Dos and Don'ts, all we need to know is the Bible; however, not all is covered explicitly. Discuss how Christians should act or what they should do when facing divorce, smoking, and other issues.

Because They Can't!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because They Can't!

It is true the world is flooded with heresies and antiChrists who live and speak in unGodly ways. Why? Because they cannot behave any better or live in Godly ways until they first be converted, and only God can convert them. All Christians can do is the Great Commission and preach and live the word. We have no power to convert. That is why when God converts someone, we see a tremendous change in the thinking and lifestyle of the individual. Unless we see that change, they are not converted. They can't convert themselves, and we cannot convert them. It is all up to God, according to His providence. So we read about homosexuality run amok, thieving politicians, and so forth right down to seeing our own kids as unGodly in spite of how they were raised. We can't help it, and neither can they. To believe otherwise is Arminian thinking. God giveth the increase.

Well, while I can't pretend to subscribe to your sentiments, but I think you have put your finger on something important. I too, think that faith is not a matter of volition. I think that if we believe something, it is because we think that something to be true. And if we think that thing to be true, we have no choice but to believe it. And the same sort of thing applies in respect of disbelief.

Quite how, in this enlightened, secular age, we come to persuade ourselves of the existence of God, in a reputable, reliable and respectable fashion is, I feel, a sound topic for an ongoing thread. Because without that initial faith, I believe, as you seem to, God can do little with us.

Best wishes, 2RM.
    Comment>

I don't agree that we can't help convert the unbelieving. While God is the arrow to the heart to finally convert the unbeliever, we can help by showing them the greatness of God by how we act. By our work, our humility, and love of our neighbors because of our love of God, we can show people the good news. Some people aren't Christian because they weren't exposed to it growing up and just need to be introduced. We might not be able to convert them but we can show them the way to God even if they take the journey with God alone.
      Comment>

We certainly have a role to play in the conversion of unbelievers, we have to remember it is not something that we do to bring them to Christ. It is Christ working through us to draw them closer to Him. He is the one that uses us to plant His seed, then when they are ready He sends the Holy Spirit to reveal Himself (allow the seed to germinate) to them. It is folly to think we really have anything to do with the process other than being a vessel by which He uses to further His cause.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
          We certainly have a role to play in the conversion of unbelievers, we have to remember it is not something that we do to bring them to Christ. It is Christ working through us to draw them closer to Him. He is the one that uses us to plant His seed, then when they are ready He sends the Holy Spirit to reveal Himself (allow the seed to germinate) to them. It is folly to think we really have anything to do with the process other than being a vessel by which He uses to further His cause.
          I just meant, that as Christians we have to act consciously and deliberately. God definitely uses us to draw in unbelievers but we have to chose to follow his way. I was just trying to counter the fist post that says we don't have any power to convert. We have the power to act like proper Christians and show the world the greatness of God.
          Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post

I just meant, that as Christians we have to act consciously and deliberately. God definitely uses us to draw in unbelievers but we have to chose to follow his way. I was just trying to counter the fist post that says we don't have any power to convert. We have the power to act like proper Christians and show the world the greatness of God.
            Right, we do have the power to act, but don't confuse that with the power of God working through us to draw people to Him. The ability to draw people to Him comes from Him, nowhere else.
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap