There is something healthy about returning to one’s roots. When it comes to evangelical Christianity, its roots are found in the soil of the sixteenth-century Protestant Reformation.

The Wrath of God in Preaching

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wrath of God in Preaching

William, I don't have an hour right now. Maybe I'll watch it at some point, though. What was your takeaway? What do you hope we understand better because of this lecture?
    Comment>

The sermon covered Leviticus 10, the unauthorized (strange) fire. I'm writing from memory as I have not reviewed the entire sermon as of late:

10 Now Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, each took his censer and put fire in it and laid incense on it and offered unauthorized[a] fire before the Lord, which he had not commanded them. 2 And fire came out from before the Lord and consumed them, and they died before the Lord. 3 Then Moses said to Aaron, “This is what the Lord has said: ‘Among those who are near me I will be sanctified, and before all the people I will be glorified.’” And Aaron held his peace.

4 And Moses called Mishael and Elzaphan, the sons of Uzziel the uncle of Aaron, and said to them, “Come near; carry your brothers away from the front of the sanctuary and out of the camp.” 5 So they came near and carried them in their coats out of the camp, as Moses had said. 6 And Moses said to Aaron and to Eleazar and Ithamar his sons, “Do not let the hair of your heads hang loose, and do not tear your clothes, lest you die, and wrath come upon all the congregation; but let your brothers, the whole house of Israel, bewail the burning that the Lord has kindled. 7 And do not go outside the entrance of the tent of meeting, lest you die, for the anointing oil of the Lord is upon you.” And they did according to the word of Moses.
      Besides being a case for the Regulative principal of worship, its application today left me disgusted. Verse 3 says "Among those who are near me I will be sanctified (Holy), and before all the people I will be glorified". Today, there are so many congregations no different than the world around them. It is impossible to tell the difference between those outside the church and those inside. They are there for entertainment. And in trying new things to entice people into a social club they call church these verses clearly say what was expected by God's people. Correct worship is spelled out for us, there is no room for foolery in our worship, no gimmickry etc. I am convinced that the law is a necessity in teaching others the Holiness of our God, I am appalled whenever someone lowers Jesus down to the level of my best buddy, my buddy who'd be cool with this or that.

At the end of Lev 10:3 it says Aaron held his peace. Imagine that, his appeal could of been, hey God my sons were trying new things to lure more people into church. Give us some leeway! But instead, it says he held his peace, literally, his mouth was shut, like so many will experience in the last day when every mouth will be shut before our Holy God. The sons of Aaron desecrated the worship of God, and God was not done, in Lev 10:4 God was ticked, He even wanted the dead corpses removed from out of the camp!

Sproul suggested that Leviticus 10 goes along the same lines as when David moved the ark, and it began to slip into the mud, and someone reached out to save the ark from falling into the mud. God struck the man dead! What did the man do? His first mistake was thinking that his own hands were cleaner than the mud on the ground!

That's a very quick recap. I loved Sproul's sermon, and it reminded me of the night my knees buckled. When I first had a glimpse of the Righteousness, Majesty, Justice, and the Holiness of our God. I am convinced that anyone that draws near to our Holy God recognizes the seriousness of man's depravity and just how wretched each of us are.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
        They are there for entertainment and trying new things to entice people into the church. These verses clearly say what was expected by God's people. Correct worship is spelled out for us, there is no room for foolery in our worship, no gimmickry etc. I am convinced that the law is a necessity in teaching others the Holiness of our God, I am appalled whenever someone lowers Jesus down to the level of my best buddy, my buddy who'd be cool with this or that.
        I couldn't agree more; although, I'm not a hardline RP guy.

The boys over at the White Horse Inn have described the problems very well, I think.

I loved Sproul's sermon, and it reminded me of the night my knees buckled. When I first had a glimpse of the Majesty, Justice, and the Holiness of our God. I am convinced that anyone that draws near to our Holy God recognizes the seriousness of man's depravity and just how wretched each of us are.
        Just as he did in the Garden, our enemy wishes to keep us from understanding both the holiness of God and the consequences of our sin. He is doing a very good job of it - within the churches. . .
        Comment>

Originally posted by thatbrian View Post

I couldn't agree more; although, I'm not a hardline RP guy.

The boys over at the White Horse Inn have described the problems very well, I think.

Just as he did in the Garden, our enemy wishes to keep us from understanding both the holiness of God and the consequences of our sin. He is doing a very good job of it, within the walls of churches. . .
          One of the studies I attended was a discussion group that talked about the White Horse Inn. We would meet each Monday and review and pause the discussion and talk about it. It was a Lutheran Missouri Synod group.

I think some refrain and negate the word of God. They don't want others to feel convicted, but I honestly think they are working against God. If the word convicts someone into repentance then that is God. If God convicts someone out of the congregation then that may just be protecting the flock. It isn't our job to determine who to convict or not, boldly speak the scriptures. I can give various reasoning, but in short, I believe we shouldn't water down the word of God. I know some that believe that the Pulpit should never be a place to preach the wrath of God.

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

One of the studies I attended was a discussion group that talked about the White Horse Inn. We would meet each Monday and review and pause the discussion and talk about it. It was a Lutheran Missouri Synod group.

I think some refrain and negate the word of God. They don't want others to feel convicted, but I honestly think they are working against God. If the word convicts someone into repentance then that is God. If God convicts someone out of the congregation then that may just be protecting the flock. It isn't our job to determine who to convict or not, speak the scriptures. I can give various reason, but in short, I believe we shouldn't water down the word of God. I know some that believe that the Pulpit should never be a place to preach the wrath of God.

God bless,
            William
            We think that we are smarter than God. We soften what He has made hard (His law), and we make difficult (justification), what He has make easy.

People misunderstand me constantly on subjects like homosexuality. They assume that my blunt and direct stance is hateful, when it couldn't be more loving, for the only cure for sin is forgiveness. When some well-meaning Liberal Christian softens the charge against sin - when he says to the homosexual offender, "peace, peace, when there is no peace" (Jer 6:14) he has kept a sinner from being forgiven. It is only when the law's demands are placed firmly on one's shoulders that he begs for mercy. When the law is explained away or softened to the point of simply being "nice" to others, there can be no mercy, as there is simply no need for it.
            Comment>

We think that we are smarter than God. We soften what He has made hard (His law), and we make difficult (justification), what He has make easy.

People misunderstand me constantly on subjects like homosexuality. They assume that my blunt and direct stance is hateful, when it couldn't be more loving, for the only cure for sin is forgiveness. When some well-meaning Liberal Christian softens the charge against sin - when he says to the homosexual offender, "peace, peace, when there is no peace" (Jer 6:14) he has kept a sinner from being forgiven. It is only when the law's demands are placed firmly on one's shoulders that he begs for mercy. When the law is explained away or softened to simply being "nice", there can be no mercy, as there is simply no need for it.

Couldn't of said it better thatbrian.

God bless, brother,
              William
              Comment>

I tried to get one of those started here, but here in the cold, dark northeast, there aren't many Christians, let alone those of the Reformed persuasion.

Do you still attend the group? Was it enjoyable? Would you say that it has any kingdom worth?
                Last edited by thatbrian; 09-03-2016, 05:40 AM.
                Comment>

I tried to get one of those started here, but here in the cold, dark north east, there aren't many Christians, let alone those of the Reformed persuasion.

Do you still attend the group? Was it enjoyable? Would you say that it has any kingdom worth?
                  It was, the host posts on this forums. I think he is starting another group, which I will attend when I receive word. I also attend an OPC study group done by another church close by throughout the week. I know it can be tough finding a Reformed community. The study group was very enjoyable, talking about the White Horse Inn. I think any group that gets you speaking bout God and articulating your thoughts on the subject is sharpening the edge of your sword! I think I write decently, but my verbal ability is nowhere near my typing. I try to attend any study group that provides the opportunity to better articulate the Gospel.

God bless,
                  William
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap