The Christian life is a personal intimate relationship between you and Christ. This life begins in faith (Ephesians 2:8-9) and can only be lived by faith.

Answers to prayer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Answers to prayer.

    How has God answered your prayers for guidance? When you ask for direction on an issue has the answer always come in the form of a still small voice or do you believe that God has answered prayer and given direction in your life by way of other people (who have no idea that you prayed for direction on anything at all, let alone what about) telling you something that works as a direction and answer to that prayer. For instance if you pray for something to happen in your life and then seemingly out of the blue, someone comes to you and says "Be patient." Then you live in patience for a few weeks praying for continued patience and then this starts to fade through spiritual attacks from satan and you start to get impatient and pray for more direction and then it seems the same thing happens. Someone out of the blue comes to you and says "be patient" or "Wait for Gods timing?" Do you think this could be God speaking through someone that has the gift of discernment to Do you think the same thing can happen with posts on facebook? You pray for direction and then within minutes you see something on your news feed from a christian page that is basically the same thing, seems to be an exact answer to the guidance that you prayed for. And these aren't the type of posts that I see on my news feed all the time. Typically I see posts from these pages that are biblical but rarely are they of the variety that say to be patient. Pretty much the only time it ever shows those posts in my feed is when I pray for guidance. I also feel that still small voice telling me to be patient and have felt it for a long while. That has been more consistent than anything, but sometimes it is difficult to hear it when the world gets in my ears and I start to doubt my interpretation of what God is saying. So then I get impatient and act, and it doesn't turn out the way I want and then I get the same thing where I get one of those posts on my news feed that I don't really ever see any other time.

  • #2
    The desire is given by God to seek Him. I consider that desire my small voice. And my own desire still speaks softly and guides me to listen to God. God's teaching, and His answers are found in Scripture. As to what that small voice sounds like in case you ask, I think it is official, Knotical claimed "the voice" sounds like Barry White, to which I agree. :D



    Hope you have a sense of humor? ;)

    God bless,
    William
    Comment>

    • #3
      Well, if we are talking about the advise to this particular issue being in scripture then the answer is always going to be "be patient" and "Trust God." That does not seem like a very personal answer to a specific prayer from a Personal God. As with all prayer I believe that there are 3 basic answers, "Yes," "No" and "Not yet." So with this particular issue if the answer is Yes, then I act on that, If the answer is Not yet, then I hold my course but don't act in any serious way. If it is No, then I am wasting my time and resources by doing anything other than stopping what I am doing on that path and getting myself back aligned with Gods will. I know that just because I want something, does not mean that that particular thing is good for me or in Gods will for my life and no amount of patience is going to get it for me because I cannot out wait Gods will. For example I posted in another sub thread in the topic of Christian advice that I am interested in a woman at church but I am having trouble reading her attitudes to figuring out how to interact with her in a consistent and meaningful way. If I pray and god says Be patient, then I will be patient for as long as I need to be. If he says Yes, just bear your heart to her and go for it, then I will go all out. If he says No, then I keep her as a friend, but focus my attention else ware because I know that at the very least this means he has bigger plans for me. Applying the context of my OP, if God is really saying to be patient, my problem is basically an uncertainty on my part in understanding/discerning what the spirit is actually saying about this particular situation.

      I am not talking about new revelation or new teaching from God that would apply as broadly as scripture does, but something that is specific to a particular situation. Guidance in a specific situation for a specific persons actions. Discernment to a personal answer in a personal relationship with God. I'm not looking for something that I can then rinse and repeat for other times and parts of my life or to quote to other people. This is a specific situation and the answer would be personal to me alone. I believe that our individual relationships with God are personal in nature. So if the only possible answers to any kind of prayer for guidance in a specific situation can only come from Scripture then that relationship does not seem very Personal it seems very boxed in and impersonal. Scripted.
      Comment>

      • #4

        Hello Seeker,

        Originally posted by Seeker611 View Post
        Do you think this could be God speaking through someone that has the gift of discernment to Do you think the same thing can happen with posts on facebook?
        Yes, that's why there are offices of Overseer which contain teachers etc.

        Now, I'm not saying you're doing this, but a lot of people look towards a sign to do what they want rather than an actual answer to their questions. Lemme ask you this. Has God answered your questions in Scripture? If the answer to your questions are in Scripture and require you to find it and apply to you and your situation no doubt it is going to take patience. Perhaps praying to know God's will in this situation and the strength and courage to carry out God's will is in order? But you may say you do not know God's will? To respond if this be the case, I suggest turning to Scripture.

        What does Scripture teach about finding a spouse? And what are the reasons for you wanting a help meet? Remaining Single or Marrying? Given the Scriptural advice such as Proverbs 31 and other examples of God fearing women how does your "potential" spouse compare? I take it that since you're Christian you are not interested in dating but rather courting? I see that your answer was not in the conventional sense but more to do with courting. I think you should be firm in your convictions.

        This soul searching, questions I too went through before marrying. I'm not saying my example is the one to follow, but I'm saying that the word of God contains everything we need know on such covenant matters.

        For one, you haven't expressed what your reasoning for wanting to date or court is? And have you knowledge of the marriage covenant? Does your potential understand or is she even open to courting? Does your church offer singles groups and she involved in them? This may be a perfect opportunity for you to either ask your church to start up one or join one in a nearby church. Then maybe you can ask her if she is interested?

        I went to a church single group for awhile. Nobody there was interested in one another or they couldn't break the ice until someone came into the group and led the singles into understanding the purpose of the group and courtship. You may want to inquire on this, as it may not be only beneficial to you but also your brethren?

        As far as Scripture not being personal, I couldn't disagree more. An impersonal God wouldn't even of bothered leaving such loving guidance for us. Reassuring us of not only our Salvation but how to love one another in Covenant relationships.

        Lemme say this to end my personal thoughts on the matter. You're the male, you're the spiritual leader and potential spiritual leader for your household. Keep up your studying while searching the Scriptures diligently. And also use prayer to communicate with God, a lot of the times or at least in my experience, God uses our time while single to bring us closer to Him in a relationship. That is, while we are not distracted by other things such as a spouse. We can use our time productively in service. If you find your faith tested because you think God is not answering you, then perhaps that is reason enough to stay single for awhile and strengthen your faith?

        I look forward to our ongoing correspondence and fellowship.

        God bless,
        William
        Comment>

        • #5
          Live is chock full of variety and surprises. You may be asking something of God that we believe that is extremely urgent and consider that it would be great if our prayers would be answered instantly and we may constantly be praying about it and we may become disappointed when we don't see the desired result. However, think about when you were unexpectedly saved from a very serious situation and you cry out "Thank God," therefore, you can see that God really works in mysterious ways. Sometimes you just have to bear the burden like Jesus did.
          Comment>

          • #6
            I've seen it my life and in the lives of others that God does work in mysterious ways. A relative had a large bill due and had no idea how to pay it. She prayed, asked me to pray, but of course, our first thoughts were praying to find ways to get the money. God delivered, but He had other ideas of how to get the requested result. Instead of extra work, a windfall, or anything like that, He helped with the amount. The amount was lowered, and she had just enough to cover it.

            If I put on my thinking cap, I'm sure I can remember other occasions as well (my memory isn't what it used to be).
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by Seeker611 View Post
              Well, if we are talking about the advise to this particular issue being in scripture then the answer is always going to be "be patient" and "Trust God." That does not seem like a very personal answer to a specific prayer from a Personal God. As with all prayer I believe that there are 3 basic answers, "Yes," "No" and "Not yet." So with this particular issue if the answer is Yes, then I act on that, If the answer is Not yet, then I hold my course but don't act in any serious way. If it is No, then I am wasting my time and resources by doing anything other than stopping what I am doing on that path and getting myself back aligned with Gods will. I know that just because I want something, does not mean that that particular thing is good for me or in Gods will for my life and no amount of patience is going to get it for me because I cannot out wait Gods will. For example I posted in another sub thread in the topic of Christian advice that I am interested in a woman at church but I am having trouble reading her attitudes to figuring out how to interact with her in a consistent and meaningful way. If I pray and god says Be patient, then I will be patient for as long as I need to be. If he says Yes, just bear your heart to her and go for it, then I will go all out. If he says No, then I keep her as a friend, but focus my attention else ware because I know that at the very least this means he has bigger plans for me. Applying the context of my OP, if God is really saying to be patient, my problem is basically an uncertainty on my part in understanding/discerning what the spirit is actually saying about this particular situation.

              I am not talking about new revelation or new teaching from God that would apply as broadly as scripture does, but something that is specific to a particular situation. Guidance in a specific situation for a specific persons actions. Discernment to a personal answer in a personal relationship with God. I'm not looking for something that I can then rinse and repeat for other times and parts of my life or to quote to other people. This is a specific situation and the answer would be personal to me alone. I believe that our individual relationships with God are personal in nature. So if the only possible answers to any kind of prayer for guidance in a specific situation can only come from Scripture then that relationship does not seem very Personal it seems very boxed in and impersonal. Scripted.
              When people say that God gives three answers; yes, no or wait is it because they have actually heard God's voice giving these three answers or is just a person trying to play safe.
              I mean, I have seen a manifestation of God's answer to prayer but the truth is, I have never had God say something to me.
              My sincere question is; how do I know God has said no or wait?
              Comment>

              • #8
                Originally posted by adssolsn View Post

                When people say that God gives three answers; yes, no or wait is it because they have actually heard God's voice giving these three answers or is just a person trying to play safe.
                I mean, I have seen a manifestation of God's answer to prayer but the truth is, I have never had God say something to me.
                My sincere question is; how do I know God has said no or wait?
                Good question. I can only speak for myself. I have never heard God speak aloud. It's more a sense of feeling led in a specific direction for me. Sometimes there are signs.

                We also have to be careful that it isn't just "that little voice inside" that we hear. I think that's specially true if that voice is just saying what we want to hear.
                Comment>

                • #9
                  We all know by know that God does things in his own way as he may see it fit. Remember, he could have at any time immediately freed the Israelites from the oppression that Pharoh had inflicted on them but he chose to do so in his own time. This is a good example of how God operates. Therefore, the best thing to do when you call upon him is to continue to trust and have faith in him.
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap