Dos and Don'ts, all we need to know is the Bible; however, not all is covered explicitly. Discuss how Christians should act or what they should do when facing divorce, smoking, and other issues.

Is smoking/chewing tobacco a sin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is smoking/chewing tobacco a sin?

My second question is perhaps more complicated: Is it (also) a (greater?) sin to smoke whereby others can breathe it (secondhand smoke)?

I think so, as someone who has a nicotine addiction for 20+ years I can say that my conscience is seared. I am set free from sin, but I am still in the flesh and demonstrate habitual patterns of behavior through an addiction which really seems like habitual sin to me. At the very least it feels like I have another master. No one makes a habit of sinning, but every time I satisfy my addiction I think of myself as killing myself slowly.

As for second hand smoking, I used to work in an auto repair facility. I once took a four gas analyzer and blew exhaled smoke into it directly. It did not even register. I suspect that pulling up to an intersection with the windows down subjects us more to carbon monoxide and other emissions from automobiles than second hand smoke does. But I think the smell of second hand smoke, compared to an odorless emission from automobiles bothers people more.

I am currently taking Chantix... and when I "must" relapse try to do only on nicotine gum. It is a vicious cycle. Depending on the administration of nicotine smoking vs chewing etc, I'm ending my life more abruptly.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Thanks William. When did you start smoking and did your parents smoke? I have been a runner (as in jogging) pretty much all my life so the allure of smoking wasn't a serious problem for me.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        Thanks William. When did you start smoking and did your parents smoke? I have been a runner (as in jogging) pretty much all my life so the allure of smoking wasn't a serious problem for me.
        My mother smoked. And I began smoking at the age of 18 while in the military. My mother has quit now for over 20 years. I'm still struggling. I hate it with a passion, but the addiction craving is no different than hunger pains. The Chantix really does work though. I am very hopeful to have this addiction beat now!

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

I see smoking as similar to eating candy. It's bad for you, but it could be enjoyed with thanksgiving. It can also become a master, which would be bad. The potential for having smokes ruin your life by their mastery is high.
          Comment>

William -- thanks for sharing your smoking / nicotine addiction with us. There is a saying that a young person Starts smoking to show how grown up he is -- when he finally Is an adult -- he realizes the mistake he made and tries to Be an adult by stopping the smoking. Unfortunately -- the nicotine is addictive -- your system needs it and rebels when you don't give it what it wants.

It's good that you use Chantix and that's is working.

Maybe it's like alcohol -- take it one day at a time -- know what your stressors are.

And - No -- it's Not like eating candy. A person who is trying to stop smoking can't afford to indulge once in a while. Your lungs are at stake. And lots of people don't want to be around a smoker -- especially inside a house -- the smoke gets into curtains, eyes, etc.

I can't even be around 2nd hand smoke.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D. View Post
              William -- thanks for sharing your smoking / nicotine addiction with us. There is a saying that a young person Starts smoking to show how grown up he is -- when he finally Is an adult -- he realizes the mistake he made and tries to Be an adult by stopping the smoking. Unfortunately -- the nicotine is addictive -- your system needs it and rebels when you don't give it what it wants.

It's good that you use Chantix and that's is working.

Maybe it's like alcohol -- take it one day at a time -- know what your stressors are.

And - No -- it's Not like eating candy. A person who is trying to stop smoking can't afford to indulge once in a while. Your lungs are at stake. And lots of people don't want to be around a smoker -- especially inside a house -- the smoke gets into curtains, eyes, etc.

I can't even be around 2nd hand smoke.

Your teeth are at stake if you eat candy.
              Your body weight too (for most people), which leads to heart attack.

Why is smoking so special?
              Comment>

The original question -- is it a sin to smoke -- chewing tobacco.

For a believer -- your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit -- what are you putting into the temple.

And chewing tobacco. Many decades ago, I knew a guy who used it. He'd have a small cup to spit the juice out into. Or spit it out on the ground. It was Gross. And it can produce mouth / lip cancer. It's supposed to be better because it's not producing smoke that's inhaled by anyone. No thanks.

A good question would be -- Why am I thinking about doing.........?

Comment>

The original question -- is it a sin to smoke -- chewing tobacco.

For a believer -- your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit -- what are you putting into the temple.

And chewing tobacco. Many decades ago, I knew a guy who used it. He'd have a small cup to spit the juice out into. Or spit it out on the ground. It was Gross. And it can produce mouth / lip cancer. It's supposed to be better because it's not producing smoke that's inhaled by anyone. No thanks.

A good question would be -- Why am I thinking about doing.........?
                  This argument turns every doubtful thing that might harm your body (and sucking in oxygen harms your body, too) into a sin. Free Radicals - The Price We Pay For Breathing - NYTimes.com

We're not to judge based on doubtful things, Rom 14.
                  Comment>

You're asking why smoking is so special? Probably because it's so highly addictive -- the contents of cigerates -- what that does to a person's lungs. To a person's sense of taste / food. It's an expensive bad habit. The smoke gets into curtains, furniture , harmful for people around you.

Okay -- if you feel that it's okay for you to smoke - go ahead and smoke. But Romans 14 isn't really talking about that. It's talking about the weaker / stronger brother in relation to what is being eaten and when to worship. And, yes, we Will , each of us, give an account of himself to God. If, as a believer, you feel okay with smoking -- and someone else sees you doing that and thinks -- well he's a believer and He smokes, so apparently it's okay for Me to also. Except that he falls asleep while he's smoking on his couch or in bed. Or he becomes a chain smoker.

And, no, it Isn't turning every little thing into a possible sin. The article you brought up -- interesting title -- The Price we pay for breathing -- what Are we breathing into our lungs. And smog in the air isn't healthy , either. If a person's oxygen supply is cut off, you know what happens -- they Die.
                    Comment>

Except that he falls asleep while he's smoking on his couch or in bed. Or he becomes a chain smoker.
                      That was quite a twist in the plot.

Comment>

Originally posted by LostWanderer View Post

That was quite a twist in the plot.
                        Our actions have consequences both good and bad. As well as our motives For doing 'whatever'.

Society has gotten So Far Away from God's Word / reading it / taking it seriously / living it -- it's pathetic.
                        Comment>
                        Working...
                        X
                        Articles - News - SiteMap