A Christian disciple is a person who accepts and assists in the spreading of the good news of Jesus Christ.

Maturing through Meditation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maturing through Meditation

"When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches,
    For You have been my help, And in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy," (Psalm 63:6,7).

There is just something about the nighttime... those hours from dusk to dawn when our thoughts go places we little imagined nor planned to travel. It is the time when much spiritual warfare transpires, when our enemy seeks to assail our senses and accuse our conscience. His minions of fear stalk the mind, trying to convince us that our God no longer loves, cares, or is near us. Too, darkness seems to increase the future's bleakness, lending itself to fretting and anxious speculation.

David was susceptible to these nocturnal tendencies every bit as much as we are... yet he maintained a joy-filled heart, resting rather than fretful. How so?
    First, he developed the habit of musing upon God's Person, regardless. Daylight or dark, he had early on set his heart to look heavenward. This is made the more significant in the light of all that could have easily distracted him: the responsibilities related to ruling an entire nation; constant and continual threats of enemies wanting to attack from without, as well as those trying from within to de-throne him; his own family, particularly his children, in a near-constant state of conflict and discord. Yet, amid it all, his eye of adoration was fixed upon the greatest Love of his life.

Now he turns from the Person of God to the Provision He faithfully supplies. "You have been my help." In so very many ways, David had received God's help. Samuel's anointing was his first inkling that the God of Israel would be his life-long help, showing such grace in selecting him above his brothers. And, of course, the encounter with Goliath that catapulted David to national attention was an unmistakable evidence of God's help, as He used David's conviction and skill to show Himself strong on Israel's behalf. Each step along David's road of remembrance, he knew the enabling presence and provision of the living God.

Finally, he breaks out in joyful song as he thinks upon the Protection God has been to him. During his shepherding days he had had life-threatening encounters with vicious animals (I Samuel 17:37), experiencing the LORD's deliverance. Then there were the close calls of King Saul's vengeful attacks (I Samuel 18:11; 19:10) as he sought David's death. Then, perhaps the unkindest cut of all, there was the traitorous plot of his own son, Absalom, to take his throne (II Samuel 15:1--6). These reflections (and many more, no doubt) served to deepen his gratitude and strengthen his resolve to love and serve his praiseworthy LORD.

Are we making such meditation a serious priority? Are we "taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ (as II Corinthians 10:5 exhorts)? Are we maturing in discernment as to Satan's tactics and strategies, in order to recognize and combat them, especially in the night (I Corinthians 2:11)? May God grant empowering grace to remember Him, reflect upon Him, and rejoice in Him, whether by day or by night.

Taking God Seriously

Dr. Mac, you and I are definitely on the same page with this one. And I consider it not coincidence that I should find and read this post tonight after my wife went through repeated horrible nightmares that kept waking her up, thus waking me up last night. I have been oppressed by demons for I don't know how long, but my first encounter was at night when I was a wee lad. I have been plagued in my sleep and energy by day ever since. It is possible that the demons are trying to get at me through her. Further, I do most of my meditation on the Lord at night in bed, while falling asleep. Also if I take an afternoon nap. There is a great deal of reflection in His word that comes to me and that in itself has helped me to mature. I am not saying I am mature or to what degree, as only God really knows, but the maturing process is definitely helped by meditation. I often use meditation out loud to ward off demonic influences as well. Although their activity happens day or night, the time of greatest fear is at night when we are at our most vulnerable to their tactics. I also look to Psalms as a major source of strength in my faith, as well as knowing God chose me by grace through faith from Him as a gift. Psalm 65:3-4 is a great and powerful pair of verses telling me He is in control, and I am with Him because of His will and grace.
    Comment>

Meditations is perfect way to get to know yourself or to have inner peace.

I think that daily meditation, even if it is just a few minutes can really help with your mental health and all those things you want to discuss with yourself or God. Mediatation and Bible study is a really relaxing way to unwind after a long day.
      Comment>

I've achieved a lot of transformation in most of my life. I engage in meditation, as defined in modern society, to clear my mind and allow it to process the day (or what will happen in the day). I also engage in spiritual meditation which involves just listening to God before I speak to Him We can get caught up in what we want to say God, not in what He has to say to us.
        Comment>

I think meditation as referenced in the bible is confused with the eastern meditation which is being touted by everyone as being good for almost everything. The latter is quite dangerous as it can lead to possession or demonic attacks.
          Comment>

Originally posted by ctfrankl40 View Post
            I've achieved a lot of transformation in most of my life. I engage in meditation, as defined in modern society, to clear my mind and allow it to process the day (or what will happen in the day). I also engage in spiritual meditation which involves just listening to God before I speak to Him We can get caught up in what we want to say God, not in what He has to say to us.
            Hi CTFrankl40, first off, WELCOME TO CF :)

Question, please tell us what you mean when you say that you "listen" to God. IOW, how do you go about doing that during your times of "spiritual meditation"?

Also, Smithee is quite right, there are the eastern forms of mediation which involve the emptying one's mind. Christian "meditation" is something altogether different than that however. In fact, the practice of Christian meditation could almost be considered the polar opposite of the practice of eastern meditation (the latter being a practice that Christians should 'never' engage in).

Thanks!

Yours and HIs,
            David
            Last edited by David Lee; 07-01-2016, 12:34 PM.
            Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
            Comment>

To me, meditation to God, is speaking to him,and God talks back to us, inside are minds and our spirits as well. I think by doing this,we can find so much joy,and you have this great freedom to love back. You have to get still and meditate to hear God's voice and sometimes we get so busy about things, we cannot hear his voice? Try to keep a empty mind though, when you meditate and then you will feel closer to God,and thats when you can seek him out. Try to think of sunsets or flowers or something in nature when you meditate.
              Last edited by FolkArtist; 04-19-2017, 09:44 PM.
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap