A forum to discuss the world of missions and evangelism. We believe that every individual and every church should be deeply committed both to local evangelism and to global missions.

Hanging out with nonbelievers?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it is a good thing we are not hanging out with non-believers.
    We seem to be able to do enough damage within the Body without exporting it to the lost ... they have enough problems already.

Galatians 5:13-15 NASB For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, “YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.” But if you bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by one another.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Innerfire89 View Post
      There's nothing friendly about telling people they're not baptized with The Holy Spirit because they don't speak in tongues, something Pentecostals/charismatics are known for.
      Many who claim to speak in tongues put themselves up on an unbiblical pedistol.
      You do realize that only a tiny fraction of Pentecostals believe that, so you are condemning the majority based on the wrong belief of a few. Unfortunately, the FEW are probably not on CF, so it is only the many that are being unfairly attacked.

There are some Calvinists that believe in positive-positive Double Predestination ... that God created some for salvation and with equal delight, God created others to be damned because it pleases God to damn them. Would it be fair to hold them up as the yardstick every time we discuss REFORMED theology and damn you by association as a fellow Calvinist?

Should we lump all Presbyterians in with the PCUSA and talk about your unbiblical liberalism?

The issue is we are tending to attack one another by holding up the worst examples as "typical" (and for the record, all sides are guilty ... including me) when we really, if we wish to engage in honest conversation as Christians, hold up the BEST of the opposition as the example to discuss.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Paoli B. View Post
        The ones that don't believe in it and say it's not for today can be unfriendly and fanatic about their opinion.
        Originally posted by Paoli B. View Post
        Well I guess this forum is not for me.
        I wish you all the best.
        Maybe some other people might join you folks here.
        That would bring the crowd up to about 5 regular posters.
        Wish you all a merry christmas and great 2018.
        Nice passive-aggressive response ... I admire that sort of cleverness. :)

However, as a fellow Pentecostal, I have to say that it seems a little dishonest to throw out thinly veiled statements calling EVERYONE who disagrees with you unfriendly, and then acting hurt when they do not respond with love. You spit in their corn flakes first.

Rather than thinking of them as someone waiting to attack your beliefs, think of them as someone that Jesus loved enough to give his life for and see if you can find some common ground. What we ALL have in common is greater than our minor differences.
        If they refuse to see the working of the spirit in some people through the Charismata, what harm is that to us? They are poorer for the loss of the experience, but that is a matter between them and God. Just as the Pentecostal fakes cannot steal anything from the genuine Pentecostal experience.

If you are open to how other people experience God and understand the relationship to Jesus Christ, there are shades of God's Love and Glory to be seen in every local body of believers. Learn from the Presbyterians about the amazing SOVEREIGNTY of God. Let the Wesleyans show you what it means to really LIVE a Christian life. We Charismatics can teach our Christian brothers a thing or two about God's MIRACULOUS POWER and unconditional LOVE (which are inseparably linked through the Holy Spirit that is in ALL of us).

However, it is OUR job as Pentecostals to teach the others about unconditional LOVE (that is our gift to the BODY).
        So grow some thicker skin and start acting like a Pentecostal!
        Last edited by atpollard; 12-05-2017, 11:19 AM.
        Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
          You do realize that only a tiny fraction of Pentecostals believe that, so you are condemning the majority based on the wrong belief of a few. Unfortunately, the FEW are probably not on CF, so it is only the many that are being unfairly attacked.

There are some Calvinists that believe in positive-positive Double Predestination ... that God created some for salvation and with equal delight, God created others to be damned because it pleases God to damn them. Would it be fair to hold them up as the yardstick every time we discuss REFORMED theology and damn you by association as a fellow Calvinist?

Should we lump all Presbyterians in with the PCUSA and talk about your unbiblical liberalism?

The issue is we are tending to attack one another by holding up the worst examples as "typical" (and for the record, all sides are guilty ... including me) when we really, if we wish to engage in honest conversation as Christians, hold up the BEST of the opposition as the example to discuss.
          Now I don't assume all Pentecostals/charismatics believe that way. But when someone makes a comment that seems to put those who speak in tounges as a sepical group than I will point their error.

But I shouldn't have mabe a thing out of it.

​​​​​
          Comment>

Originally posted by Innerfire89 View Post
            Now I don't assume all Pentecostals/charismatics believe that way. But when someone makes a comment that seems to put those who speak in tounges as a sepical group than I will point their error.
            But I shouldn't have mabe a thing out of it.​​​​​
            He came looking for an argument and got a poke in the nose.
            [I have "been there, done that" a time or two myself.]

That I said the wrong thing at the wrong time and hurt Origen (someone I like and admire) still bothers me every day. So it is just an open sore that I am extra sensitive to at the moment.
            So don't beat yourself up, just look for opportunities to build bridges rather than walls. I think CF will be better off for our efforts.
            [There are lots of on-line places I can go to argue and few places I can go to talk.]
            Comment>

Well -- we Do need to acknowledge that there Are differences in belief systems. There's no need to argue about them. But we Also need to know What we believe and Why. What do we base our beliefs On -- God's Word or church tradition or whatever else might come in to the picture.

A person Can approach with "well - what about 'this'?" rather than say flat out ,"No you're Wrong"' -- the other person might Be 'dead wrong' -- but a soft approach could help the other person 'listen' easier. The goal should be to listen to the other person -- find out where they're coming From in order to lead them To faith in Christ. And then their and our spiritual growth.

"Talking" is always a good thing :) Listening / hearing is right next to it :)
              Comment>

He came looking for an argument and got a poke in the nose.
                [I have "been there, done that" a time or two myself.]
                I suspect they were an Oneness Pentecostal, from the get go they were confronted about their heretical belief. When they were confronted they stated that this forum has a "nasty spirit". I watched them change their denomination affiliation in order to draw less controversy. Obviously, they wanted us to tickle their ears rather than confront them.

That I said the wrong thing at the wrong time and hurt Origen (someone I like and admire) still bothers me every day. So it is just an open sore that I am extra sensitive to at the moment.
                I have lost a few friendships over disagreements. It isn't much of a friendship, unfortunately, when we can go a good length of time without disagreement only to reach our first one and it result in going separate ways. I consider the issue the fault of the Admin because I did not emphasize our staff belief statement. Signs were there early on, but it was overlooked for the sake of fellowship.

It isn't our fault atpollard that a previous Synod which Calvinist place much emphasis on condemned a damnable heresy. We can't change history, it is what it is. We either agree with the Synod or we don't.

Don't let it bother you, obviously it wasn't worth talking about or attempting to make peace over given no opportunity was presented.

God bless,
                William
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap