Dos and Don'ts, all we need to know is the Bible; however, not all is covered explicitly. Discuss how Christians should act or what they should do when facing divorce, smoking, and other issues.

Be fruitful and multiply.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Be fruitful and multiply.

    Hey there, everyone. Do you consider the use of condoms and birth control to be sinnful within marriage? We can already rule out that its not natural. But is there any acceptable reason for the use of either?

    #2
    It is not sinful. Those who insist that it is sinful must demonstrate why.
    Comment>

      #3
      Originally posted by Innerfire89 View Post
      Hey there, everyone. Do you consider the use of condoms and birth control to be sinnful within marriage? We can already rule out that its not natural. But is there any acceptable reason for the use of either?
      No, I do not. Especially because some women are at high risk for various reasons should they become pregnant.

      I do not think there are any Scriptural prohibitions for their use while in marriage. An alternative to either would be keeping track of the menstrual cycle through the calendar which would be more natural.

      Since you're pointing out a universal commandment that went out to all of mankind, I'd like to know whether others think we are bound by this particular law?

      God bless,
      William
      Comment>

        #4
        Would it be best to say that if a couple can have children they should?
        Comment>

          #5
          Originally posted by Innerfire89 View Post
          Would it be best to say that if a couple can have children they should?
          John Calvin writes, “That pure and lawful method of increase, which God ordained from the beginning, remains firm; this is the law of nature which common sense declares to be inviolable” (commentary on Gen. 1:28).

          I think there is a rule but with exceptions. What about married couples that cannot have children? Does adopting fill the mandate? If so, why or why not?

          As far as a couple that can have children and doesn't want to. I ask for what reason? I think we should have some degree of self-examination to understand whether our motives are Scriptural or worldly. What if a couple can but refrains from doing so because they can adopt?

          What are your thoughts, Innerfire?

          God bless,
          William
          Comment>

            #6
            Originally posted by William View Post

            John Calvin writes, “That pure and lawful method of increase, which God ordained from the beginning, remains firm; this is the law of nature which common sense declares to be inviolable” (commentary on Gen. 1:28).

            I think there is a rule but with exceptions. What about married couples that cannot have children? Does adopting fill the mandate? If so, why or why not?

            I think they would be excused. They have no choice in the matter.

            Comment>

              #7
              Originally posted by William View Post



              As far as a couple that can have children and doesn't want to. I ask for what reason? I think we should have some degree of self-examination to understand whether our motives are Scriptural or worldly. What if a couple can but refrains from doing so because they can adopt?

              What are your thoughts, Innerfire?

              God bless,
              William
              Well, would it be wrong to put more emphasis on raising children instead of making children?
              Comment>

                #8
                Originally posted by William View Post

                John Calvin writes, “That pure and lawful method of increase, which God ordained from the beginning, remains firm; this is the law of nature which common sense declares to be inviolable” (commentary on Gen. 1:28).

                I think there is a rule but with exceptions. What about married couples that cannot have children? Does adopting fill the mandate? If so, why or why not?

                As far as a couple that can have children and doesn't want to. I ask for what reason? I think we should have some degree of self-examination to understand whether our motives are Scriptural or worldly. What if a couple can but refrains from doing so because they can adopt?

                What are your thoughts, Innerfire?

                God bless,
                William

                I don't think it's without excusable exception, and I don't think adoption is mandated in their case. Also note that adoption wouldn't add a new image bearer to the world.

                Take this as a principle:
                Mat 24:19 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!

                It's relevant to me, because I have a neurological disability that would prevent me from being able to properly help raise a young child.


                Originally posted by Innerfire89 View Post


                I think they would be excused. They have no choice in the matter.

                Some might say the infertile one can't marry.
                Comment>

                  #9
                  Condoms already exists during the ancient times in form of animal intestines. Sounds gross but they have limited technology back then. I think family planning is not bad as long as no baby is getting killed. I do know the Catholic church is against family planning because of what they are doing to the Philippines. They kept on blocking the reproductive health bill there.It is a low where the government will provide free condoms and pills for impoverished families so they will not be reproducing.That country have an over population problem.
                  Comment>

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Sparky View Post
                    Condoms already exists during the ancient times in form of animal intestines. Sounds gross but they have limited technology back then. I think family planning is not bad as long as no baby is getting killed. I do know the Catholic church is against family planning because of what they are doing to the Philippines. They kept on blocking the reproductive health bill there.It is a low where the government will provide free condoms and pills for impoverished families so they will not be reproducing.That country have an over population problem.
                    There was also "Onanism." :p
                    Comment>

                      #11
                      Originally posted by LostWanderer View Post

                      Some would say they can't marry.

                      They shouldn't. 1 Tim. 4: 1-5. Christ tells we should marry. Matt. 19: 10-12.
                      Comment>

                        #12
                        Originally posted by LostWanderer View Post
                        I don't think it's without excusable exception, and I don't think adoption is mandated in their case.
                        Neither do I. But I did emphasize self examination. I think our motives can be quite worldly. For example, not wanting children so that both spouses can work full time and buy that luxury home or fancy cars.

                        On another note, the world would have us believe that over population is a problem, and on the same note they'll say things like there are not enough people to pay into social security. Personally, I wonder why <sarcasm> when an entire generation has been aborted.

                        God bless,
                        William
                        Comment>

                          #13
                          Originally posted by LostWanderer View Post

                          There was also "Onanism." :p
                          I onanisim is basically what I'm quisioning.
                          Comment>

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Innerfire89 View Post


                            They shouldn't. 1 Tim. 4: 1-5. Christ tells we should marry. Matt. 19: 10-12.
                            I think that Paul is pretty clear saying that some are gifted for various offices in the church (some single and some married). Likewise he suggests that some should remain single (1 Corinthians 7) , and if so then I'd think this would directly violate the commandment to better serve the Lord. Paul continues, "celibacy is not for everyone any more than marriage is. God gives the gift of the single life to some, the gift of the married life to others."

                            As to me, personally, I'm in too bad of shape not to need a helpmeet :2:

                            God bless,
                            William
                            Comment>

                              #15
                              Originally posted by William View Post

                              Neither do I. But I did emphasize self examination. I think our motives can be quite worldly. For example, not wanting children so that both spouses can work full time and buy that luxury home or fancy cars.

                              On another note, the world would have us believe that over population is a problem, and on the same note they'll say things like there are not enough people to pay into social security. Personally, I wonder why <sarcasm> when an entire generation has been aborted.

                              God bless,
                              William
                              Although societies (esp post-industrial? can't remember) are destroyed if the birth rate is too high. The environment can't sustain them; this has happened repeatedly.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap