Dos and Don'ts, all we need to know is the Bible; however, not all is covered explicitly. Discuss how Christians should act or what they should do when facing divorce, smoking, and other issues.

About fighting and self defense

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Well, Jean positive thinking is a good thing, but it only goes so far. Bad things can and do still happen, even to those who do their best to maintain a positive attitude. Even people who are not "looking for trouble" sometimes have bad things happen to them. Being prepared for dangerous situations is not inviting trouble. Preparedness is intended to prevent problems, not cause them.

    The preventative measures listed below are a good start. Not putting yourself into dangerous situations, being aware of your surroundings, locking your doors at home, etc. are all good things. If carrying a defense weapon makes you uncomfortable, that's your choice.
    Comment>

      #32
      Originally posted by thisnthat View Post
      Well, Jean positive thinking is a good thing, but it only goes so far. Bad things can and do still happen, even to those who do their best to maintain a positive attitude. Even people who are not "looking for trouble" sometimes have bad things happen to them. Being prepared for dangerous situations is not inviting trouble. Preparedness is intended to prevent problems, not cause them.

      The preventative measures listed below are a good start. Not putting yourself into dangerous situations, being aware of your surroundings, locking your doors at home, etc. are all good things. If carrying a defense weapon makes you uncomfortable, that's your choice.
      That in itself is a belief - and whatever belief you construct becomes true for your life. My belief is that only good things happen to me and so that has become my experience.

      Your belief is that 'Positive thinking will only take you so far, and bad things can and do still happen' and GUESS WHAT? That becomes your experience!

      Anyway, to each their own. You argue for your truth and I argue for mine. I just hope that you will consider arguing for a truth that you actually want to live instead of one that you don't want to experience in your life.
      Comment>

        #33
        I hate violence, war, and its a difficult choice to be pre proactive in being ready for an attack that may never happen. The same is true for learning how To do life saving First Aid measures just in case you happen to be where First Aid might be needed. Maybe you will never be in a situation where your learned First Aid could save some ones life, but maybe you might. So do you just assume you won't? Most people can't even help where a person has stopped breathing.

        My wife and happened to be the only ones around when a young high school girl called us and said a man have just dropped to the ground and stopped breathing. We ran to him and started CPR. We did this for 45 minuets until the LIFE FLIGHT crew came and took over. We saved this mans life, it was very arduous work to do CPR for 45 minuets we were so worn out and exhausted, but we kept going until help arrived.

        What if we had said I won't take those CPR classes? Now I ask with the violent world we live in should we not be prepared to possibly protect someone else, or yourself? IMO I say we oue it to others and or families to be prepared, hopefully never having to use a weapon ;ole mace or a base ball bat, or a gun. But I believe I have a Biblical understanding to be a protector to my wife and family and those who just maybe in a life threatening situation.


        Justme
        Comment>

          #34
          Originally posted by Jean View Post
          My belief is that only good things happen to me and so that has become my experience.
          Not everyone who believed that has had the same experience.
          Clyde Herrin's Blog
          Comment>

            #35
            Originally posted by justme View Post
            We saved this mans life, it was very arduous work to do CPR for 45 minuets we were so worn out and exhausted, but we kept going until help arrived.

            What if we had said I won't take those CPR classes?
            I think that if you had decided not to take those CPR classes, either you wouldn't have been in that place when the man's life was in danger or there would have been someone else there who would have taken charge of the situation. I think that it was you and your partner who did that because you were ready for it - my point being: things like that will happen around you because you expect and are ready for them.

            Do you take self-defense classes because you might have to protect your family against muggers?
            Do you learn how to be a fireman because you might have to rescue your family in a fire?
            Do you dig an underground bunker under your house because you might have to .... (You get the point.)

            It never ends and you can't be ready for all of it. There might always be a situation that comes up that you aren't prepared for.

            That is going about things in a really hard and roundabout way - looking for security in all the wrong places. But with a little faith in the well-being that continually flows to you and the people you love and care about, you never have to think about all those things again. You only have to focus your faith in one area and that takes care of everything else.

            But then again that is just my opinion, I know it's only one opinion and not necessarily the right one. I respect your views as well. Hope you have a great day!
            Comment>

              #36
              Originally posted by theophilus View Post
              Not everyone who believed that has had the same experience.
              That is not true.

              Everyone who TRULY believes that has had the same experience. There are implicit and explicit beliefs. What you tell everyone you believe and what you really believe deep down inside are usually two different things but the proof is in the experience of those people. If someone really believed in something, it would become their experience - that is one of the basic laws of this universe.

              I'm no expert on the bible, and maybe others here can help out, but I think what I'm trying to explain here is something similar to what the guy experienced who was walking on the water because he believed in Jesus then he lost faith and he fell in... or something like that? I don't know the exact verse, but I hope you get my point. Let life prove this to you. If you totally believe in something, it becomes true for you - but if you falter in your belief then you start to experience things that will cause you to say things like "Not everyone who believed that has had the same experience..."

              Again, just my humble opinion...
              Comment>

                #37
                Originally posted by Jean View Post
                I don't know the exact verse, but I hope you get my point.
                And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” and they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.”

                And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.
                (Matthew 14:25-32)

                This doesn't prove your point at all. Peter had faith in Jesus and so when Jesus told him to come he was able to walk on water. What happened was that he got distracted by looking at the storm and when he took his attention off of Jesus he began to sink.

                There are many who believe they will be saved and go to Heaven when they die. Here is what Jesus said about them.

                Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ (Matthew 7:21-23)

                You can believe that everything is going well in your life and that belief can be utterly wrong. I pray that God will help you to see this before it is too late.
                Clyde Herrin's Blog
                Comment>

                  #38
                  As a Christian its my duty to be prepared to help people in need. I can not assume that a fireman will always be near to put a fire. I can not rely on anyone else to do for me what I am able to do for myself. I was a Boy Scout and their motto is "BE PREPARED" This should also be incorporated into every Christians life. I have been able to serve other's by this in ways that God has blessed. How sad it is to hear of people just standing about doing nothing when there is an emergency.

                  No I do not accept that is a person dies because CPR was not done because no one knew CPR that is was Gods will, it may be is permissive will but not His direct perfect will. If some one attempts to rob us whild traveling I will not just submit, because most men to do such things think little of making sure you don't talk. I will do everything possible to protect my family and me form evil. remember satan wants to kill you, I have much to do that also involves service to Christ. As long as I have breath that is what God wants me to do.

                  One think I fail to understand is girly men who are weaklings who would rather hide behind something instead of when to moment calls for action they hide. I believe is war came to our shores today there very small numbers of men who would step up as back in WW II. Our society has now changed to a bunch of overweight young boys who play video games and would rather play games with other boys; instead of getting a job and getting a car and dating a real Christian young lady, saving up for a home and finding a Christian wife. This is not unusual to see "boys" living with the parents clear up to their age of thirty> This is crazy that parents allow this to happen.
                  Comment>

                    #39
                    Originally posted by Jean View Post

                    That is not true.

                    Everyone who TRULY believes that has had the same experience. There are implicit and explicit beliefs. What you tell everyone you believe and what you really believe deep down inside are usually two different things but the proof is in the experience of those people. If someone really believed in something, it would become their experience - that is one of the basic laws of this universe.

                    I'm no expert on the bible, and maybe others here can help out, but I think what I'm trying to explain here is something similar to what the guy experienced who was walking on the water because he believed in Jesus then he lost faith and he fell in... or something like that? I don't know the exact verse, but I hope you get my point. Let life prove this to you. If you totally believe in something, it becomes true for you - but if you falter in your belief then you start to experience things that will cause you to say things like "Not everyone who believed that has had the same experience..."

                    Again, just my humble opinion...
                    This is genuine WORD OF FAITH teaching. Biblical truth is solid and what is true for me is also truth for us all if its based on Scripture.
                    Comment>

                      #40
                      Jean I understand that this is what you believe, but I don't know where you get that in the Bible. The Bible tells us that we will have trials and tribulations. We are told that things won't be perfect, but that God will help us.

                      John 16:33

                      I don't know of any Biblical teaching that says positive thinking can just will away all problems or negative situations. Do you honestly believe that there has not and will not ever be a single negative thing in your life, because you think positively? That seems to me like you think you are making something happen (or not happen) rather than God being in control. I just don't know how to reconcile that.
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap