The Christian life is a personal intimate relationship between you and Christ. This life begins in faith (Ephesians 2:8-9) and can only be lived by faith.

Christians and athiests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christians and athiests

I know two people who profess to be athiests. They are happy, well-rounded individuals. What do Christians have to say about this. I expected they would be kind of evil or something. But they are not, they are super nice people.

Personally I have no problem with that scenario ..... I don't see people as being 'saved or lost'.
    I too know of some very 'good' ordinary folk, and some totally nasty 'born againers'.
    Comment>

Originally posted by cluckeyo View Post
      I know two people who profess to be athiests. They are happy, well-rounded individuals. What do Christians have to say about this. I expected they would be kind of evil or something. But they are not, they are super nice people.
      Why should they be evil in the first place? It feels like your head is just full of stereotypes about people. The world is full of non-religious people whose moral standards are much higher compared to those of religious people. At the same time, there are also lots of people who are religious but their actions show that they are religious just for the sake of being religious, unfortunately.
      Comment>

Originally posted by artyarson View Post

At the same time, there are also lots of people who are religious but their actions show that they are religious just for the sake of being religious, unfortunately.
        And that is one of the very best signs that the "claims" such people make about being Christians are most often, nothing more than that :( As the Lord tells a bunch of folks at the end of the age who apparently thought they were Christians (and probably looked like Super-Christians to those who knew them here):

22 “Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’
        23 “And then I will declare to them, I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’ ~Matthew 7
        Sadly for them, not only were they not, "Super-Christians", they were never Christians to begin with (cf Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43 .. the Wheat & the Tares)

Yours and His,
        David

Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>

People can never know what it really means to be happy unless they know God. Atheists it might appear they are happy but their happiness ends at the grave. Christians however once they die, know that they'll never be unhappy again because they'll be with God. As for being evil, I think most people know what's good and what's right and some may choose to do what's right but even if they do unless they get to know Jesus their "righteousness" will not save them.
          Comment>

cluckeyo are they really atheists or are they maybe agnostic? Or have they just not given matters of spirituality much thought?

Just my opinion but I feel that atheism is growing into a sort of religion of it's own these days. There are many intellectual, educated, scientific minded individuals who ascribe to the "proofs" of Richard Dawkins, for example. Some of these people can seem a little angry, as they might have a view like "my life wouldn't suck this way or that if there were a God", or prideful as "my hard work has gotten me where I am, not God", etc. So these types may stand out a bit and color all atheists.

But then there are others who just don't give these matters much thought. Additionally I would say some Buddhists can be described as atheists, and they are a very peaceful and loving religion.

So it's really hard to make a blanket statement. Either way we should show love to our neighbor and pray for them.
            Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post

And that is one of the very best signs that the "claims" such people make about being Christians are most often, nothing more than that :( As the Lord tells a bunch of folks at the end of the age who apparently thought they were Christians (and probably looked like Super-Christians to those who knew them here):

Sadly for them, not only were they not, "Super-Christians", they were never Christians to begin with (cf Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43 .. the Wheat & the Tares)

Yours and His,
              David
              Yeah. I just have some acquaintances of mine who say they are Christians. However, they know nothing about the whole religion thing. Their attitude is somewhat like that: "Well, I don't really need religion in my life. However, I'd prefer calling myself a Christian rather than being an atheist. In case something bad occurs, you know". This will never work.
              Comment>

I know two people who profess to be atheists. They are happy, well-rounded individuals. What do Christians have to say about this. I expected they would be kind of evil or something. But they are not, they are super nice people.
                They have no reason at present to give you the shaft.

Christianity stands alone in how it defines LOVE. To suffer personal loss, for the benefit of someone who is NOT a 'nice' person is how Jesus loves us and calls us to love others.
                First, I doubt that they are 'super nice'. I do not say this because they are atheists, but because they are people. In my experience, the book of Romans and Proverbs and Ecclesiastics come a lot closer to accurately describing the human heart than the plastic mask we wear in public for a few minutes of polite conversation. Live with them for two weeks and get to really know them.

Unfortunately, like the Pharisees, their perceived 'goodness' will probably prevent them from seeing their need for salvation and damn them in the end to a rude and unpleasant awakening about just how Holy God is and how high that bar was really set.
                Comment>

Originally posted by Way of the Spirit View Post
                  Personally I have no problem with that scenario ..... I don't see people as being 'saved or lost'.
                  I too know of some very 'good' ordinary folk, and some totally nasty 'born againers'.
                  That is a bit of a troubling statement to make.
                  Without starting a fight, but just for clarification ...

Is there such a thing as Sin?
                  Is God Holy?
                  What happens when people who have sinned approach a holy God?
                  Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post

That is a bit of a troubling statement to make.
                    Without starting a fight, but just for clarification ...

Is there such a thing as Sin?
                    Is God Holy?
                    What happens when people who have sinned approach a holy God?
                    I am reticent to judge whether certain less extreme examples of mankind are 'saved or lost'.....maybe that's best left to God.
                    Sure there's such a thing as Sin....good heavens it caused God to sacrifice his son in order to atone for it.
                    And yes, God has to be the epitome of sinless holiness.
                    Sin cannot 'be' in the presence of God, and even those of faith have to stand before the judgement seat of Christ and have their works of wood, hay, and stubble, purified away before they can enter Eternal Life in God's New Jerusalem.
                    At least that's what I believe.
                    Comment>

Sin cannot 'be' in the presence of God, and even those of faith have to stand before the judgement seat of Christ and have their works of wood, hay, and stubble, purified away before they can enter Eternal Life in God's New Jerusalem.
                      Well said
                      That's going to be so wild but how wonderful it will be to be free of it...the muck as it were

Comment>

I am reticent to judge whether certain less extreme examples of mankind are 'saved or lost'.....maybe that's best left to God.
                        Sure there's such a thing as Sin....good heavens it caused God to sacrifice his son in order to atone for it.
                        And yes, God has to be the epitome of sinless holiness.
                        At least that's what I believe.
                        Thanks for the clarification.
                        I just wanted to make sure that you were claiming "WE don't get to say" who is saved and who is lost, and not "everyone is saved".
                        Comment>

Wow that's a judgement call. You thought they were evil because they said they were atheist. That just means that they don't believe to a church or denomination. They aren't running around naked drinking goats blood. All of those that are looking for enlightenment, were once confused and searched for answers. I think everyone was an atheist as they never accepted Jesus Christ into their lives. They just didn't know they fell into the category.
                          Comment>
                          Working...
                          X
                          Articles - News - SiteMap