The Christian life is a personal intimate relationship between you and Christ. This life begins in faith (Ephesians 2:8-9) and can only be lived by faith.

Dragnet - The Big High (did Prime Time TV consider the use of the Bible normal in the not too distant past?)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragnet - The Big High (did Prime Time TV consider the use of the Bible normal in the not too distant past?)

Dragnet - The Big High (1967 TV Broadcast)

- Watch Dragnet Season 2 Episode 8 Free Online - The Big High | Yahoo View

This is a taste of what TV was like when I was an 11 yr old. Unfortunately, this is the only way to see the episode w/o paying for it.

The Bible verse "exchange" I'm referring to is 14+ minutes into the 25 minute episode, so if you want to get to it w/o needing to watch the episode up to that point, wait for the opening ad to end, then use the scroll bar at the bottom and move it over to 14 minutes in. The very short exchange involving both Ephesians 5 & 6 is between the wife/mother who is promoting marijuana use, and Joe Friday, the cop. If you watch earlier, you'll see that her father told the police about her and her husband's marijuana use because he was worried about them and their baby (and as we find out at the movie's end, for a very good reason).

It is amazing to think that this kind of exchange is what people considered normal in 1967

I also noticed that Joe Friday simply used/recited Ephesians 5:15 as is, while the wife/mom added to/embellished her verse from Ephesians 6 to make it say what she wanted/needed it to say.

I'm stunned to think that we watched stuff like this and no one, save perhaps Madalyn Murray O'Hair, gave it a second thought. This was just the way things were, what was normal and acceptable back then.

I also love the fact that not only the policeman, but the marijuana smoking mom had their Bible verses memorized, and that again, no one thought that such a thing was weird or out of place such a short time ago, even in Prime Time by our 'secular' society (granted, the mom used her verse incorrectly, but she still had it memorized).

We've come a long way in a very short time. The prince of this world certainly knows his business, doesn't he!

Enjoy

--David
    p.s. - this is the darkest Dragnet episode ever, because of the horrifically sad way that it ends.

Last edited by David Lee; 10-02-2017, 05:39 PM.
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"Instead of a river, God often gives us a brook, which may be running today and dried up tomorrow. Why? To teach us not to rest in our blessings, but in the Blesser Himself." ~A. W. Pink

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon

Things have certainly changed. I went to high school in the late 1950's. I remember something that happened in a science class. Someone asked the question, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg," and the teaches said the chicken came first because it was among the things God created. I wonder what would happen if a public school teacher said something like that today.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
      Things have certainly changed. I went to high school in the late 1950's. I remember something that happened in a science class. Someone asked the question, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg," and the teaches said the chicken came first because it was among the things God created. I wonder what would happen if a public school teacher said something like that today.
      Today, no doubt given the very poor reasoning skills of teachers, it would run something like this. They would claim we are all racist because the egg was mostly likely white and that could only point to while male privilege. It could mean nothing else.
      Last edited by Origen; 10-02-2017, 04:30 PM.
      Comment>

The 80s with all the gay stuff and Satanism ruined TV.
        T. V. and cinema ran wild with sexual innuendos and outright sexualy immorality, there was a made for T. V. movie in the 80s about a boxer who practiced incest with his mother, even some cartoons contained drug use and satanic rituals.
        The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse has an episode where Mighty Mouse snorts coke, and it just so happened that the animater used to draw comics for Playboy and made an adult cartoon about a pot somking cat having sex with women.

Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap