There is something healthy about returning to one’s roots. When it comes to evangelical Christianity, its roots are found in the soil of the sixteenth-century Protestant Reformation.

No reformed church

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No reformed church

    We moved a few years ago and come from a reformed presbyterian background. We have visited many churches but there are no reformed churches here. There are plenty of pcusa. We visited southern baptist and methodist but no where we want to plant our feet. Right now we are attending a Lutheran Church. However it is more liberal than we are so idk what to do yet.

  • #2
    I have no real advice except to pray for guidance and keep looking.
    It is hard to imagine that God has left an area with no Remanent.
    Comment>

    • #3
      Hi Todd,

      I have no advice either Todd, this is something my wife and I are keeping in consideration as we plan our move a couple of years down the road. Have you tried the Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC) website and their congregation or church locator? Orthodox Presbyterian Church

      God bless,
      William
      Comment>

      • #4
        I did find a ARP church near us but the phone book is not a good place to look. Neither is the Internet. Both seem to just lump all presbyterian into either pca or pcusa. There are two pca churches I find that are 12 miles away. The arp shows 5 miles. I am going to check out the arp soon. My wife likes the larger Lutheran Church however I'm comfortable in a small church especially if it has sound doctrine.
        Comment>

        • #5
          Forgot to mention I found these on the specific denominational websites. I will check the opc.
          Comment>

          • #6
            Originally posted by Todd View Post
            I did find a ARP church near us but the phone book is not a good place to look. Neither is the Internet. Both seem to just lump all presbyterian into either pca or pcusa. There are two pca churches I find that are 12 miles away. The arp shows 5 miles. I am going to check out the arp soon. My wife likes the larger Lutheran Church however I'm comfortable in a small church especially if it has sound doctrine.
            Which Presbyterian church did you grow up in, Todd? The PCA? And I agree with you by sharing your concerns about the PCUSA.

            God bless,
            William
            Comment>

            • #7
              I actually grew up Southern Baptist. Got away from church for a while and married a Lutheran lady in the Lutheran Church. We later moved because of our job and found Covenant Presbyterian Church. Arp. That's where I learned about the reformed faith the sovereignty of God and etc. It was all new to me. At first I struggled with it and said well I can be a 3 point calvinist. But after a period of time God turned on the light bulb and I saw it all in the bible.
              Comment>

              • #8
                It isn't always possible to find a church you agree with completely. If there are any churches nearby that preach the gospel of salvation by faith in Jesus you should begin attending one of them even if they are wrong on some other issues. You can have fellowship with them even if you aren't willing to become a member of the church.
                Clyde Herrin's Blog
                Comment>

                • #9
                  Originally posted by Todd View Post
                  We moved a few years ago and come from a reformed presbyterian background. We have visited many churches but there are no reformed churches here. There are plenty of pcusa. We visited southern baptist and methodist but no where we want to plant our feet. Right now we are attending a Lutheran Church. However it is more liberal than we are so idk what to do yet.
                  I feel your pain, brother.

                  My wife and I have suffered greatly because of lack of community. If we had a few more $$ we would move to another state with more Reformed churches. That's how bad things are here (in New England).

                  We like the PCA; although there can be a spectrum of liberal to conservative within the denomination, it is mostly a sound and safe denomination, we've found.

                  Since the average evangelical church has become an entertainment-driven circus, it's vert difficult to go from a Reformed church with expository preaching, elders, and some sort of liturgy, to "seeker-freindy" church fashioned after Willow Creek.

                  After being in the position we have been for the past decade, I would strongly recommend moving, if that is possible, followed by driving an hours each way, if you have to.

                  Peace,

                  Brian

                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                    It isn't always possible to find a church you agree with completely. If there are any churches nearby that preach the gospel of salvation by faith in Jesus you should begin attending one of them even if they are wrong on some other issues. You can have fellowship with them even if you aren't willing to become a member of the church.
                    I would generally agree, except that there are certain churches where the doctrine is so altered that the only thing to do is shake the dust from your feet and move on. If they are more likely to lead you into error than help their members find light, then that's not something you want to get into. There are also ones lead by people who are anything but godly. If you can find one as close to your faith as you can manage, run by good people, that may be all you can do.

                    Have you contacted the local Presbytarian authority in charge of the area or diocese? They may know of prayer or study groups outside the church they can put you in touch with, and if they know there are enough people, they may be able to set up services with a minister. A new congregation is always something to celebrate.
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap