Dos and Don'ts, all we need to know is the Bible; however, not all is covered explicitly. Discuss how Christians should act or what they should do when facing divorce, smoking, and other issues.

Odd Article About Marriage Roles Left Me Confused

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Article About Marriage Roles Left Me Confused

I just read this, looking up more about Christian marriage and divorce,and this article came up. 7 Ways to Discipline Your Wife | Biblical Gender Roles I didn't know whether to put it on the divorce thread or start a new one so I started a new one.

It's so bad that I had my mom read through it to see if she thought it was written by a Christian. She kept on saying Sharia law through the whole article. I'm kind of horrified, is this really biblical? If it is, I'm never getting married since it's obvious divorce isn't an options, biblically. Parts of it are okay, I like the part where the most important thing you can give your wife is your time. Until the end where he says to give your wife just five hours a week to your wife or even three, that's not even an hour a day. I could never stay married to a guy who thought he could punish me like a child. The comment section got to me though, Cynthia asked about if it was done in reverse and he basically said that God doesn't tell woman to respect their husband's person but his position. I'm basically confused after reading the article, is this really how Biblical marriage works?

I really don't have time to go through the whole article, but I will agree at least on some points that they make. One is that many people have a negative view of discipline associating it mostly with some sort of physical action, when in reality it is more of a philosophical concept than anything. Discipline on the adult level really has to do with coming to an agreement on schedules, and structure within the home. In now way, shape, or form does it involve any kind of physical discipline in the way we might think when it comes to children.

There are some aspects of this article that are difficult to wrap ones head around, but much of it is found in the new testament, especially in the letters Paul wrote to various churches and other disciples.

One thing that for many people that is hard to swallow is where God calls wives to submit to their husbands. For those who think they the husband is suddenly supposed to be looked at as some sort of dictator have completely missed the point about the husband needing to take Jesus' example in being the head of the church. Jesus is not a dictator, but a servant-leader, so too should a husband/father be of the household. Humility is a huge part of this, and I challenge anyone to find a dictator who was more humble than Jesus.

I will try to expound more on this later, but this should get you started.
    Comment>

Perhaps you should read the "About Me" section on that site to find out a little more about the author. I didn't read the whole thing but I did notice two interesting things. He refuses to reveal his true identity because he is afraid of persecution and he is divorced and remarried. I seriously doubt that someone who has been divorced is a good source of information on how a husband should treat his wife.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

Something else to consider is that a couple, who are Christians, should understand what their biblical roles within a marriage are prior to even getting engaged. That way you completely avoid any kind of misunderstanding that would ultimately turn the marriage into a battleground, where the husband is trying to impose his will, and the wife is rebelling against what he is trying to do.

A couple will transition much more easily into married life if they get these understandings out of the way beforehand.
        Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
          Perhaps you should read the "About Me" section on that site to find out a little more about the author. I didn't read the whole thing but I did notice two interesting things. He refuses to reveal his true identity because he is afraid of persecution and he is divorced and remarried. I seriously doubt that someone who has been divorced is a good source of information on how a husband should treat his wife.
          And that's a major implication for a pastor because of the doubt that surrounds him. He is no longer above reproach.

God bless,
          William
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap