A forum to discuss the world of missions and evangelism. We believe that every individual and every church should be deeply committed both to local evangelism and to global missions.

Too shy to share the gospel

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too shy to share the gospel

In our church youth group, Evangelism is the Most unpopular Department. When Most young people are asked why they Don't join the Department, they claim to be too shy. As a matter of fact Most of them have trouble confessing their faith in public.
    Have you ever felt shy of confessing that Jesus is your Lord ănd Savior?

I don't know what you mean by "shy of confessing", but Matthew 6:5 is something to be remembered when praying in public.

Teenagers are often painfully self-conscious under the bravado. Being too afraid to preach publicly is just another part of being scared to stand out. Could you ask them to assist more experienced preachers, handing out flyers, acting as gophers etc. to get them into it more slowly. If they cannot confesses it with words, then they should bear testament with their lives. To live as Christians should in a way that draws people to the church, as examples of courage, honesty, and Christian values, can be the most effective witness of all.
    Comment>

Get the same "too shy to share the gospel" people in front of Facebook, and they'll never stop rambling about silly things.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
        Get the same "too shy to share the gospel" people in front of Facebook, and they'll never stop rambling about silly things.

God bless,
        William
        That's the problem, isn't it. All their friends are sharing silly, normally feel-good things, and not sharing things from the Bible. They don't want to be the one sharing it and standing out, especially with the culture of online bullying. Teenagers are already often terrified to be different, and sharing something important to them can be a licence for online 'haters' to start targeting a person. You might have noticed how compassion and genuinely caring about things is sadly not a trend on many sites. Online groups like this board or local groups can help them develop the courage of their convictions and let them know they have support if they speak out.

Comment>

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
          That's the problem, isn't it. All their friends are sharing silly, normally feel-good things, and not sharing things from the Bible. They don't want to be the one sharing it and standing out, especially with the culture of online bullying. Teenagers are already often terrified to be different, and sharing something important to them can be a licence for online 'haters' to start targeting a person. You might have noticed how compassion and genuinely caring about things is sadly not a trend on many sites. Online groups like this board or local groups can help them develop the courage of their convictions and let them know they have support if they speak out.

In my time dealing with teenagers in faith, one of the hardest thing for them is to come out of their social groups. They dread the mockery that comes with been different.
          In some situations like schools, being a good person will even have you physically abused. So to some extent I understand them, however I like to encourage them that the journey of salvation is not for the weak- for many are the battles.
          Jesus Himself suffered a lot and as His co heirs we must walk in His footsteps.
          The great news is, He will always be there to fight our battles and the even greater news, we will be crowned with eternal life of joy and celebrations when we hold on.
          Comment>

You should never refrain yourself from doing something that defines, in this case your faith to Jesus our Lord and Savior. My belief in life is if something doesn't affect others in a negative way nor offend them then i will not let them pressure me into not doing something that is the core of my belief.
            Comment>

I would never feel ashamed of confession while it is a part of our belief. We should never deny the things that we have in our mind. It is a sign of a positive religious man that he never denies to the things that he has done and never lies about his beliefs.
              Comment>

When I was a teenager -- and that's been a few decades back -- in order to join the church I was in -- the person had to meet with the Board of Deacons and then be presented to the church body for membership. The person was required to tell briefly of their salvation experience and have a verse ready to share with everyone. Back then, church member ship was an important step and people - older teens / adults were questioned about their salvation. There was no easy-believism.

The point being -- as a believer - a person Needs to be willing to share with others what Christ has done for them. People of like belief will be happy to hear of your salvation. They should be welcoming a person into the fellowship of the church. And it helps a Lot to have someone come along side the person and encourage them -- a S.S. class teacher or youth leader helping them integrate into a small group. Shyness Is a problem with lots of teens. It sure was for me.

There was a young lady in a church we went to -- she was the girlfriend of the deacons' son and she 'got saved' but when it came time to join -- and share her testimony like every one else - she refused to. She would Not get up in front of the tiny church group. She was encouraged to share with her Christian friends at church. She simply wouldn't. And as a result, she didn't join the church.

Shyness in sharing Christ -- lots of people aren't interested in hearing about Him.
                Comment>

There is nothing to feel ashamed about it as it is ap rt of our belief. We should tell the truth so if someone lies then it must be against its dignity. For being a religious or spiritual person it is important to be a truthful person.
                  Comment>

You should never feel ashamed of such things since it's something that a lot of people do, but i have to agree from the point of view of an anxious person, sometimes i find it difficult as well.
                    Comment>

I think its really Peer Pressure but they may come around to seeing that they are hanging out with bad company sometimes-and the Bible does tell us after all, that "bad company can corrupt good character". The kids could spread the word of God in other ways though- including organizing parties and spreading the word to their friends,and so this is a more private way of getting the word of the Bible out there. Another example is that the kids could raise money for charity somehow like washing cars and spread the word of God this way also. It may make it easier to function for them,doing it these ways.
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap