A forum to discuss the world of missions and evangelism. We believe that every individual and every church should be deeply committed both to local evangelism and to global missions.

Changing the name of the Bible

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the name of the Bible

Now I am not trying to be sacrilegious here, but just wonder aloud about how a name change of the Good Book might go toward helping explain to the world why many Christians feel we must hold the rest of the world to the same standards we are. Using Sodom and Gomorrah as an example to explain that God requires pious living of everyone, not just Christians. We just have been given the greatest reason to.

Would it be better to rename it "God's Rules for the World", or something similar?

Technically, the word "Bible" is not found in Scripture.
    Comment>

I'm sure you were be hypothetical when you mentioned "God's Rules for the World". But I get what your trying to say. I'd just stick to the "Word" if it were to be changed.
      Comment>

Hi,
        Would you better understand why a Muslim might use their standards to judge you according to Islam if the Koran was renamed to "God's Rules for the World"?
        I don't think that re-naming the Bible would help as that isn't the issue.
        I think the issue is that people may not believe what you believe so why should they think they have to be held to the same standard as a Christian?

Comment>

Originally posted by FruitNNut View Post
          Hi,
          Would you better understand why a Muslim might use their standards to judge you according to Islam if the Koran was renamed to "God's Rules for the World"?
          I don't think that re-naming the Bible would help as that isn't the issue.
          I think the issue is that people may not believe what you believe so why should they think they have to be held to the same standard as a Christian?
          But that is the point. The popular misconception about the bible is that is only rules for Christians to follow. This is completely false. As I highlighted with the situation of Sodom and Gomorrah, very few, if any, of the people living in those two towns would have recognized God as their Lord, however, God still owns everything, including every human that has ever lived, or will live, and His laws apply to everyone equally.
          Comment>

My point is though, some people do not believe in God or a God that a Christian book explains.
            Why would they pay attention to the words in a book that doesn't fit in with their beliefs? Much like, why aren't you reading and following the Koran?
            Comment>

My point is though, some people do not believe in God or a God that a Christian book explains.
              Why would they pay attention to the words in a book that doesn't fit in with their beliefs? Much like, why aren't you reading and following the Koran?
              But, relabeling the bible would make it clear that it is not just a rule book for Christians. It is something everyone should read and endeavor to understand. The big difference, besides content, between the bible and the koran is that the bible is inspired by God and penned by a group of individuals, where the koran was not inspired by God and was written by one man.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
                But, relabeling the bible would make it clear that it is not just a rule book for Christians. It is something everyone should read and endeavor to understand. The big difference, besides content, between the bible and the koran is that the bible is inspired by God and penned by a group of individuals, where the koran was not inspired by God and was written by one man.
                It is your belief that it was inspired by God.
                It is also Islams belief that Christians text are not close enough to Gods words (or inspired as much), and that the Koran is God's words.
                Do you see what I mean?

Sorry, I think I'm not very good at getting my thoughts through sometimes :)
                Comment>

But, relabeling the bible would make it clear that it is not just a rule book for Christians.
                  It would do nothing of the kind. The reason so any people reject the Bible is that they have been blinded to the truth by Satan. Only the Holy Spirit can enable them to believe the Bible.
                  Clyde Herrin's Blog
                  Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                    It would do nothing of the kind. The reason so any people reject the Bible is that they have been blinded to the truth by Satan. Only the Holy Spirit can enable them to believe the Bible.

A bit extreme there :P
                    Maybe Satan hasn't blinded them, but they just don't think the same way about things as yourself?
                    I'm not saying that the Bible is the right or wrong way, just different people believe different things so expecting them to get on board because of your beliefs doesn't change theirs :)
                    Comment>

It is your belief that it was inspired by God.
                      It is also Islams belief that Christians text are not close enough to Gods words (or inspired as much), and that the Koran is God's words.
                      Do you see what I mean?

Sorry, I think I'm not very good at getting my thoughts through sometimes :)
                      It is not just my belief. It is fact.

The problem with the Koran is that it was written, not under inspiration, by a con-man. Probably the most successful con in the history of the world, outside of that little comment Kaiser Soze made in The Usual Suspects.
                      Comment>

It is not just my belief. It is fact.

The problem with the Koran is that it was written, not under inspiration, by a con-man. Probably the most successful con in the history of the world, outside of that little comment Kaiser Soze made in The Usual Suspects.

It is great that your faith is so strong, it is something I don't have and find I question most things. Either through my bad explaining or your solid stance, this is going nowhere :)
                        Thank you for the things you have given me to think over though, I hope we get a chance to reach maybe a mutual understanding in another thread or topic :)
                        Thanks
                        Comment>

It is great that your faith is so strong, it is something I don't have and find I question most things. Either through my bad explaining or your solid stance, this is going nowhere :)
                          Thank you for the things you have given me to think over though, I hope we get a chance to reach maybe a mutual understanding in another thread or topic :)
                          Thanks
                          Everyone has faith. It is just that some faith is misplaced. For example, when you sat in your chair in front of the computer, did you test it? No, you have faith based on your past experience in the chair which led you to believe that it'll sustain your weight. Faith in God can be defined as an "action based on belief sustained by confidence in God". It is far from blind faith most unbelievers define it as. Believers have confidence in the Lord through trust in His word. The object is not themselves, but the object of faith is external and objective, the object of faith is God rather than the simple example made of a chair.

God bless,
                          William
                          Comment>

Great analogy with the chair, I really like it :)
                            I'm a 100% beliver in God, I just don't know where I 'fit'.

So things going well for you or working out in the end sustains your faith and belief in God.
                            But why is it you think God made things work out OK and not something else?
                            Does it not become a little circular: things work out -> thanks to god -> believes god will help -> thing work out......

I'm not questioning your faith, just trying to reason with mine :)
                            Comment>

Great analogy with the chair, I really like it :)
                              I'm a 100% beliver in God, I just don't know where I 'fit'.

So things going well for you or working out in the end sustains your faith and belief in God.
                              But why is it you think God made things work out OK and not something else?
                              Does it not become a little circular: things work out -> thanks to god -> believes god will help -> thing work out......

I'm not questioning your faith, just trying to reason with mine :)
                              I think that our finite minds cannot perceive or comprehend the infinite wisdom of God. In Genesis 50:20 for example - "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today".

We may pray for wealth, and the next day someone may come and steal all we have. We may at that point turn to God and say why God while in disbelief? Not knowing that God in the end will work all things for His elect's sake, in His infinite wisdom, God may be giving us a heart of gold rather than financial gain. My point being, I don't even know what is best for myself, I think I do, but God may have something different in mind altogether. Just like when Joseph's brothers sold him to slavery, God meant it for good, despite those meaning it for evil, and needlessly said, I'm Joseph wouldn't have agreed that being sold into slavery was best for him!

We are not infinite in knowledge or wisdom, but in the end we will know. Whether God demonstrates wrath or mercy, justice or grace, one thing we may be certain of, the Saints shall praise Him!

Hope this helps,
                              God bless,
                              William
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap