concerning Satan, based upon the New Testament, I believe the devil and his angels are active in this world as tempters, etc. I'll print out a copy of that link to read over.

Anyway, thank you again. :)
      Comment>

I was going to recommend The Screwtape Letters, but I see you've already read it :)
        Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>

I'm really uncomfortable about stuff like that, even in movies. So I'd rather not read about them, especially when it comes to Biblical stuff, as I tend to get a bad feeling when the topic comes to the conversation. I don't know why, maybe it's because of my incredibly religious upbringing, or the fact that I grew up in a religious country, but the idea of demonology is sort of a taboo, and I tend to keep it that way. It was that way when I was growing up, and it's more of the fear of the unknown more than anything, and I'd rather not get my hands on these things. Good luck though!
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap