Dos and Don'ts, all we need to know is the Bible; however, not all is covered explicitly. Discuss how Christians should act or what they should do when facing divorce, smoking, and other issues.

Gay marriage and same sex marriage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay marriage and same sex marriage

I believe in gay marriage. Gay people have the same right to marry that straight people do.

I believe that God established marriage as a union between a man and a woman. A “marriage” between two men and two women is a sin.

Do these statements seem contradictory to you? There is a lot of confusion on this subject because most people use the terms “gay marriage” and “same sex marriage” interchangeably. In fact they do not mean the same thing.

Gay marriage is a marriage in which one or both of the partners experiences sexual attraction to others of the same sex. Same sex marriage is a partnership between two members of the same sex which claims to be a marriage. The difference is obscured by the fact that nearly all marriages involving gay people fall into both of these categories. However there are gays who are happily married to members of the opposite sex. You can read about some of them here: marriage-roundup . These marriages are gay marriages but they are not same sex marriages.

Proponents of legalizing same sex marriage claim this is a civil rights issue. They want gays to have the same rights straight people do. But gay people have always had the right to marry; most of them just chose not to exercise it. Some states in the United States once had laws against interracial marriage and other governments have passed laws prohibiting marriage between certain classes of people. But no law has ever prohibited gay people from marrying.

God established marriage for two purposes. The obvious reason is to provide a home to produce and bring up children, but there is another reason. Marriage was intended to serve as a symbol of the relationship between God and those who worship him. In the Old Testament Israel is called the wife of God; in the New Testament the Church is call the bride of Christ. In both cases God is represented by the male marriage partner and his people by the female. A union of two men or two women can’t accurately picture this relationship.

Many gay people would like to live with their same sex partner in a relationship that is legally recognized as marriage. Because our society no longer acknowledges the authority of God there are many who believe they should have the right to do this. Proponents of same sex marriage sincerely want to help gays live happier lives but they don’t realize that they are encouraging people to violate God’s laws. Gays in same sex marriages may experience happiness for a while but in the end they will face God’s judgment. Even some gay people recognize this fact: Seven Things I Wish My Pastor Knew About My Homosexuality .

Opponents of legalizing same sex marriage are accused of hating gays. In some cases this is true. Westboro Baptist Church is an example of this. But most who oppose same sex marriage do so because we love gays and know that in the long run same sex marriage will hurt them. Proponents of same sex marriage want to help them but what they are doing will lead to their condemnation. You have all heard the saying: The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. This is certainly true in the controversy about same sex marriage.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog

I think you are splitting hairs. No matter: the issue is whether gay, lesbian, trans, etc, people should have an officially, socially, generally recognised faithful sexual liaison in the same way straight, heterosexual people do. I can find no reason to deny them this. Of course, the church may choose to deny such relationships a sanctified status. That is the church's affair. But if it does, I think it's a sad reflection on the church, to elevate one kind of conventional expression of love, and deplore another, unconventional one.

Best wishes, 2RM.
    Comment>

Originally posted by 2ndRateMind View Post
      the issue is whether gay, lesbian, trans, etc, people should have an officially, socially, generally recognised faithful sexual liaison in the same way straight, heterosexual people do.
      They should have such a relationship as long as it is with a member of the opposite sex.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

It always amuses me, how Christianity, the religion about love, should get so tangled up about the sexual expression of love. I can't for the life of me understand why any harmless, adult show of love, however sexual, should be adjudged wrong or sinful, or why it should not be celebrated. There is quite enough hate in the world; let us not reserve a gratuitous, extra portion for innocent lovers.

Best wishes, 2RM.
        Last edited by 2ndRateMind; 06-17-2015, 10:21 AM.
        Comment>

Romans 1:18-25

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world,[g] in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.

24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]It seems to me that in Western liberal democracies the battle against same sex marriages is being lost and since the battle against divorce was lost a century or so ago and the battle against legalised abortion was lost fifty years or more ago there is little chance of turning back this tide. The holy scriptures without doubt condemn sex between two men or two women in as strong language as the same scriptures condemn fornication and adultery yet fornication and adultery are wide spread and many a denomination and more than a few churches have opened their doors to divorce, artificial contraception, and abortion so this battle against same sex marriage is set to be lost at least in part because those who fight it have already compromised on the matters of divorce and artificial contraception.[/SIZE][/FONT]
            Last edited by peppermint; 06-17-2015, 04:50 PM.
            Comment>

Originally posted by peppermint View Post
              [FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]It seems to me that in Western liberal democracies the battle against same sex marriages is being lost and since the battle against divorce was lost a century or so ago and the battle against legalised abortion was lost fifty years or more ago there is little change of turning back this tide. The holy scriptures without doubt condemn sex between two men or two women in as strong language as the same scriptures condemn fornication and adultery yet fornication and adultery are wide spread any many a denomination and more than a few churches have opened their doors to divorce, artificial contraception, and abortion so this battle against same sex marriage is set to be lost at least in part because those who fight it have already compromised on the matters of divorce and artificial contraception.[/SIZE][/FONT]
              It is a slippery slope. I believe the pinnacle of the slope took rise in America with post-modernism.. From then, various other counter measures from the right have taken place, namely fundamentalism, and now Theonomy.

God bless,
              William

Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

It is a slippery slope. I believe the pinnacle of the slope took rise in America with post-modernism.. From then, various other counter measures from the right have taken place, namely fundamentalism, and now Theonomy.

God bless,
                William
                [SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]Theonomy was the child of the 1980s under Greg L Bahnsen born of Presbyterianism born within the confines of a seminary in a PhD thesis but now a new child born of Pentecostalism and the New Apostolic Reformation - both of which are heretical on so many matters - has risen under that name and its proposals are likely to be ruinous to the denominations and churches that support this new form of Theonomy. [/FONT][/SIZE]
                Comment>

Yes, that video started well, but eventually failed to answer the very question it started out with. Just why is homosexuality wrong? To say 'because the Bible says so', begs the question: just why does the Bible say so? To say God made male and female suggests the observation, but God also made hetero- and homosexuals. I can't see the video actually answering the issue of why one should be acceptable, and the other not. To imply homosexuals are broken, without ever saying just why they are broken, is just another way of saying they are sinful, without ever saying why they are sinful.

The fact is, as I have said before, there is no sound and solid ethical reasoning that makes homosexuality wrong. One either accepts the scripture on this, or one doesn't. And, on the principle that one is innocent until proven guilty, we have to give homosexuals of either gender, or some mix of gender, the benefit of the doubt, and respectfully but firmly reject the relevant scripture as an important but erroneous first draft of the sexual mores that should govern our behaviour.

For me, sinfulness is in the way of being, and particularly in a selfish, loveless, godless way of being. As far as sexuality goes, we have a word for this, and it is Lust. Lust has to do with the expression of one's own sexual drive regardless of the pleasure, pain and well-being of the object of that lust. Lust is wrong because it does not care about the physical and psychological harm it causes. Both hetero- and homosexuals are prone to this mistake, but the sin is not in the same sex desire, but in the lack of love.

But both hetero- and homosexuals are capable of love, and rejoicing in it in a sexual way. And when people do this, in a mutually harmonious expression of loving desire, I think both sexualities, and their expressions, are elevated to something Godly and sacred.

Best wishes, 2RM.
                  Last edited by 2ndRateMind; 06-17-2015, 05:59 PM.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by 2ndRateMind View Post
                    It always amuses me, how Christianity, the religion about love, should get so tangled up about the sexual expression of love.
                    We are commanded to love one another but the sexual expression of love is restricted to one relationship, that of a man and a woman who are married to each other.
                    Clyde Herrin's Blog
                    Comment>

Indeed we are. Love is a wholly good, Godly thing, and in most instances, does not need or require sexual expression. When we talk about sex, we are talking the wilder shores of the sea of love. Nevertheless, such boundaries exist, and we should discuss them, and determine the extent of their legitimate nature.

Best wishes, 2RM.
                      Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]The most basic reason why sex between two human males or two human females is morally wicked is that God created humanity male and female with bodies suited for procreation and he commanded them to be fruitful and multiply in the earth and he proclaimed that a man would leave his mother and father to cleave to his wife. In none of this is provision made for male-male or female-female marriage thus the purpose of God and his command do not permit same sex marriages and later revelation in the Law of Moses and in the new testament make it clear that male with male and female with female sex is "against nature" - that is to say, against the purposes of God in the creation of humanity. That some desire to be sexually intimate with members of their own sex is a desire that can be restrained but like the sexual desires that lead to illicit sex between male and female similar desires lead some men and some women to have illicit sex male with male and female with female. The wickedness is not explicitly in the desire but in the doing. Yet the desire if it matures into something more then it is - as the Lord Jesus Christ said - a sin committed in the heart.[/SIZE][/FONT]
                        Comment>
                        Working...
                        X
                        Articles - News - SiteMap