The Christian life is a personal intimate relationship between you and Christ. This life begins in faith (Ephesians 2:8-9) and can only be lived by faith.

Autopilot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autopilot

Lately I feel as though I have been on autopilot with no end in site. There have been many days where I have forgotten to take the time to pray to God and count my blessings. I feel ashamed about this and have been trying to do better because God has blessed my life in so many ways.

I have a demanding job and family to take care of, and it is no excuse because I should take time to have my moment with God. What do all of you do when you feel this way?

Hi Rosyrain, a quiet time is very important, but if you're struggling to get one in (or to be interested in getting one going again), you might want to make some kind of change in your routine (read something different, listen to something different, think of a new place to have it, like a walk in the woods, or setup a "She Shed" ;)).

Do you workout? Perhaps you could listen to the Bible when you do (you can do so for free here: BibleGateway.com- Audio Bibles .. in different translations and dramatized or not). You can also buy the Bible, NT, OT or both on CD or DVD.

And/or you could listen to a daily broadcast/podcast while you workout (or walk in the woods, etc.). Here are some suggestions for that: Renewing Your Mind with R.C. Sproul | Daily Christian Teaching or Insight for Living - Chuck Swindoll's Bible-teaching via articles, books, videos, streaming, and audio products - Insight for Living Ministries or https://www.gty.org/ or Just Thinking Broadcasts | RZIM (these are the websites of Dr. R C Sproul, Dr. Chuck Swindoll, Dr. John MacArthur, and Dr. Ravi Zacharias respectively). There are free audio and video broadcasts, as well written articles and sermons, and books/CD's/DVD;s for sale, at all of these websites, just FYI.

You might also want to read a little classic called, The Practice of the Presence of God, by Brother Lawrence (which really describes in a nutshell what you need to be doing to turn things around :)). Brother Lawrence offers practical suggestions for experiencing God in everything you do throughout the day, as well in a separate quiet time.

You should also begin to look for God in the little things throughout the day, in his creation, in people, etc., and begin to praise and thank Him for all of it whenever you do (which often requires only a few seconds at a time).

Finally, I think Scripture memorization has helped me quite a bit because it causes me to take a much deeper look at a single verse or short passage than I normally do (the memorized verse or passage becomes, "your own", or personal, I guess you could say, in a way that verses/passages we read, or even study, never do). In the midst of the somewhat boring repetition that is required to memorize Bible verses, you will find (thanks to the HS :)) that you will begin to notice incredible little truths about each of your memory verses/passages that you've never noticed about them before. (if this interests you, just let me know and I'll tell you how to get started .. there are "systems" in place out there that are intended to guide you and help you).

Again, just try some different things. Starting a thread about a Biblical or theological or doctrinal subject that interests you here at CF might spark a more general interest in the faith too.

And are you part of a Bible Study? (as that can help make things interesting as new Biblical truths are discovered, plus it gives you an extended family to know and love and enjoy, and to pray with and pray for).

I hope some of this will be helpful to you, but if not, I'm sure that others here will have some suggestions for you as well.

Praying for you!

Yours in Christ,
    David
    p.s. - when you read the Bible, and/or if you begin to memorize verses out of it, always be sure to turn that time into a dialogue with the Lord. Talk to Him about the verse or passage, ask Him to give you additional insights are you consider what is written, thank Him, praise Him, and ask Him how you can apply what He's teaching you to your life and to the lives of others, to His glory, honor and praise.

*BTW, here is one of my favorite verses to get your started. If you have the time, consider all that it has to say, because it certainly has a LOT to say :) Look at each word, and then each phrase, and whenever the Lord reveals something new about the verse to you, thank/praise Him for it, and imagine ways that you can apply it (you'll be doing that a lot with this verse). Enjoy!

Isaiah 43
    10 “You are My witnesses,” declares the LORD,
    “And My servant whom I have chosen,
    In order that you may know and believe Me
    And understand that I am He.
    Before Me there was no God formed,
    And there will be none after Me.

Last edited by David Lee; 02-27-2017, 10:26 PM.
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

These are great suggestions David Lee ! I especially love the idea of a she she'd and have a garden room that I was planning to build into my own little sanctuary away from the world.

God has blessed my life in more ways that I can count this year and I feel guilty sometimes when I don't stop to think about it. I am going to try changing up the way I do things that I can find some more time to reflect and think about my religion more.

I have become disorganized and this has led me to running around like a chicken with my head cut off. At least I recognize it now and can start doing things to make life run more smoothe.
      Comment>

It can be really hard to set aside time for even the most important of all things when you feel pulled in all directions. I'm sure most of us experience this at some point. It was much harder for me when the kids were little. I'd get so caught up in the everyday things that I didn't make time for the most important.

For me, the best way is to get up at least a few minutes before everyone else does to have some devotions and prayer. Some days, I struggle, since I'm tired. If I don't do it, the day tends to get away from me.

Another thing for me is singing His praises, which I can do while driving or even while washing the dishes. I live out in the country, so driving gives me a panoramic view of His handiwork. It makes me want to sing and thank Him.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap