There is something healthy about returning to one’s roots. When it comes to evangelical Christianity, its roots are found in the soil of the sixteenth-century Protestant Reformation.

Faith alone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faith alone?

Faith alone ? This is a phrase i"ve heard often , but i'm not sure i understand what it means. I want to start a discussion about Faith , and the Salvation process. But before i do , could someone who knows about "Faith alone" , tell me what it means?

Hi Jon, "faith alone" means that there is nothing we can do to merit salvation. Rather, we have "faith" that God will choose to graciously save us based upon the merits of Another (just like He promised us He would .. John 3:16 :)).

Yours in Christ,
    David
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

Originally posted by David Lee
      Hi Jon, "faith alone" means that there is nothing we can do to merit salvation. Rather, we have "faith" that God will choose to graciously save us based upon the merits of Another (just like He promised us He would .. John 3:16 :)).

Yours in Christ,
      David

Exactly, I think that's how we should define it for discussion.

Romans 5:1-2
      [1]Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
      [2]By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Ephesians 2:8-9
      [8]For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
      [9]Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Galatians 2:16
      [16]Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
      Comment>

Originally posted by David Lee View Post

Yours in Christ,
        David
        I agree with you David, theres nothing that we can do to merit Salvation. Such as works of any kind , the "o" word obedience ,lol. I look at that as Grace, the finished work Christ did on the cross. He alone paid that price for our sin and made it possible to stand before the Father in His presence. Thats Grace , His finished work. But how does one access that free gift of Grace , by Faith right?
        Comment>

Originally posted by faither View Post

I agree with you David, theres nothing that we can do to merit Salvation. Such as works of any kind , the "o" word obedience ,lol. I look at that as Grace, the finished work Christ did on the cross. He alone paid that price for our sin and made it possible to stand before the Father in His presence. Thats Grace , His finished work. But how does one access that free gift of Grace , by Faith right?
          This is where i'm trying to get a solid understanding of "Faith alone."
          Comment>

This is where i'm trying to get a solid understanding of "Faith alone."
            G'day Jon,

In historical context:

The “five solas” is a term used to designate five great foundational rallying cries of the Protestant reformers. They are as follows: “Sola Scriptura” (Scripture Alone); “Sola Gratia” (Grace Alone); “Sola Fide” (Faith Alone); “Solus Christus” (Christ Alone); and “Soli Deo Gloria” (To God Alone Be Glory).

These “five solas” were developed in response to specific perversions of the truth that were taught by the corrupt Roman Catholic Church. The Roman Church taught that the foundation for faith and practice was a combination of the scriptures, sacred tradition, and the teachings of the magisterium and the pope; but the Reformers said, “No, our foundation is sola scriptura”. The Catholic Church taught that we are saved through a combination of God's grace, the merits that we accumulate through penance and good works, and the superfluity of merits that the saints before us accumulated; the reformers responded, “sola gratia”. The Catholic Church taught that we are justified by faith and the works that we produce, which the righteousness that God infuses in us through faith brings about. The reformers responded, “No, we are justified by faith alone (sola fide), which lays hold of the alien righteousness of Christ that God freely credits to the account of those who believe”. The Catholic Church taught that we are saved by the merits of Christ and the saints, and that we approach God through Christ, the saints, and Mary, who all pray and intercede for us. The Reformers responded, “No, we are saved by the merits of Christ Alone, and we come to God through Christ Alone”. The Catholic Church adhered to what Martin Luther called the “theology of glory” (in opposition to the “theology of the cross”), in which the glory for a sinner's salvation could be attributed partly to Christ, partly to Mary and the saints, and partly to the sinner himself. The reformers responded, “No, the only true gospel is that which gives all glory to God alone, as is taught in the scriptures.”

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

G'day Jon,

In historical context:

The “five solas” is a term used to designate five great foundational rallying cries of the Protestant reformers. They are as follows: “Sola Scriptura” (Scripture Alone); “Sola Gratia” (Grace Alone); “Sola Fide” (Faith Alone); “Solus Christus” (Christ Alone); and “Soli Deo Gloria” (To God Alone Be Glory).

These “five solas” were developed in response to specific perversions of the truth that were taught by the corrupt Roman Catholic Church. The Roman Church taught that the foundation for faith and practice was a combination of the scriptures, sacred tradition, and the teachings of the magisterium and the pope; but the Reformers said, “No, our foundation is sola scriptura”. The Catholic Church taught that we are saved through a combination of God's grace, the merits that we accumulate through penance and good works, and the superfluity of merits that the saints before us accumulated; the reformers responded, “sola gratia”. The Catholic Church taught that we are justified by faith and the works that we produce, which the righteousness that God infuses in us through faith brings about. The reformers responded, “No, we are justified by faith alone (sola fide), which lays hold of the alien righteousness of Christ that God freely credits to the account of those who believe”. The Catholic Church taught that we are saved by the merits of Christ and the saints, and that we approach God through Christ, the saints, and Mary, who all pray and intercede for us. The Reformers responded, “No, we are saved by the merits of Christ Alone, and we come to God through Christ Alone”. The Catholic Church adhered to what Martin Luther called the “theology of glory” (in opposition to the “theology of the cross”), in which the glory for a sinner's salvation could be attributed partly to Christ, partly to Mary and the saints, and partly to the sinner himself. The reformers responded, “No, the only true gospel is that which gives all glory to God alone, as is taught in the scriptures.”

God bless,
              William
              Thanks for the good information William.

But what does it mean specifically to be saved by Grace through Faith ? I'understand Grace and i'm sure were all on the same page. But how would you apply the "through Faith" part of that equation?
              Comment>

Thanks for the good information William.

But what does it mean specifically to be saved by Grace through Faith ? I'understand Grace and i'm sure were all on the same page. But how would you apply the "through Faith" part of that equation?
                Ephesians 2:8 reiterates a point made from Ephesians 2:5. We are saved by Grace through Faith.... I always pause here and ask, "What of Faith?", and it follows, this is not your own doing. Two points, a) faith is a fruit of regeneration, b) faith in ourselves is powerless, but it is the object of our faith that saves us - Jesus Christ. This is not your own doing....

I've held onto the definition given by Scott to this day, faith is an action based on belief sustained in confidence. I would only add to that definition ... sustained in confidence "by God". The object of faith loses none given to Him by the Father. While I do adhere to a doctrine called "Perseverance of the Saints" which emphasizes man's accountability and responsibility it is also important to understand that likewise God "preserves" the Elect.

God bless,
                William
                Comment>

Ephesians 2:8 reiterates a point made from Ephesians 2:5. We are saved by Grace through Faith.... I always pause here and ask, "What of Faith?", and it follows, this is not your own doing. Two points, a) faith is a fruit of regeneration, b) faith in ourselves is powerless, but it is the object of our faith that saves us - Jesus Christ. This is not your own doing....

I've held onto the definition given by Scott to this day, faith is an action based on belief sustained in confidence. I would only add to that definition ... sustained in confidence "by God". The object of faith loses none given to Him by the Father. While I do adhere to a doctrine called "Perseverance of the Saints" which emphasizes man's accountability and responsibility it is also important to understand that likewise God "preserves" the Elect.

God bless,
                  William

Ya William i too hold onto alot of what Doc taught. But that definition of faith , "an act, based upon a belief , sustained by confidense " is not the "specific" act of faith that saves (pisteuo). That definition Dr. Scott taught all the time was accually the definition of "a verb". The specific Greek word that he related that definition too was "pisteuo" the verb form of pistis , the noun for faith in Greek. If i go into the Vines Greek dictionary , it defines "pisteuo" used 248 times as a "personal surrender to Him , and a life inspired by such surrender." Pisteuo was mistranslated into English with the words believe, believer , and believing , because the English doesn't have a word for the verb form of faith like the Greek does.

With that said , i still don't understand what "faith alone" implies" . But i'm willing to learn.

Comment>

With that said , i still don't understand what "faith alone" implies" . But i'm willing to learn.
                    What I provided in historical context pretty much clarifies what Sola Fide means. It is to be taken along with the other Solas. Sola Fide was a response to a works-righteousness being taught by the Catholic church. You could probably spend a couple of months just learning about Sola Fide and Justification from the Protestant/Reformed position. I think this site is rich in content about the subject matter.

As to your OP, this may be helpful: Sola Fide: The Reformed Doctrine of Justification -Christforums

God bless,
                    William
                    Comment>

What I provided in historical context pretty much clarifies what Sola Fide means. It is to be taken along with the other Solas. Sola Fide was a response to a works-righteousness being taught by the Catholic church. You could probably spend a couple of months just learning about Sola Fide and Justification from the Protestant/Reformed position. I think this site is rich in content about the subject matter.

As to your OP, this may be helpful: Link

God bless,
                      William
                      Im familiar with what your presenting . Let me ask the question in a different way. The Greek used a verb form of the noun Faith . The noun is "pistis" and the corresponding verb is "pisteuo". The noun and the verb were used aprox 245 times each.

Pisteuo being a verb , an act , based upon a belief , sustained by confidense. How do you define pisteuo? And how do you apply it to the Salvation journey.
                      Comment>

Im familiar with what your presenting . Let me ask the question in a different way. The Greek used a verb form of the noun Faith . The noun is "pistis" and the corresponding verb is "pisteuo". The noun and the verb were used aprox 245 times each.

Pisteuo being a verb , an act , based upon a belief , sustained by confidense. How do you define pisteuo? And how do you apply it to the Salvation journey.
                        I believe Origen is going to address your point in the other thread you both are engaged in. He is better educated being a teacher and expert in the Hebrew and Greek biblical languages.

As for me, I can't keep track of the threads that are blending together. I thought this conversation was on the subject of the Theological phrase Sola Fide which is by faith alone?

You say you don't understand it. Quite frankly, I do not understand why you do not understand it. Do you at least understand the phrase in its historical context used by early Reformers?

If so, and you want to go further into the doctrine then that'd be great?

God bless,
                        William
                        Comment>

Hi Jon, is your interest less about sola fide (which has already been explained pretty thoroughly in this thread) and more about how exercising faith/believing works in the salvation process?

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                          Comment>

Originally posted by David Lee View Post
                            Hi Jon, is your interest less about sola fide (which has already been explained pretty thoroughly in this thread) and more about how exercising faith/believing works in the salvation process?
                            I think Jon needs to clarify.

We need to know whether we should go into the definition of faith and/or how it applies in the life of the regenerate and towards Justification etc. <--- which all has to do with Sola Fide. So we're back to square one, unless someone just doesn't want to use a theological term because they object to theological terminology? I think this may be a great exercise and thread, because often we use theological terms and forget how to explain them simply.

In other words, Sola Fide would "unpack" into pages and pages of information. I'm game.

Daniel1212 Care to tackle the question from a metaphysical perspective?

God bless,
                            William
                            Comment>

I think Jon needs to clarify.

We need to know whether we should go into the definition of faith and/or how it applies in the life of the regenerate and towards Justification etc. <--- which all has to do with Sola Fide. So we're back to square one, unless someone just doesn't want to use a theological term because they object to theological terminology? I think this may be a great exercise and thread, because often we use theological terms and forget how to explain them simply.

In other words, Sola Fide would "unpack" into pages and pages of information. I'm game.

Daniel1212 Care to tackle the question from a metaphysical perspective?

God bless,
                              William
                              If that's where this thread goes, I'm game too :)

Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap