Dos and Don'ts, all we need to know is the Bible; however, not all is covered explicitly. Discuss how Christians should act or what they should do when facing divorce, smoking, and other issues.

How Does Gay 'Marriage' Hurt Us? Here's How.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Does Gay 'Marriage' Hurt Us? Here's How.

Christians are often asked by gay activists why they oppose same-sex “marriage.” “How does our marriage hurt you?” they ask.

Well, I can think of one significant way it will hurt us: It will destroy religious freedom and free speech rights.

The handwriting is on the wall in Canada, which legalized same-sex “marriage” in 2005, in effect completely changing its true meaning. Since then, as Michael Coren notes in National Review Online, “there have been between 200 and 300 proceedings … against critics and opponents of same-sex marriage.” Of course he means legal proceedings.

For instance, in Saskatchewan, a homosexual man called a state marriage commissioner, wanting to “marry” his partner. The commissioner, an evangelical Christian, declined to conduct the ceremony for religious reasons. He simply referred the man to another commissioner.

But that was not enough for the gay couple. Even though they got their ceremony, they wanted to punish the Christian who had declined to conduct it. The case ended up in the courts. And the result? Those with religious objections to conducting such ceremonies now face the loss of their jobs.

Canadian churches are also under attack. Coren writes that when Fred Henry, the Roman Catholic bishop of Calgary, Alberta, sent a letter to churches explaining traditional Catholic teaching on marriage, he was “charged with a human-rights violation” and “threatened with litigation.”

Churches with theological objections to performing same-sex “wedding” ceremonies are being threatened with the loss of their tax-free status. In British Columbia, the Knights of Columbus agreed to rent its building for a wedding reception before finding out that the couple was lesbian. When they did find out, they apologized to the women and agreed to both find an alternative venue and pay the costs for printing new invitations. But that wasn’t good enough. The women prosecuted, and the Human Rights Commission ordered the Knights of Columbus to pay a fine.

Of course, the lesbians knew perfectly well what the Catholic Church teaches about marriage, but they sought out a Catholic-owned building, anyway.

As Michael Coren puts it, “it’s becoming obvious that Christian people, leaders, and organizations are being targeted, almost certainly to create legal precedents”—precedents intended to silence and punish anyone who dares to disagree with so-called gay “marriage.”

If you think this couldn’t happen here, think again. This year [2012] we’ve seen ObamaCare attack the autonomy of Catholic churches by attempting to force them, in violation of Catholic teaching, to pay for contraceptives and abortifacients for church employees. And just last week, a lesbian employee of a Catholic hospital in New York sued the hospital for denying her partner spousal health benefits.

This is what we need to tell our neighbors when they ask us, “How does gay ‘marriage’ hurt us?” It means that those hostile to our beliefs will attempt to bend us to their will to force us to not only accept gay “marriage,” but to condone it as well.
    How Does Gay 'Marriage' Hurt Us? Here's How.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog

It will not hurt free speech or religious freedom. It hasn't in America because America isn't Canada. In the United States, we have a good balance between Liberal and Conservative, while Canada is extremely Liberal and far ahead of us in Liberal policies. Our current balance keeps our constitutional rights from being infringed upon. Therefore, regardless of who someone chooses to kiss, we should not neglect their marriage. But rather welcome them into the Church, so that they may find Jesus Christ.
    Comment>

Originally posted by AGustOfWind View Post

It will not hurt free speech or religious freedom. It hasn't in America because America isn't Canada. In the United States, we have a good balance between Liberal and Conservative, while Canada is extremely Liberal and far ahead of us in Liberal policies. Our current balance keeps our constitutional rights from being infringed upon. Therefore, regardless of who someone chooses to kiss, we should not neglect their marriage. But rather welcome them into the Church, so that they may find Jesus Christ.
      If I close my eyes and cover my ears while rejecting reality for make believe I can see the world you live in!
      Comment>

So naïve. The fact is that the Bible condemns homosexuality (both Testaments). There is simply no debate about it.

Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
          So naïve. The fact is that the Bible condemns homosexuality (both Testaments). There is simply no debate about it.
          Sin, in general, not only affects an individual, but also people immediately around them, such as family, local community, and it even extends nationally. But not homosexuality, no, not that <sarcasm>. I think a reoccurring theme in the OT concerning Israel or a holy peoples is not to take upon themselves the ways of surrounding culture, except when culture finds things like homosexuality really cool. Then it is okay <sarcasm>

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
            Sin, in general, not only affects an individual, but also people immediately around them, such as family, local community, and it even extends nationally. But not homosexuality, no, not that <sarcasm>. I think a reoccurring theme in the OT concerning Israel or a holy peoples is not to take upon themselves the ways of surrounding culture, except when culture finds things like homosexuality really cool. Then it is okay <sarcasm>

God bless,
            William
            Sin is a disease and if left unchecked it will spread and contaminate the whole body (Church metaphor).

Comment>

"The wicked strut about on every side when vileness is exalted among the sons of men" ~Psalm 12:8
              Is this verse not playing itself out as if the Lord, through the pen of King David, wrote it for us, and for the very time in which we are now living?

Yours and His,
              David
              Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
              Comment>

. . .regardless of who someone chooses to kiss, we should not neglect their marriage. But rather welcome them into the Church, so that they may find Jesus Christ.
                Christianity is against same sex marriages so it does matter who someone decides to kiss. While yes I don't see why they shouldn't be welcomed to church so they can be reminded that what they are doing is wrong, the church shouldn't be forced to acknowledge a union which is clearly defined as sinful by scriptures.
                Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
                A sin is a sin. Even if it is white-washed, it still is a sin.
                Comment>

I find myself kind of torn on this issue. For the secular world, same-sex marriage needs to be accepted and those couples need to be afforded the same rights as traditional marriages. I fully believe that same-sex couples should legally be allowed to marry, just not in a church by a priest/pastor/etc. I believe the words used come down to "civil union" vs. "marriage" - civil union is fine, marriage is not since the term marriage is a religious union between two people of the opposite sex. However, that is all technicality talking. As Christian's, it looks bad on our "culture" as a whole to condemn same-sex marriage, especially when we are called to love everyone. I feel that the line needs to be drawn at the separation of church and state, which means NOT allowing same-sex marriages to be performed inside of a church or by a pastor/priest/etc. In the meantime, we need to accept them and minister to them (without condemning them since we are all sinners also), and hope that we can affect a change in their lives.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by EntropiaAddict View Post
                    As Christian's, it looks bad on our "culture" as a whole to condemn same-sex marriage, especially when we are called to love everyone.
                    To whom does it look bad, to God or to other people? By allowing same sex marriage we are encouraging people to engage in acts that are against God's laws and will result in eternal punishment. Is that love?
                    Clyde Herrin's Blog
                    Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                      To whom does it look bad, to God or to other people? By allowing same sex marriage we are encouraging people to engage in acts that are against God's laws and will result in eternal punishment. Is that love?
                      From my experience, there is a "cloud" that surrounds Christians to the secular world as being overly judgmental and condemning of other people. While same-sex marriage is obviously against God's laws, and we are called to follow God's laws and try to evangelize to others, my belief is that condemning same-sex marriage will actually be counter-productive in our society (the U.S.) to reaching this goal. Love is accepting the person and working on affecting a change in their lives (I would not condemn my children if one of them told me they were gay). Often, telling someone that they are wrong is the surest way to get them to turn a deaf ear to your arguments. Instead, I have found it more beneficial to accept them for who they are, and have discussions on who God is and what He stands for. When dealing with LGBTQ people, I tend to completely avoid the subject that God condemns these behaviors and focus on the "other" sins and God's loving nature. Over time (and with a little luck and prayer), they should feel their "heart-strings" being pulled by God to change this behavior, without me ever telling them they were wrong for feeling this way. I know I tend to be on the more progressive side of Christian beliefs. It is hard to explain exactly, but I feel that we need to accept the secular viewpoint and work at affecting change on a personal level with people rather than in national policies. By working at the national level, we are attempting to "strong-arm" people to believe the same way that we do, which tends to turn people off to religion. Hope that makes a little sense.
                      Comment>

You're kidding right? The left side and the LGBT community threw a hissy fit about a couple who didn't want to make them a wedding cake. They are already infringing on our right to refuse service for any reason, and religious beliefs are a strong one. It doesn't matter that Canada is extremely liberal, we're heading there if common sense doesn't return to our government. Christianity and homosexuality is completely incompatible.

Genesis 19 gives lengthy passage about the utter destruction of Sodom, and is were we get the word for sodomy.

Leviticus 18:22, 24: Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind, it is abomination. Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things.

Leviticus 20:13 : If a man also lie with mankind, as he leith with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

1 Kings talks about Asa and Johashaphat got rid of the sodomites from their lands during their rule.

Romans 1:26-27 : For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections; for even their woman did change the natural use into that which is against nature. And like wise the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another. Men with men working what which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

1 Corinthians 6:9 : Or know ye not that he unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not led astray. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate men, nor homosexuals.

1 Timothy 1:9-10 : knowing this, that law is not laid down for a righteous one, but for lawless and undisciplined ones, for ungodly and sinful ones, for unholy and profane ones, for slayers of fathers and slayers of mothers, for murderers, for fornicators, for homosexuals, for slave-traders, for liars, for perjurers, and if any other thing opposes sound doctrine.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
                          You're kidding right? The left side and the LGBT community threw a hissy fit about a couple who didn't want to make them a wedding cake.
                          I don't believe the Christian baker didn't want to make the homosexual couple a wedding cake. I believe they didn't want to make a homosexual wedding cake. Betcha they'd be more than happy to provide a traditional wedding cake. The bigoted or prejudice argument really is far from the truth when it comes to traditional marriage. Traditional marriage does not discriminate against anyone. Any one man with one woman may enter into marriage. Traditional marriage does not discriminate against any one man or any one woman from entering into the union. Again, homosexuals are free to enter the union between one man and one woman, but they do not want to get married, they want to redefine it.

God bless,
                          William
                          Comment>

You're kidding right? The left side and the LGBT community threw a hissy fit about a couple who didn't want to make them a wedding cake. They are already infringing on our right to refuse service for any reason, and religious beliefs are a strong one. It doesn't matter that Canada is extremely liberal, we're heading there if common sense doesn't return to our government. Christianity and homosexuality is completely incompatible.
                            I would point out that the LGBT community is infringing on our right to unlawfully discriminate, not refuse service to anyone for any reason. Not being able to refuse service to anyone has not been an option for a long time, if you doubt that, try refusing service to an African-American, Hispanic, Jewish, female, religious affiliation, etc. The right to refuse service to anyone does not apply when it comes to unlawful discrimination, which is where the issue really lies. Even if the LGBT community gets their names added to the list of: We will not discriminate based on XXXX, an individual will still be allowed to refuse service to them if they ask for something that the owner does not feel comfortable with. If the homosexual couple asks for a traditional wedding cake from a baker, that baker does not have the right to refuse because the couple is homosexual (if they can come up with some other VALID reason to refuse then they still could). However, if they want a wedding cake that shows off homosexual pride, then the baker would still have the right to refuse based on religious/moral grounds and no one could deny him that right. It is about the context and reason for the refusal, not the refusal itself... and yes you do have to justify why you are refusing service to that individual if they want to fight it.

Look at the lawsuit against Hobby Lobby and their refusal to cover contraceptives in their healthcare plan, it was an interesting case that went to the Supreme Court and a huge win for religious parties as the decision was made that Hobby Lobby was not required to provide contraceptives as part of their health insurance policy as long as they clearly stated that contraceptives would not be covered. Refusal is still authorized, just not for any reason (you have to be able to justify it).
                            Comment>

Genesis 19 gives lengthy passage about the utter destruction of Sodom, and is were we get the word for sodomy.

Leviticus 18:22, 24: Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind, it is abomination. Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things.

Leviticus 20:13 : If a man also lie with mankind, as he leith with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

1 Kings talks about Asa and Johashaphat got rid of the sodomites from their lands during their rule.

Romans 1:26-27 : For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections; for even their woman did change the natural use into that which is against nature. And like wise the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another. Men with men working what which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

1 Corinthians 6:9 : Or know ye not that he unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not led astray. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate men, nor homosexuals.

1 Timothy 1:9-10 : knowing this, that law is not laid down for a righteous one, but for lawless and undisciplined ones, for ungodly and sinful ones, for unholy and profane ones, for slayers of fathers and slayers of mothers, for murderers, for fornicators, for homosexuals, for slave-traders, for liars, for perjurers, and if any other thing opposes sound doctrine.
                              Nope, the word "homosexual" is not really found in any of those verses. It was translated as such to compensate for things that people *think* the bible said.
                              If Christianity, and Homosexuality are "completely incompatible" then, Christianity and Humanity are "completely incompatible" He came for the lame, and we are the lamest. Regardless of sexual orientation, he loves us still.

I don't believe our rights should be infringed upon because of this, however, I do not see why one would not bake a wedding cake for a homosexual couple.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap