A forum to discuss the world of missions and evangelism. We believe that every individual and every church should be deeply committed both to local evangelism and to global missions.

How do you spread the Gospel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you spread the Gospel?

I'm looking for some advice hear, since I have trouble with this. A lot of the people I speak to about it just brush me off, or say something dismissive like "I go to church every few weeks". I'm trying here, but something its pretty difficult. :|

Most of the people to whom you speak about the gospel will reject it. Still, you might examine the way you present it and make sure you aren't doing so in a way that is unnecessarily offensive. Also you should spend time praying and studying the Bible so that when you share the gospel you are acting under the guidance and with the power of the Holy Spirit, It is the Spirit who actually draws people to faith in Christ.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Hi,
      Maybe it would be better to not try and actively spread the Gospel but to call on it at suitable times.
      Always be a great and helpful person, that I'm sure you are.
      But if someone comes to you for advice or is maybe not in a good place, try and drop the odd suitable line from the Bible or teachings.
      If they ask where it came from, then share, kind of like passive water that'll always find it's way as it gets a chance to trickle and flow.

Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
        Most of the people to whom you speak about the gospel will reject it. Still, you might examine the way you present it and make sure you aren't doing so in a way that is unnecessarily offensive. Also you should spend time praying and studying the Bible so that when you share the gospel you are acting under the guidance and with the power of the Holy Spirit, It is the Spirit who actually draws people to faith in Christ.
        Do you have any suggestions on what parts of the bible I should be studying for this?
        Comment>

There is a Christian sect whose members pester our village every month. The would knock on the door to take your time in spreading the good news. They do that not really for the purpose of spreading the gospel but because they are required by their religion to spend a number of hours in their house-to-house campaign. But my question is this - how many converts have they recruited? The answer is none. Maybe because their approach is not palatable to their prospects and their style is not relevant anymore. What if they use the social media? I think that would be a more potent way of spreading the gospel than on knocking on doors.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Corzhens View Post
            There is a Christian sect whose members pester our village every month. The would knock on the door to take your time in spreading the good news. They do that not really for the purpose of spreading the gospel but because they are required by their religion to spend a number of hours in their house-to-house campaign. But my question is this - how many converts have they recruited? The answer is none. Maybe because their approach is not palatable to their prospects and their style is not relevant anymore. What if they use the social media? I think that would be a more potent way of spreading the gospel than on knocking on doors.

A great example of being too pushy and putting people off.
            We have the same thing with LDS members here.
            Anytime people see them walking down the same side of the street they'll cross over to avoid them.

They're polite, well spoken and I'm sure nice people but they just don't let up on their pushing
            Comment>

Originally posted by champ2345 View Post
              Do you have any suggestions on what parts of the bible I should be studying for this?
              All of the Bible is inspired by God so you need to study all of it. I don't know how much you know already but if you are new at studying the Bible it might be best to study the New Testament first. Here are two sites that might prove helpful in your studies:

Back to the Bible

carm |
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                All of the Bible is inspired by God so you need to study all of it. I don't know how much you know already but if you are new at studying the Bible it might be best to study the New Testament first. Here are two sites that might prove helpful in your studies:

Back to the Bible

carm |
                Well, I was looking for a specific chapter or some verses, but thanks anyways.
                Comment>

Truth and clarity regarding the life and work of Jesus Christ are critical. Preach Christ Crucified. Scripture's most sustained emphasis on the cross defines the atonement as a penal substitution—Jesus stood in the place of His people and received the wrath of God, securing for them eternal life and the forgiveness of sins.

May I suggest that at this time you yourself study Scripture so that you may:

1 Peter 3:15 - but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

Perhaps at this time you are being prompted by the Holy Spirit to not evangelize but to study the word of God so that you're better equipped to fulfill the great commission Matthew 28:16-20. I would think that you may stumble if you merely parrot the Scriptures but can not give the meaning of such. This is not to say that you should not speak about or casually discuss Scriptural topics. The best way for you to learn to evangelize is to engage in subject and topics with fellow believers, learn to articulate your thoughts which will come from having knowledge about the subject matter.

We have a great Apologetic and Theology category here in the forum. Lots of rich information. Hope this helps.

God bless,
                  William
                  Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
                    Truth and clarity regarding the life and work of Jesus Christ are critical. Preach Christ Crucified. Scripture's most sustained emphasis on the cross defines the atonement as a penal substitution—Jesus stood in the place of His people and received the wrath of God, securing for them eternal life and the forgiveness of sins.

May I suggest that at this time you yourself study Scripture so that you may:

1 Peter 3:15 - but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

Perhaps at this time you are being prompted by the Holy Spirit to not evangelize but to study the word of God so that you're better equipped to fulfill the great commission Matthew 28:16-20. I would think that you may stumble if you merely parrot the Scriptures but can not give the meaning of such. This is not to say that you should not speak about or casually discuss Scriptural topics. The best way for you to learn to evangelize is to engage in subject and topics with fellow believers, learn to articulate your thoughts which will come from having knowledge about the subject matter.

We have a great Apologetic and Theology category here in the forum. Lots of rich information. Hope this helps.

God bless,
                    William
                    Thanks for words of wisdom.
                    Comment>

If you want to preach the gospel focus on the good news: sinful man can now go to heaven and live forever with God because of Jesus sacrifice. That's all I'd preach if I was spreading the gospel. I've heard people say that every Christian should preach the gospel. But that isn't entirely true and James even cautions against it: "Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly."
                      Comment>

Originally posted by Smithee View Post
                        I've heard people say that every Christian should preach the gospel. But that isn't entirely true and James even cautions against it: "Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly."
                        Preaching the gospel and being a teacher are not the same thing. A teacher's work involved more than showing other how to be saved. He must also teach them how they are to live after salvation.
                        Clyde Herrin's Blog
                        Comment>

Originally posted by champ2345 View Post
                          I'm looking for some advice hear, since I have trouble with this. A lot of the people I speak to about it just brush me off, or say something dismissive like "I go to church every few weeks". I'm trying here, but something its pretty difficult. :|
                          Trying to be kind, and understanding, and not judgemental. So that God might shine through someone, that's how you get converts, by showing god's love. Not by lecturing someone, or by throwing many scriptural verses at them, or telling them, "Come with us, or go to hell!". Just, show God's love. Of course, make it known of the teachings of the bible aswell, 1 Corinthians 13

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned,[a] but have not love, it profits me nothing.

4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
                          Comment>
                          Working...
                          X
                          Articles - News - SiteMap