The Christian life is a personal intimate relationship between you and Christ. This life begins in faith (Ephesians 2:8-9) and can only be lived by faith.

Christmas Hoopla

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Hoopla

I enjoy the Christmas season and I like to decorate and make everything beautiful, and cook good foods, and kind of make a big deal out of. I consider it to be an expression of my love for Christ. Do some Christians consider it to be off the subject and best kept understated?

Celebrating Christmas is good if it is done for the purpose of honoring Christ but too many people care more about Santa Claus than Christ.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

I see it as another opportunity to share what Christ did for us to our kids. Sure we exchange gifts and decorate the house, but we do not lose focus on the actual reason.
      Comment>

Well I agree with the other users above in that it is never too early or too late to celebrate Christmas if the right intention is there. As long as you are doing like Knotical mentioned and teaching the lessons and celebrating the spirit of goodwill towards all man, then you are all good. The more that it is commercialized and made more about the things, that is where you might start to make people angry and frustrated, and justifiably so.
        Comment>

In my opinion, Christmas has turned into a marketing ploy and has nothing to do about celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. Billion are spent during the holidays for something that has been conjured up to increase sales in the business sector. They did it by attaching it to the Jesus Christ name and relevance.

It's just like Easter. We go from the resurrection of Christ to the damn Easter Bunny that hide eggs for little kids to find. A direct use of his name to further sales.
          Comment>

No one knows Christ's exact date of birth so Christmas to me doesn't mean much. What we should be celebrating is the resurrection of Jesus because it reminds us of His sacrifice
            And He took bread, and when He had given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of Me.”
            Christmas? It's been commercialized and isn't even supposed to be a holiday for Christians.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Smithee View Post
              No one knows Christ's exact date of birth so Christmas to me doesn't mean much. What we should be celebrating is the resurrection of Jesus because it reminds us of His sacrifice Christmas? It's been commercialized and isn't even supposed to be a holiday for Christians.
              Why would Christians not want to celebrate the day Jesus was born (God made in human form)? It signifies the moment God enacted His plan to save His people from their sins, which of course was culminated in Jesus dying on the cross.

Quite honestly, as long as we are recognizing the true purpose of the holidays both should be celebrated.
              Comment>

Here's a good reason why we shouldn't celebrate Christmas:
                Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus on 25 December. However, early believers didn't mark the event as they considered it a pagan practice.
                [by 300 A.D] Christians had begun to organise their ministry and debate the merits of various feast days to mark Jesus’ birth. Suggestions for Christmas included 21 March and 20 May.
                And the Roman Catholic church settled on December 25 as Christ's birthday. If early Christians thought it was a pagan practice then it most certainly is what they thought it was.
                Comment>

I know that the Resurrection of Christ should be the most important celebration for Christians, but I really enjoy Christmas. I like the decorations, the festivities and every thing that goes with it. I love Christmas.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by anupamas2 View Post
                    I know that the Resurrection of Christ should be the most important celebration for Christians, but I really enjoy Christmas. I like the decorations, the festivities and every thing that goes with it. I love Christmas.
                    Um, the resurrection of Christ is Easter. Christmas is the birth of Christ.
                    Comment>

I know some people are very put off by the secular celebration and the commercialization. I still like celebrating Christmas. I like to remind people of The Reason for the season. Even if it isn't technically His correct birth date, and we don't know what that date is, we can still celebrate the fact that He was born.

I think as long as we don't put all the trappings of the holiday before God, it's okay to celebrate it. Putting anything before God is what gets us into trouble, if you ask me.
                      Comment>

I enjoy Christmas but the excessive commercialization is a turn-off. Not even October and stores are blaring Christmas music. It's become all about profiting from it, with the real reason behind it being all but abandoned and forgotten. Part of the reason for a lot of problems in this country and the world at large, if you ask me, but especially egregious when it's a day that's ostensibly about celebrating Christ's birthday.
                        Comment>

Good post, Jester85 . You nailed it.

I remember one year in particular, because retailers were trying so hard to do away with "Merry Christmas." They all wanted to refuse to use the word Christmas, yet they all still wanted to profit from it. Where I live, that was never going to fly.

They can't say the word, but they can have a huge Christmas tree or "holiday tree" that year, up in the middle of the store in September??? Yeah, no. I don't think so.

I don't think they'll try that one again. Now, you see the word Christmas all over the store.;)

Joyous Christmas, everyone!
                          Comment>

I don't understand the uproar anyway. I don't know anyone, Christian or not, who is going to freak out because someone just casually wishes them Merry Christmas. If I know for a fact someone is Jewish, or whatever, I would wish them Happy Hanukkah, otherwise it's just a generic "Merry Christmas". It's not that big of an "issue" unless people try to make it into one.
                            Comment>

Originally posted by Jester85 View Post
                              I don't understand the uproar anyway. I don't know anyone, Christian or not, who is going to freak out because someone just casually wishes them Merry Christmas. If I know for a fact someone is Jewish, or whatever, I would wish them Happy Hanukkah, otherwise it's just a generic "Merry Christmas". It's not that big of an "issue" unless people try to make it into one.
                              I know, right? Then again, some people just look for things to get offended over. I've seen some people freak out over the mere mention of God or the Bible or even something generically related to religion. They swear you are "forcing" religion on them. I don't know what they are so afraid of.

I don't go out of my way to offend anyone, but it is my habit to say Merry Christmas. I plan to continue saying it.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap