A forum to discuss the world of missions and evangelism. We believe that every individual and every church should be deeply committed both to local evangelism and to global missions.

Hanging out with nonbelievers?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hanging out with nonbelievers?

    Do you think we should be making friend with and hanging out with nonbelievers to try and bring them the Gospel? I hear this a lot lately and wonder if it's the correct way to evangelize, and if so, how I do we go about doing so?


    #2
    I am an old guy, but bad company corrupts good behavior. That's what my mom used to say. Its true. Share your testimony, but hangout with your christian friends, so much better.


    justme
    Comment>

      #3
      Originally posted by justme View Post
      I am an old guy, but bad company corrupts good behavior. That's what my mom used to say. Its true. Share your testimony, but hangout with your christian friends, so much better.


      justme
      Good point, and your mother must've known Scripture well. 1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be deceived: bad company ruins good morals.
      Comment>

        #4
        To reach people with the gospel you need to build relationships but your friends those you associate with most should be your Christian friends,people of like faith and mind.
        Comment>

          #5
          Hanging out with non-believers -- depends on your reason for doing such. If you're a new believer then your friends are probably non-Christians and it depends on the character of those people. A new believer Became a believer through some means. Your New desire would be to get to know other Christians. If you Were with those with habits you shouldn't be continuing, chances are they might question Your change -- a good witnessing opportunity. Or they might distance themselves from you.

          A new believer Might find him/her self alone for a while in the process of developing new activities / friends.

          As 'Dutch' commented -- believers need to be willing to build relationships with non-believers -- how else will they hear the Gospel. Believers Should be able to show non-believers what good, wholesome fun consists of.
          Comment>

            #6
            Originally posted by Sue D. View Post
            Hanging out with non-believers -- depends on your reason for doing such. If you're a new believer then your friends are probably non-Christians and it depends on the character of those people. A new believer Became a believer through some means. Your New desire would be to get to know other Christians. If you Were with those with habits you shouldn't be continuing, chances are they might question Your change -- a good witnessing opportunity. Or they might distance themselves from you.

            A new believer Might find him/her self alone for a while in the process of developing new activities / friends.

            As 'Dutch' commented -- believers need to be willing to build relationships with non-believers -- how else will they hear the Gospel. Believers Should be able to show non-believers what good, wholesome fun consists of.
            That sounds good, but hasn't worked in my experience. They're not interested in good, wholesome fun or what they're doing for fun, in their minds, is acceptable.

            I tried to make aquiantences with an family who had a daughter who is an atheist. Eventulay I found myself watching the same drity TV shows they did and I started cursing without realizing it. The daughter had no interest in Christ, she would just come up with arguments. The family says they are Christians but I'm not too convinced. But to be fair these people are a total mess. The daughter who is in her 30s just gave her baby up for adoption because of an affair, thankfully she changed her mind and didn't abort it at least. Her and the mother are both pill heads. The husband is terminally ill and uses an oxygen mask, every time I ask about him they say he only has weeks to live, yet I seen him walking around in Walmart without the mask on.

            Other times I tried to form a relationship with nonbelievers didn't turn out much better. They invited me over for dinner and offered me some vodka at the door, I stayed there for about ten minutes until they had an argument about a drug deal and missing money.

            Now maybe I got the wrong idea about what it means to hang out with them or maybe these are just my experiences. But it doesn't seem like the right way to go. The best way I can see to spread the Gospel is to be an examples of Christ and plant seeds, give them something to think about.

            Comment>

              #7
              Originally posted by Innerfire89 View Post

              That sounds good, but hasn't worked in my experience. They're not interested in good, wholesome fun or what they're doing for fun, in their minds, is acceptable.

              I tried to make aquiantences with an family who had a daughter who is an atheist. Eventulay I found myself watching the same drity TV shows they did and I started cursing without realizing it. The daughter had no interest in Christ, she would just come up with arguments. The family says they are Christians but I'm not too convinced. But to be fair these people are a total mess. The daughter who is in her 30s just gave her baby up for adoption because of an affair, thankfully she changed her mind and didn't abort it at least. Her and the mother are both pill heads. The husband is terminally ill and uses an oxygen mask, every time I ask about him they say he only has weeks to live, yet I seen him walking around in Walmart without the mask on.

              Other times I tried to form a relationship with nonbelievers didn't turn out much better. They invited me over for dinner and offered me some vodka at the door, I stayed there for about ten minutes until they had an argument about a drug deal and missing money.

              Now maybe I got the wrong idea about what it means to hang out with them or maybe these are just my experiences. But it doesn't seem like the right way to go. The best way I can see to spread the Gospel is to be an examples of Christ and plant seeds, give them something to think about.


              I live in 'small town' south Texas. Apparently I've lived a very sheltered life -- haven't run into any people dealing with drugs or missing money. Maybe I should modify that -- we live right off I-35 -- so we're on the border line of a mess. Just don't see it on a personal basis.

              Well --we Do live in sinful world -- you're seeing evidence of it.


              There's a family I'd gotten to know at church some years ago. I asked how they had gotten together -- she glanced at her husband and he nodded 'okay'. Turns out that years Before, she'd been on drugs and he'd been her supplier. I'm thinking that he'd gotten saved -- fallen in love with her and helped her get off the drugs and then they got married. At that point they were both believers. He'd gotten a very good respectable job as a general construction contractor and she was in the church orchestra and they home schooled their kids.

              Just saying -- there's Always 'hope' until we're dead.

              We Can pray for contacts with unsaved people -- invite them to Your home and demonstrate / live the Godly life in front of them.

              You said the daughter was an atheist -- shouldn't surprise you at her lack of interest in God -- that's what atheists Are -- no interest in God. Coming up with arguments is what they do. Do you present intelligent counter-arguments? Sometimes it's possible other times not. Maybe if you're willing to listen and not tune her out. There are Lots of young women who get pg from affairs and have their kids.

              And we pray for wisdom.
              Comment>

                #8
                Originally posted by Innerfire89 View Post
                Do you think we should be making friend with and hanging out with nonbelievers to try and bring them the Gospel? I hear this a lot lately and wonder if it's the correct way to evangelize, and if so, how I do we go about doing so?
                I think there is a degree in which we must establish a rapport with people to communicate the gospel. Like you, sometimes I find myself without a common foundation to stand on with others. What is most important to me is faced with opposition by non-believers making us unevenly yoked in our commission. However, Jesus was a friend of sinners, they felt comfortable around Him and came to Him. In this way I fall short in life, thank goodness, loving my neighbor perfectly is fulfilled by Christ.

                Wasn't it Einstein that said insanity is repeating the same process expecting different results? I mean if you "confront" someone with the gospel and they high tail away then I'd look at a different approach. When I introduce someone to the gospel I am very observant to vocal tones and body language etc. I'm looking for uncomfortable moments etc as cues which indicate when to ease off a bit or just change the subject. The skill in communicating the gospel as Christ did is to be able to articulate the gospel at an individual's level of understanding. Christ used trades people were familiar with in communicating parables etc. He spoke in ways in which they were familiar. He did not use heavy "theological" terminology, but explained things to each like a child. In other words, He didn't talk past someone.

                I experience what you're experiencing, Innerfire, that is, being exposed to secularism for too long seemingly has a negative impact on my thoughts and speech. Don't lose yourself when reaching out, brother. But remember, whoever loses his life for Christ's sake shall find it (Matthew 16:25) when promoting His cause. Needlessly said though, I do not work and haven't many unbelievers in my life. I have the luxury of choosing my friends at the moment rather than falling into friendships or being forced into relationships through an occupation.

                God bless,
                William
                Comment>

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Sue D. View Post



                  I live in 'small town' south Texas. Apparently I've lived a very sheltered life -- haven't run into any people dealing with drugs or missing money. Maybe I should modify that -- we live right off I-35 -- so we're on the border line of a mess. Just don't see it on a personal basis.

                  Well --we Do live in sinful world -- you're seeing evidence of it.


                  There's a family I'd gotten to know at church some years ago. I asked how they had gotten together -- she glanced at her husband and he nodded 'okay'. Turns out that years Before, she'd been on drugs and he'd been her supplier. I'm thinking that he'd gotten saved -- fallen in love with her and helped her get off the drugs and then they got married. At that point they were both believers. He'd gotten a very good respectable job as a general construction contractor and she was in the church orchestra and they home schooled their kids.

                  Just saying -- there's Always 'hope' until we're dead.

                  We Can pray for contacts with unsaved people -- invite them to Your home and demonstrate / live the Godly life in front of them.

                  You said the daughter was an atheist -- shouldn't surprise you at her lack of interest in God -- that's what atheists Are -- no interest in God. Coming up with arguments is what they do. Do you present intelligent counter-arguments? Sometimes it's possible other times not. Maybe if you're willing to listen and not tune her out. There are Lots of young women who get pg from affairs and have their kids.

                  And we pray for wisdom.
                  Ok, but is that how the story really went? Now we're moving into the topic of marriage to nonbelievers.

                  The word atheist is derived from Latin. A means without and theo means God. They are without-God-ist. A nonbeliver is a nonbeliver though.
                  With some people, like the atheist I mentioned, they rather believe something that's abusrd rather than have faith in God.

                  My point in telling about how those behaved in my experience was that they're not people we're supposed to be hanging out with.
                  Comment>

                    #10
                    Innerfire89 Jesus started a conversation with the woman at the well about water before revealing himself to her.He started a conversation with her about "temporal matters" before delving into the "spiritual topics". My point I guess was we need to meet people where they are at before we just start preaching to them. In a sense we need to earn the "right "to proclaim the good news to them.The early congregation were always proclaiming Christ in "bull sessions" They developed a relationship with people which opened the door to discuss the Lord and the Scriptures with them.
                    Comment>

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                      Innerfire89 Jesus started a conversation with the woman at the well about water before revealing himself to her.He started a conversation with her about "temporal matters" before delving into the "spiritual topics". My point I guess was we need to meet people where they are at before we just start preaching to them. In a sense we need to earn the "right "to proclaim the good news to them.The early congregation were always proclaiming Christ in "bull sessions" They developed a relationship with people which opened the door to discuss the Lord and the Scriptures with them.
                      Yes, we should be personal and sincere. We should be good listeners. But of course there's a limit to how close we get to them, we don't need to be confidants.

                      Comment>

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Innerfire89 View Post

                        Yes, we should be personal and sincere. We should be good listeners. But of course there's a limit to how close we get to them, we don't need to be confidants.
                        • Matthew 7:6 “Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.
                        Of course there are those that we can't find a common foundation on which to agree none-the-less discuss the sacred. I'm sure you know the type, they twist everything into the profane. With such people I'd distance myself.

                        God bless,
                        William
                        Comment>

                          #13
                          Right ,there are some who are actually so opposed to the gospel that it does more harm to proclaim it to them than good.
                          Comment>

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Innerfire89 View Post

                            Yes, we should be personal and sincere. We should be good listeners. But of course there's a limit to how close we get to them, we don't need to be confidants.


                            That depends -- when it's a man talking with a woman - there would be a limit as to how close we get. But with men with another man or a woman with another woman, being a confidant might be just what's needed. Being a good listener will potentially bring on the 'confidant' relationship.
                            It has occurred to me that this is such a surface relationship based society that , at least Some of us, are looking for more indepthedness in relationships. Maybe if we were more willing to take time to really listen to others, there wouldn't be as much need for counselor or therapists.

                            And some of that is because we're a very mobile society. Stuff happens and we need to move -- jobs, relationship going wrong, college, whatever.

                            Hanging out with non-believers Can be a downfall. Sometimes non-believers can be good friends -- they are Trying to be good people to us.
                            Comment>
                            Working...
                            X
                            Articles - News - SiteMap