Dos and Don'ts, all we need to know is the Bible; however, not all is covered explicitly. Discuss how Christians should act or what they should do when facing divorce, smoking, and other issues.

Weed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weed

Hey, i'm wondering what is the bibical, and what is your personal opinion about Weed? I know that the bible discusses mind altering drugs, but not weed specificaly and it has been scientifically proven that Weed isn't that bad for you at all, it actually helps recreating brain cells and stops and in some cases even heals cancer.
    I'm not trying to encourage anyone to use it, i'm just curious about it.

Hi Joel, first off, WELCOME TO CF :)

As for "Weed", I'm not sure what is and what isn't true about it medically speaking, but medical use is hardly the reason that most people use it ;) So just like getting "drunk" is a sin (Ephesians 5:18), getting "high" on weed is sinful for the same reasons. God wants us to walk with and depend upon Him as we make our ways through this life towards Glory, and He needs us to have clear minds so that we can be mentally, physically and spiritually prepared for the "battle" which is always before us. We need to be filled with the HS, not with wine or weed!

Yours and His,
    David
    p.s. - like alcohol, if someone is truly sick and in great, long-term pain, and weed can help their condition, I don't believe it's use in that case would be considered sinful.
    Last edited by David Lee; 10-31-2016, 01:22 PM.
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

From what I have read about marijuana/cannabis/hemp, it was once a very different kind of plant than what is now being sold on the street. There are many different strains of cannabis, and not all of them produce a high like the strain that is grown for that express purpose.
      For many years, it was grown as a hemp crop, and used for making ropes.
      The United States government even encouraged farmers to grow a hemp crop during the years of World War II, because the navy needed it for rope for all of the ships. The hemp that was grown for rope and other textile products was not mind-altering, or at least not enough that it was used for smoking it.
      To use cannabis as a healing herb, it is not necessary to use the kind that makes you high either.
      And it is not used by smoking it. The people who actually use cannabis as a medicine will usually grow their own, and then they use the fresh picked leaves and make them into a healthful drink called a "green smoothie".
      The fresh leave have a lot of good nutrients in them, and are a healing plant.
      So, I do believe that cannabis, as given to us by God, was intended as something that was healthy to use.
      I do not smoke it, or even grow it; but since it is supposed to be very helpful for arthritis, and many other ailments, if it were legalized to grow and be used for that reason, I would probably try some.
      As far as just having cannabis to smoke and befuddle up the mind, I do not think that this is what God intended us to do with this plant at all.
      Comment>

Originally posted by David Lee View Post
        Hi Joel, first off, WELCOME TO CF :)

As for "Weed", I'm not sure what is and what isn't true about it medically speaking, but medical use is hardly the reason that most people use it ;) So just like getting "drunk" is a sin (Ephesians 5:18), getting "high" on weed is sinful for the same reasons. God wants us to walk with and depend upon Him as we make our ways through this life towards Glory, and He needs us to have clear minds so that we can be mentally, physically and spiritually prepared for the "battle" which is always before us. We need to be filled with the HS, not with wine or weed!

Yours and His,
        David
        p.s. - like alcohol, if someone is truly sick and in great, long-term pain, and weed can help their condition, I don't believe it's use in that case would be considered sinful.
        I'm glad you added the p.s. to your post. I was just debating this issue with another Christian. If someone suffers chronic pain, and nothing else works very well (other than narcotics, which most people would rather not become dependent on), they might consider this form of treatment.

The other person felt it was wrong. My thought is that if you can take meds that are basically like heroin, why can't you take meds made from "weed." I don't see why one would be wrong if the other is not.
        Comment>

Personally, I have no desire to use weed, at least in the form that is smoked in order to get high. However, if it came down to needing to use it for the treatment of an ailment/disease then I would be all for it (cannabis oil). I also feel there are plenty of other commercial and industrial uses for the different strains of the plant that could be very beneficial. For example, back in the golden years of sailing ships were actually rigged with hemp ropes because they were much stronger and more durable than ropes made of other materials.
          Comment>

I do not have a desire to use weed either, and I greatly dislike having to smell the smoke at the beaches or at busy intersections from the car next to me.

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

Personally, I am against weed consumption. Religiously, I am also against weed. Based on my readings of scriptures, I can say God has condemned use of intoxicant. God says we must not harm ourself consuming weed and other intoxication substances is against God's will.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Dominique View Post
                Personally, I am against weed consumption. Religiously, I am also against weed. Based on my readings of scriptures, I can say God has condemned use of intoxicant. God says we must not harm ourself consuming weed and other intoxication substances is against God's will.
                So, do you also think it's wrong to take other prescription pain relievers then like narcotics? Strong pain meds can "intoxicate" you as well. So, no morphine etc. then?

Are you just speaking about recreational use or do you also mean for medicinal purposes?

I don't think there is anything wrong with taking meds for pain. I guess it's between the person who is in pain and God. Personally, I don't feel convicted over taking meds to help ease my chronic pain (edit: I don't use weed, but it's a consideration now that it's legal here for medicinal usage).
                Last edited by thisnthat; 01-10-2017, 07:27 AM.
                Comment>

I'm not in favour of weed or rather not the recreational use of it, but if it is necessary for medicinal use or pain relief that is completely acceptable to me. I don't think the Bible verse about intoxicants applies in such cases because it isn't being used for intoxication, but to allow someone to have a life and work and remove the pain.

The problem with recreational use is that unlike alcohol, the smoke spreads and it ends up shared with people who don't want to smoke it. There's also the issue of delayed reaction times etc, which apply and can cause problems while someone is driving for example. I'd also want to reduce recreational smoking as if recreational smokers ever needed to use it for pain relief, if they have built a tolerance it may not work.

However, if someone wants to do this somewhere where only like-minded individuals are around, and they aren't putting anyone else at risk that is between them and their conscience.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
                    I'm not in favour of weed or rather not the recreational use of it, but if it is necessary for medicinal use or pain relief that is completely acceptable to me. I don't think the Bible verse about intoxicants applies in such cases because it isn't being used for intoxication, but to allow someone to have a life and work and remove the pain.

The problem with recreational use is that unlike alcohol, the smoke spreads and it ends up shared with people who don't want to smoke it. There's also the issue of delayed reaction times etc, which apply and can cause problems while someone is driving for example. I'd also want to reduce recreational smoking as if recreational smokers ever needed to use it for pain relief, if they have built a tolerance it may not work.

However, if someone wants to do this somewhere where only like-minded individuals are around, and they aren't putting anyone else at risk that is between them and their conscience.
                    I agree. I don't think it's any worse than any other medicine. It's probably better for you than opiates.

You make a good point. I have heard of "contact high," There is also the issue of second hand smoke. People should definitely be considerate of others if they are going to use it.
                    Comment>

I think marijuana may help some very ill people,but having that smoke in your lungs is not for me,and it has many of the same chemicals as tobacco smoke, including ammonia,hydrogen cyanide,and formaldehyde, also some of these chemicals are known to cause cancer as well. Their is no proof that smoking weed causes lung cancer though like cigarettes, but pot smoking does lead to cough and wheezing.
                      Last edited by FolkArtist; 04-26-2017, 07:04 PM.
                      Comment>

For medicinal purposes, it doesn't have to be smoke-able "weed." There are different forms of it that can be used, when it's used as medicine.

I never did understand how opiates can be considered okay, but drugs made from "weed" are not. Marijuana grows from the earth, so do poppies. So, really, what's the difference?

I think the stigma is ridiculous. It seems like most people are just afraid that this will be abused (but then, aren't other prescription drugs as well?) If someone is in chronic pain and this will help, can you really blame them for wanting to try it and see if it does help?
                        Comment>

Personally I don't mind people using marijuana for medical purposes (either physical or psychological), however I do have a problem when people close to me begin to obviously abuse it and "can't live without it" (in their own words). There's users that say it's not an addictive substance, that it's up to the user to quit. I agree that it's up to the user, but sugar is also considered a non-addictive substance and people abuse sugar intake all the time. It's easy to fall into abusing anything you can get a hold of when life doesn't work out the way you expected. There's a reason that low-income families score higher in smoking and obesity.

Originally posted by JoelNL231 View Post
                          helps recreating brain cells and stops and in some cases even heals cancer.
                          This is not exactly accurate, as weed only helps with brain cells after trauma or a stroke. It's the other way around however when it comes to adolescents, where it's been found that regular (weekly to daily) use of weed actually inhibits learning processes, the younger the adolescent is. This is actually the reason I'm against legalising non-medical use of marijuana to underaged individuals..
                          Comment>
                          Working...
                          X
                          Articles - News - SiteMap