The Christian life is a personal intimate relationship between you and Christ. This life begins in faith (Ephesians 2:8-9) and can only be lived by faith.

Listening to the voice of God.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listening to the voice of God.

My mother always listened to the voice of God, and she said that he would help her when she had a decision to make, or just needed help with something.
    She told me that if we listen to God when he is telling us to do something, then we may never know what might have happened; but if we do not listen, then sometimes we find out in a very hard way that we should have listened and done what God was telling us to do.

When I was a young child, there was an experience of this that has stayed with me through all of the rest of my life. It was Memorial Day weekend, and the whole family was loaded into our car and the trunk was filled with flowers. We were on our way to the cemetary in a nearby town to put flower bouquets on all of the graves of family members who had passed away.
    The road was an old narrow 2-lane highway (this was back in the early 1950's) and there was a bad S-curve that went under the train trestle and the sides of the underpass were thick concrete on both sides.
    Because the curve was sharp, and under an overpass, you could not see any traffic coming from the other side of the curve. Just as we got to the sharp corner, my mother (who was driving) suddenly pulled off of the road and skidded to a fast stop.
    Before any of us could even ask her why she did that, a huge auto-transport semi came through the underpass. He was going way too fast for that sharp corner, and was clear on OUR side of the road.
    In fact, he almost crashed into the concrete wall on our side of the underpass.
    If my mother had not stopped,, there would have been a terrible wreck, and we would have been completely crushed between that semi truck and the concrete wall.
    We would probably have all died that day if my mother had not instantly, and unnquestioningly, obeyed the voice of God that told her to stop.

For most people it's hard for them to actually listen because they don't know if the voice they hear actually is God's voice. And should they hear something they probably don't like they'll do what they please anyway and regret having made that choice later. We should pray and like Elijah we may hear the "still small voice."
    Comment>

Originally posted by Smithee View Post
      For most people it's hard for them to actually listen because they don't know if the voice they hear actually is God's voice. And should they hear something they probably don't like they'll do what they please anyway and regret having made that choice later. We should pray and like Elijah we may hear the "still small voice."
      I believe that the 'real' Word of God for this dispensation is that which speaks into the "fleshy tables of a believer's heart" and that our sovereign God takes care of our need not to be mislead into uncertainty regarding the "still small voice" that we might thus have heard.
      Of course, if you prefer 'Religion' based on a written 'Text Book', rather than New Covenant 'Faith' then you will tread the pathway that Paul laboured so hard to correct and extinguish amongst the Galatians.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Smithee View Post
        Discernment of the kind that you speak of is huge. A lot of people will pray but won't stop to listen to the response. That still, small voice is there, just as it was in Elijah's day. Only now we forget how to listen for it. And it's very true that we don't always like what we are hearing, but trying to change it always seems to make things worse for us in the long run. The concept that "I'm in charge of my fate" is one that many people refuse to relinquish, even to the hands of God. Often, even when brought down to their knees by bad things that have happened in life, people still won't let go of that all important control. They don't realize how much easier some things might become if they did.
        Comment>

I think you have to look to God in these situations and he is somewhat like a conducter and directs us to find our inner nature and we discover him in this way. God is everywhere and he is in the cities and suburban sprawls as well. I feel closer to him in nature though, through the oceans,forests,mountains and creeks. I think you can feel God through the human spirit and it becomes the life of mankind this way?
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap