The Christian life is a personal intimate relationship between you and Christ. This life begins in faith (Ephesians 2:8-9) and can only be lived by faith.

Helping the Poor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helping the Poor

Do you feel that giving to charity is service to God? Jesus cared for the poor, so shouldn't we also?

In being thankful for what we have been given, shouldn't we also pray for those who don't have as much as we do?

I guess it's different for everyone. We are all concerned and convicted about specific things. I just have an ache for those in need, and I don't understand how Christian churches can sometimes ignore those needs. The church I go to (when I go) is fairly generous and giving to the community. The one I used to attend was as well, but not all of them are, and I just don't get that.

Originally posted by thisnthat View Post
    In being thankful for what we have been given, shouldn't we also pray for those who don't have as much as we do?
    The above statement is very telling. It reveals the presupposition that all people should have an equal distribution of all things. That's not the case. God has created people with different abilities, looks, brains, etc. On top of that, He has placed them in different countries and cities, which also is a determining factor in their relative wealth.

The Bible does not promote communism. It promotes capitalism, AND helping the NEEDY.

Jesus left the disciples with , "The Great Commission". This was His final instruction to them. There is no mention of setting up a charity.

We are to always be mindful of the poor, but not in an income redistribution scheme. Rather we are to help those who have burdens which they cannot bear.
    Last edited by thatbrian; 01-11-2017, 11:58 PM.
    Comment>

Different churches, as with different individual people have different callings in Christ. Giving to charity is definitely a service to the Lord, as we are asked to be His hands and feet. There is reason to believe that some recipients of charity are playing the system, but most are not. For most people who turn to Christian charities for help, the need is genuine, very genuine, and many of those same people give thanks to God for the relief they receive.

That being said, churches also support many other sorts of endeavors such as missions and relief for people in other parts of the world who are suffering greatly from wars and famine. If all the charitable generosity of Christianity were to suddenly disappear, the impact would be felt worldwide and it would be disastrous.
      Comment>

Originally posted by thatbrian View Post

The above statement is very telling. It reveals the presupposition that all people should have an equal distribution of all things. That's not the case. God has created people with different abilities, looks, brains, etc. On top of that, He has placed them in different countries and cities, which also is a determining factor in their relative wealth.

The Bible does not promote communism. It promotes capitalism, AND helping the NEEDY.

Jesus left the disciples with , "The Great Commission". This was His final instruction to them. There is no mention of setting up a charity.

We are to always be mindful of the poor, but not in an income redistribution scheme. Rather we are to help those who have burdens which they cannot bear.
        No, not at all. Please don't assign such motives to me. I don't believe in leftist schemes for wealth redistribution. I just think we should pray for people in need and try to help where we can. I also feel that churches should be a community resource for those in need.

I've seen churches build outreach programs through being charitable. People who would have never darkened the doorstep came to church, because they had been helped or welcomed by way of youth activities, holiday meals, sheltering after a storm, etc.

One small example is a family that came to church after receiving the gift of a Thanksgiving basket. A single mom and her little one were so touched that they wanted to come see what it was all about. I think that's great.
        Comment>

Originally posted by thisnthat View Post

No, not at all. Please don't assign such motives to me. I don't believe in leftist schemes for wealth redistribution. I just think we should pray for people in need and try to help where we can. I also feel that churches should be a community resource for those in need.

I've seen churches build outreach programs through being charitable. People who would have never darkened the doorstep came to church, because they had been helped or welcomed by way of youth activities, holiday meals, sheltering after a storm, etc.

One small example is a family that came to church after receiving the gift of a Thanksgiving basket. A single mom and her little one were so touched that they wanted to come see what it was all about. I think that's great.
          Here's the thing. The Church, as an organization, was never given that charge.

Individually, we help the poor, and corporately we help meet the needs of those in the household of faith, which are too great for them to carry on their own.

If you look to those churches/denominations which have most fully suffered from mission creep, and have become strictly social service centers, they have lost the gospel in the process.

What good is it to feed a man's body, but neglect his soul?

The mission of the church was clearly given by Christ. He's the Architect. We are merely builders.
          Last edited by thatbrian; 01-12-2017, 08:21 PM.
          Comment>

Yes, I feel that giving charity is service to god and I also feel that helping poor and needy is also a great service to god. Along with praying for poor people we should also help them by going on a humanitarian trip like this which will help in educating the poor people and creating a social awareness within them.
            Comment>

Originally posted by thatbrian View Post

If you look to those churches/denominations which have most fully suffered from mission creep, and have become strictly social service centers, they have lost the gospel in the process.

What good is it to feed a man's body, but neglect his soul?

The mission of the church was clearly given by Christ. He's the Architect. We are merely builders.
              Well, there is such a thing as a balance. I wasn't really suggesting that it become their only mission though. I've seen churches turn people away who need help, and it just doesn't seem like a "Christian" or Christ-like thing to do.

You make a good point, but what I'm talking about doesn't need to be a one or the other situation. Food and fellowship can open the door to witnessing.

I believe Jesus had a special place in his heart for the poor. To me, that says that if we want to be more like Him, we should too.

Comment>

Thats something you see with mankind and Churches today, that their definition of Christianity is to selfishly protect their own self-interests instead of trying to help others once in awhile. I think people and Churches have traded the teaching of Jesus for a speech about fear these days.
                They should act more like the teachings of Jesus and the Bible and honor the verses below-

Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his maker
                but he who is generous to the needy honors him.(Prov.14:31)

Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are
                destitute. Open your mouth,judge righteously,
                defend the rights of the poor and needy.(Prov 31:8-9)
                Comment>

What qualifies anyone as "poor"? We have tons and tons and tons of homeless people where I live, and I'm still yet to see someone that is "poor".

Poor in spirit maybe, but 1 Timothy 6 says,
                  • 6 But godliness with contentment is great gain, 7 for we brought nothing into the world, and[c] we cannot take anything out of the world. 8 But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. 9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

People are not content, but they feel entitled to more. I do not give to charity organizations here in America, because I do not believe the people here are poor. My money goes overseas towards people with no actual food and clothing.

My money doesn't need to go to purchasing a new phone. This woman isn't poor, I betcha she falls within the top ten percent worldwide as wealthy.

God bless,
                  William
                  Comment>

Originally posted by JamesFidler View Post
                    Yes, I feel that giving charity is service to god and I also feel that helping poor and needy is also a great service to god. Along with praying for poor people we should also help them by going on a humanitarian trip like this which will help in educating the poor people and creating a social awareness within them.
                    Donating your money,effort or time to charity is what anyone of principles and values would do without taking notice of whether the religion encourages it or not.
                    Comment>

William yeah, I'm not talking about entitled people demanding handouts for things that they don't need. I'm talking about people who don't have enough to eat, being turned away from churches. Shouldn't churches help their community?

In another case, there was a church that wouldn't open its doors as a safe haven during a severe storm. It was the only place nearby that could have sheltered numerous people, with a full basement. They flat out said no, and while they may have had a reason, they didn't offer one. I could never understand things like that.

WWJD?
                      Comment>

America only has two types of poverty: relative poverty and spiritual poverty. When you stand alone before God, being exhaustively known, how will you respond when He asks "Why is it you bought a $150,000 home and spent thousands every couple of years on pool repairs when millions died of malnutrition and you could've saved many of them?"

All who stand before him like so will be utterly speechless, and then there will surely be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
                        Comment>

Mat 25:31 — Mat 25:46
                          The Final Judgment
                          “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’
                          “Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Comment>

Originally posted by Trist View Post
                            America only has two types of poverty: relative poverty and spiritual poverty. When you stand alone before God, being exhaustively known, how will you respond when He asks "Why is it you bought a $150,000 home and spent thousands every couple of years on pool repairs when millions died of malnutrition and you could've saved many of them?"

All who stand before him like so will be utterly speechless, and then there will surely be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
                            I think some (liberals) want to genuinely help the disadvantaged. But it is another perspective to help people not be disadvantaged. In other words, if the entire top 1% richest in the world cashed in their assets and fed the entire world for a day, the next day there would be starving people.

Every society has attempted to create their own Utopia, but all utopian ideas have fallen to a flaming sword which guards the entrance of the Garden of Eden.

Furthermore, I think the Church is the greatest source of relief worldwide, and her critics sound like Judas when the perfume was being poured.

God bless,
                            William
                            Comment>

I hope what I said wasn't taken as being a criticism of The Church (in general). My point was that I think it's a good idea to encourage specific, individual, churches to play a bigger role in their community.

Most of the churches I've attended have been great about doing this. I've just seen some others that seem ... "closed off." I don't understand that. That's the reason for the discussion.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap