The Christian life is a personal intimate relationship between you and Christ. This life begins in faith (Ephesians 2:8-9) and can only be lived by faith.

Going To Church

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Going To Church

    Is it advisable that we should go to church while our children stay at home? That is what we were arguing about with my wife when she said that she was in a hurry and that is why she could not have waited for our kid to wake up. She went to church alone leaving me behind with my daughter.

  • #2
    Normally it is best that the whole family go to church unless there are some special circumstances that make it impossible. Why didn't you wake your daughter up in time for her to get ready to go to church with you?
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

    • #3
      Yeah, we will need a little bit more background on this. Is this the first time this happened? Does this happen all the time? Do you not have another means of getting to church?
      Comment>

      • #4
        Parents shouldn't leave their kids behind. What will kids learn from this? Not going to church is OK. It's sets a negative precedent because in future the kid could just remind you of the day they didn't go to church. To avoid this, the whole family should get up early. That way you'll all be ready for church when it's time.
        Comment>

        • #5
          Why is it that your children won't be able to go to church? Is it because they don't want to, or because they can't that specific day? Because if your children don't want to go to church, you shouldn't force them, but you should definitely sit them down when you can and talk to them about it, explaining to them why it's important that they go to the place where it's easier to find God. If they're not able to go to Church for a reason outside their control, I'd suggest you leave them with some activities, like reading a passage of the Bible each day, or writing down something they've learned, just so they won't get used to not going.
          Comment>

          • #6
            Originally posted by cecejailer View Post
            if your children don't want to go to church, you shouldn't force them
            When a child is very young a good parent will force him to do a lot of things he doesn't want to do. The Bible commands parents to teach their children about God and doing that requires insisting that they attend worship services. A child is forced to attend school whether he wants to or not; isn't it as important to teach him about God as it is to teach him to read and write?
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by theophilus View Post
              When a child is very young a good parent will force him to do a lot of things he doesn't want to do. The Bible commands parents to teach their children about God and doing that requires insisting that they attend worship services. A child is forced to attend school whether he wants to or not; isn't it as important to teach him about God as it is to teach him to read and write?
              Because God doesn't belong to one religion. Parents should teach children about God, but not force them to follow a religion they don't believe in (even if they might in the future). Reading and writing isn't about personality and morals, it's about the basics you need to survive and live in society. Religion, although necessary, is a choice and not a survival necessity. A children should be allowed to choose either they want or don't want to follow the church their parents belong to. I rebelled against church at a young age because my family forced me into it. It made me feel hopeless and forced. I only found religion years later, because I wanted to, not because someone told me what to believe in. I believe religion should be a choice and not a tradition. Only because your family believes in something, doesn't mean that belief fits your life the same way.
              God doesn't belong to any church, it belongs to each one's faith. Some people might not agree with the way a specific church teaches about God, and that's okay.
              Comment>

              • #8
                Originally posted by cecejailer View Post

                Because God doesn't belong to one religion. Parents should teach children about God, but not force them to follow a religion they don't believe in (even if they might in the future). Reading and writing isn't about personality and morals, it's about the basics you need to survive and live in society. Religion, although necessary, is a choice and not a survival necessity. A children should be allowed to choose either they want or don't want to follow the church their parents belong to. I rebelled against church at a young age because my family forced me into it. It made me feel hopeless and forced. I only found religion years later, because I wanted to, not because someone told me what to believe in. I believe religion should be a choice and not a tradition. Only because your family believes in something, doesn't mean that belief fits your life the same way.
                God doesn't belong to any church, it belongs to each one's faith. Some people might not agree with the way a specific church teaches about God, and that's okay.
                So you hold your parents at fault for actually doing what they were instructed to do? Do you find more wisdom in your own ability and decisions rather than in God's wisdom and instruction? I think too many emphasize personal experience, rather than obedience. I mostly respect those that have been obedient rather than rebellious, which I believe our culture and society gives the latter too much emphasis and credit. In other words, too many credit the prodigal child for being a prodigal child, rather than understanding the consequences of being a prodigal child.
                • Genesis 18:19 For I have chosen him, that he may command his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing righteousness and justice, so that the Lord may bring to Abraham what he has promised him.”
                • Deuteronomy 6:6-7 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
                • Proverbs 22:16 Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
                • Ephesians 6:1-12 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise),

                God bless,
                William
                Comment>

                • #9
                  Well I have certainly had morning like this, both when I was younger and now that I am older and have kids of my own. It can be tough to make sure that everyone is up on a Sunday morning, and it is especially hard give that we go to the early service, just out of habit at this point. It is the day of rest, but I find that it is always better when it is started off with a good church service and some breakfast afterwards. That has the makings for s perfect Sunday in my opinion.
                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Originally posted by cecejailer View Post

                    Because God doesn't belong to one religion. Parents should teach children about God, but not force them to follow a religion they don't believe in (even if they might in the future). Reading and writing isn't about personality and morals, it's about the basics you need to survive and live in society. Religion, although necessary, is a choice and not a survival necessity. A children should be allowed to choose either they want or don't want to follow the church their parents belong to. I rebelled against church at a young age because my family forced me into it. It made me feel hopeless and forced. I only found religion years later, because I wanted to, not because someone told me what to believe in. I believe religion should be a choice and not a tradition. Only because your family believes in something, doesn't mean that belief fits your life the same way.
                    God doesn't belong to any church, it belongs to each one's faith. Some people might not agree with the way a specific church teaches about God, and that's okay.
                    This is a rather misguided liberal point of view, which smacks of Universalism. There is only one God, but He is not the God of islam, buddhism, hinduism, etc... Really, the bible has the only accurate description of God, as it was written by Him through inspired men.
                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Knotical View Post

                      This is a rather misguided liberal point of view, which smacks of Universalism. There is only one God, but He is not the God of islam, buddhism, hinduism, etc... Really, the bible has the only accurate description of God, as it was written by Him through inspired men.
                      Yeah, guess the difference between us is that I do believe in liberalism. I also do think there is only one God, but different religions have different views about Him. You say the bible has the "only accurate description of God", but this is your point of view. This is western point of view. There's nothing that proves we are correct, or if there's even correctness when it comes to faith. Maybe all religions are right, maybe none is. I am a Christian but I do believe people should be able to choose what they believe in and that we can't force our views down other people's throats because "it's right." We don't know if we're right, we believe we are. Just like them. Don't you think other religions aren't also 100% sure they're right? So what's to prove there is even a correct answer...
                      I don't believe liberalism is a bad thing. I believe it makes us unique. I think liberalism is necessary otherwise the world would never evolve. If the bible was 100% correct like most people claim, why does science also have "accurate description" of lots of things the bible fails to realize? Like the world being round, like earth being way older than we think?
                      Comment>

                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cecejailer View Post

                        Yeah, guess the difference between us is that I do believe in liberalism. I also do think there is only one God, but different religions have different views about Him. You say the bible has the "only accurate description of God", but this is your point of view. This is western point of view. There's nothing that proves we are correct, or if there's even correctness when it comes to faith. Maybe all religions are right, maybe none is. I am a Christian but I do believe people should be able to choose what they believe in and that we can't force our views down other people's throats because "it's right." We don't know if we're right, we believe we are. Just like them. Don't you think other religions aren't also 100% sure they're right? So what's to prove there is even a correct answer...
                        I don't believe liberalism is a bad thing. I believe it makes us unique. I think liberalism is necessary otherwise the world would never evolve. If the bible was 100% correct like most people claim, why does science also have "accurate description" of lots of things the bible fails to realize? Like the world being round, like earth being way older than we think?
                        Forget about what individual people believe is "right." Take a look at how each "religious" book portrays its god. Which would you want to be real? Every other religion besides Christianity requires something of the individual in order to facilitate salvation. And that "something" the individual must achieve is fundamentally impossible. Christianity is the only religion puts all the requirements on God to facilitate salvation. Sure there is a response from the believer, but salvation comes from what God did, not the individual. That is the fundamental difference between Christianity and all other religions.
                        Comment>

                        • #13
                          I have never heard of leaving the children at home. My grandmother took us to church every single Sunday and we knew the rules. We were not aloud to make a lot of noise and had to make sure to maintain our behavior. I believe that children should be taken into the church. I learned about God at a very young age and it helped me develop a moral compass. Having a better understanding of the lord at a young age is nothing to be ashamed of. I encourage people to bring their kids to church and let them adapt to Sundays early. If my grandmother told me I was staying home while she went to church, I would have been stoked as a child. I am so happy that wasn't an option, now that I'm older.
                          Comment>

                          • #14


                            Originally posted by cecejailer View Post
                            I don't believe liberalism is a bad thing. I believe it makes us unique. I think liberalism is necessary otherwise the world would never evolve. If the bible was 100% correct like most people claim, why does science also have "accurate description" of lots of things the bible fails to realize? Like the world being round, like earth being way older than we think?
                            IMO liberalism is a problem and in "many ways" has resulted in many social issues such as the slippery slope of post modernism. And why do you assume that the Bible suggests that the earth is flat? Because someone asked the question or made a thread on this subject?

                            Do you realize that Jesus used Genesis as a historical record referring to its creation account numerous times? It really doesn't matter to me what I think, but rather what Jesus believed. Given this "new" information to you, do you choose to follow Christ or Science? Where does your faith reside? Are you ready to call Jesus wrong or a liar? Before you unquestionably decide to choose Science, lemme ask you... . regarding Darwinian Evolution, have you or anyone else observed, tested, and repeated this particular process? If not, why do you place so much faith in something that is not observable, testable, or repeatable? In other words, can you point to one genus resulting in another genus? Have you ever witnessed the breeding of dogs resulting in an elephant in the room? Lastly, you seem to unquestionably believe that the earth is billions of years old. Are you ready to defend the dating method and the object dated to determine this? I take it that you have studied this and drawn to your own conclusion? If not, are you not being indoctrinated against your own "choice" as you have suggested on your points of religion?

                            Furthermore, according to the first two laws of thermodynamics, the universe is dying rather than evolving. Nothing in nature has ever been observed to contradict these laws of thermodynamics. Our universe is slowly depleting itself of heat, and will ultimately have an end. What has an end has a beginning therefore making it finite. The universe is not infinite, but had to come into existence, but how can something come from nothing? Given these basic questions, Science has failed horribly, and is far from being "Absolute" as you have suggested on the topic of creation. Even the multiverse hypothesis failed as a theory some decade ago.


                            God bless,
                            William
                            Comment>

                            • #15
                              Hi William, science may have failed where the creation of the universe is concerned, but only because we didn't have a ringside seat for that one (IOW, no one was there to see how it happened). But as you know, things eventually add up and are figured out in due time. In regards to that which is both testable and observable however, science is NEVER wrong, EVER .. well, except for Trans Fats, but that is the 'singular' exception to the rule. Outside of that, "science" has never failed us (and it never will).

                              Come on William, get with the program ;) :p




                              *(all kidding aside, post #14 above is excellent .. thanks :))
                              Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

                              "We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

                              "The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

                              "The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

                              "The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap