Dos and Don'ts, all we need to know is the Bible; however, not all is covered explicitly. Discuss how Christians should act or what they should do when facing divorce, smoking, and other issues.

7 reasons why we should pay our tithe.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 reasons why we should pay our tithe.

There are many questions going through the hearts of many Christians, and one of them is: are we supposed to pay tithe at this present dispensation? Tithing is a spiritual law of God that is recorded in the bible. The doctrine of tithing is a topic that many of us would not want to discuss. But it is one topic you are supposed to understand well enough and decide whether to obey it or not.

And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD’S. It is holy to the LORD. And concerning the tithe of the herd or of the flock, of whatsoever passes under the rod, the tenth one shall be holy to the LORD.– Leviticus 27:30, 32 (NKJV)

Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, ‘In what way have we robbed You?’ In tithes and offerings – Malachi 3:8 (NKJV)

But woe to you, Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass by justice and the love of God. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone – Luke 11:42 (NKJV)

What is tithe? Tithe is ten percent of all your increase and it belongs to the Lord. It is holy to Him (Leviticus 27:30). In the time of the scriptures, the occupation of the people was mainly farming, both of crops and animals. As a result, the tithe was described based on seeds and livestock. However, the principle remains the same: tithe of all your increase (Deuteronomy 14:22).

So, if you are a salary earner – ten percent of your salary; a business man; – ten percent of your profit; and a farmer – ten percent of your yield or increase in livestock. If it is changed into money, it is still acceptable (Deuteronomy 14:25)

Your tithe is either ten percent of all your increase or it is not tithe at all. Anything less than ten percent is an offering.

Origin of tithing:

The first place that tithe was mentioned in the bible was in Genesis 14:18-20, where Abraham gave Melchizedek king of Salem a tithe of all, after his return from the defeat of Chedorlaomer and the kings who were with him. However, this spiritual law was made clearer under the laws of Moses (Leviticus 27:30-32). And more lights were shed on it in Malachi 3:8-12.

The Old Testament truly has most of the scriptures on the spiritual law of tithing but the New Testament also has some scriptures that back it up. As a matter of fact Jesus Christ approved of it in Luke 11:42 when He was rebuking the Pharisees. He said to them that they should have attended to justice and the love of God without leaving tithing undone......CONTINUE READING
    Link

Well I would be very curious to see how many people out there are giving ten percent of their earnings to the church. My guess is not that many, if any at all, and so I just hope that nobody is out there judging others who are not giving to the church. Ever since I was a little kid I have always had a weird feeling about the tithe and the offering plate being passed around, and I am not sure what it is exactly, but it is still there today. I give, of course, and I have no issues with helping the church out in any way, but I cannot help but notice those feelings when I get them. Oh well, this is probably what I like to classify as a "me problem" so I will deal with that. Interesting stuff, though, and thanks for sharing.
    Comment>

I started tithing again with my last paycheck, and this is a realization that hit me: when we give that first expenditure to God, it helps us re-prioritize the rest of our budget. I have struggled with giving in the past because I would take care of bills, go to a few social gatherings, take care of groceries and the like, and then be left with far less than the ten percent I initially wanted to give. So I just would not.

I think it is an active way to challenge our faith as well. I currently have $30 to my name and as much as I want to say I wish I still had that chunk of change that went to my church, I know that is not what put me here. It was my spending in other areas and lack of responsibility that did.

So, I am trying very hard to trust that everything is going to be ok, that I will make it to my next paycheck without being in true need of everything, and that I WILL give again.
      Comment>

To add to this topic, I know people that are not active in a church but give to Christian charities instead. What are your thoughts on this? Should a tithe go to an actual church building, or does donating to a good cause "count"?
        Comment>

Tithing in the OT was to support the Levites who had no land allocation. It is not required for Christians

The best advice on giving is by Paul in 1Cor16 and 2Cor 9

1Cor 16
          1Now in regard to the collection for the holy ones, you also should do as I ordered the churches of Galatia.
          2On the first day of the week each of you should set aside and save whatever one can afford, so that collections will not be going on when I come.
          3And when I arrive, I shall send those whom you have approved with letters of recommendation to take your gracious gift to Jerusalem.

2Cor 9
          5So I thought it necessary to encourage the brothers to go on ahead to you and arrange in advance for your promised gift, so that in this way it might be ready as a bountiful gift and not as an exaction.
          6Consider this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
          7Each must do as already determined, without sadness or compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Note it’s about giving feely and according what one can afford - not tithing.
          Comment>

I also like the story about the lady who gave one coin and that meaning more because it was all she had.

I actually was not aware of the verses you just shared in Corinthians. It definitely paints it in a different light for me. I find that really encouraging and I think it will make giving with a cheerful spirit much easier instead of doing it with the sense of obligation I was approaching it with before. Thank you for sharing.
            Comment>

Originally posted by whysewserious View Post
              I also like the story about the lady who gave one coin and that meaning more because it was all she had.
              Here is a different interpretation of that story.

Blog Post - Does Christ Want Us to Give Everything?
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post

Wow.
                Comment>

Originally posted by rz3300 View Post
                  Well I would be very curious to see how many people out there are giving ten percent of their earnings to the church. My guess is not that many, if any at all, and so I just hope that nobody is out there judging others who are not giving to the church. Ever since I was a little kid I have always had a weird feeling about the tithe and the offering plate being passed around, and I am not sure what it is exactly, but it is still there today. I give, of course, and I have no issues with helping the church out in any way, but I cannot help but notice those feelings when I get them. Oh well, this is probably what I like to classify as a "me problem" so I will deal with that. Interesting stuff, though, and thanks for sharing.
                  We endeavor to tithe 10% of our gross income. This goes under the philosophy of what we want God to bless. Do we want him to bless our net or our gross, we choose gross.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post

We endeavor to tithe 10% of our gross income. This goes under the philosophy of what we want God to bless. Do we want him to bless our net or our gross, we choose gross.
                    I don't think that tithing should go under the philosophy of what we want God to bless. To me, this means you are tithing in order to get a blessing from God. In my opinion the purpose of tithing is not to be blessed, but rather to support the spreading of the Word. While I would love to be a missionary and devote my life to travelling the world and talking with people about God, that is not practical for me (for several reasons). Instead, I donate (tithe) money to help ensure that others can do what I cannot. Tithing has always been difficult for me in the traditional sense because I do not like handing money over to the church. This is mainly due to personal reasons, like seeing churches I had been attending for years suddenly start to head in a direction that I dis-agreed with. I also feel that tithing is not an obligation, nor does it necessarily have to be monetary based. Someone who donates their time or abilities to a Christian cause is still tithing from my viewpoint. Time or money amounts to the same thing to me. We want God to bless us in everything that we do, I don't think God will bless your net or gross income based on how you choose to tithe, but will bless you based on whether you hand over your time/money with an open heart towards God or in expectation of some form of compensation (blessing) from God.
                    Comment>

I didn't realize that there was a difference between tithing and an offering. I don't tend to give my whole ten percent all at once but when I get paid as I get paid. So, am I offering my way to ten percent? Is that not longer considered tithing if you don't do it all at once?
                      Comment>

I think we need to differentiate between the Old Testament practice of Tithing and that of Almsgiving. The way I see it is that Tithing was (at least originally) only of produce of the land to support the Levites who had no land allocation. Almsgiving was supporting the poor, widows and orphans. Tithing was mandated under the Mosaic law; almsgiving was encouraged.

Tithing is not mandated under the New Covenant but we are encouraged, even obligated, to give. The two purposes still apply.

We give to support the Church and it's mission (e.g. 1Cor 9:11-14), and we give to help poor - money or goods (Mt 25:34-36 & Jas 2:14-16). We should give freely according to our means (see post #5). My wife and I give 10% of our (net) income to various good causes covering the above (Church and poor), but that's just the way we do it.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post

Interesting! I've read those verses so many times in the past and I've never seen it in that light.

Nevertheless, I always strive to give the 10% off my gross income until it really hurts (and sometimes it does because I'm running a business and the expenses can overrun the gross income at some point). Giving to my local church makes me feel that I'm trusting God with my finances and God has been really faithful in his promises and has taken care of my business and my family. God doesn't need my money, obviously, but how can the church survive if the members don't support it financially? Should I feel guilty if I'm unable to give the 10% off the gross on some occasions? I don't think that my God is a narrow-minded God.

Comment>

That's an interesting point actually. Is the tithe 10% of your earnings or 10% of your increase? It matters because tf a businessman with no other income makes no profit, is he exempt from the tithe? If a farmer is struck by murrain and has one head of livestock left (one cow, one chicken, etc.), should he tithe it? Does tithing have to be monetary, or can work-equivalent count (e.g. a builder who was short of cash who repaired the church building donated his skill and supplied the materials as his tithe)?

Also, for those who are not members of a church, how do you tithe? Do you donate to a local church who's views you may not agree with, give it to a Christian charity (my solution) or retain it until you can find a church or group to donate it to?
                            Comment>

The OT Law said 10% of your increase. If I owned 1000 sheep and 100 new lambs were born in the spring, I would owe God 10% of 100 lambs (10 lambs). The Tithe on the 1000 sheep would already have been paid. As a modern businessman, your tithe would be on your profit, not your revenue. Your profit is your increase. (In My Opinion)

However, I do not believe that the Tithe is required. If you are going to follow the Law, then your Tithe needs to go to the temple in Jerusalem and needs to be used to support the Levites and the widows and orphans. Is the church prepared to take over all government social functions in exchange for a tithe? Has God commanded that?
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap