Dos and Don'ts, all we need to know is the Bible; however, not all is covered explicitly. Discuss how Christians should act or what they should do when facing divorce, smoking, and other issues.

The I Missed Church Guilt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The I Missed Church Guilt?

Well I had an unfortunate set of events happen this morning, and it made me wonder if anyone gets the little feeling of guilt when they miss a church service? It is a small guilt for me, because I know that we have forgiveness and all of that and the Lord can account for earthly matters getting in the way, and of course perhaps I can just catch another service, but still, I get that little feeling like I let him down a little bit.

It was just one of those mornings, and I have gotten pretty good at avoiding them lately and had a pretty good streak going, but I guess that was bound to happen.

So I just thought that I would ask...does anyone else get a little guilty feeling when they miss a worship service? What is the best way to get back on track?

Yup.

Although something that I always found more interesting was when I would get home from work feeling drained and exhausted, and it was all I could do to drag my self into Church for a mid-week service ... by half way through the music, I was feeling better. So one of the reasons that I feel bad about missing a service, is I know I just missed a little pick me up that I probably could have used.
    Comment>

Unless you were feeling unwell failing to to church is probably an indication that you are starting to get lukewarm. And there's but one way to fix that. You need to read the word of God daily and keep asking God to strengthen you and draw you closer to Him. That should help I believe.
      Comment>

Yes, I used to feel this to an extreme extent when I was younger. Now when I miss it, it almost always with good cause (e.g., sickness in the family, being out of the area, etc.). There are times when I am just plumb worn out tired and if I don't go I feel a twinge of guilt based upon Hebrews 10:25, but that is rare.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Nahum View Post
          being out of the area,
          This isn't necessarily a good excuse for missing church. You can't go to the church you regularly attend but isn't it possible that there is a good church where you are? It might do you good to attend a different church once in a while.
          Clyde Herrin's Blog
          Comment>

No. I was raised in a strict conservative Baptist home, and we were at church every time the door was open. It was not until I went to college that I realized not all Christians feel like they have to be in church every single time there is a service, nor does the Bible actually teach that you should be. The verse that talks about 'not forsaking the assembly' (forgive me for not knowing where it is) is often quoted in this context, and preachers have been known to use that verse to actually try to make people feel guilty. But consider the word 'forsake.' It actually means to completely abandon/give up. It does not mean to miss a service now and then. So, no, I don't feel guilty about that.
            Comment>

I feel guilty if I'm even late to service, even if it's not my fault. But I make it a habit of reading a part of the bible or some other study text about the bible. If I'm sick or miss a service, I do that and then listen to Christian radio or a youtube video to compensate for the loss of the service. My last church though would put up their service online so you could watch it from home, so the guilt kind of goes away.
              Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                This isn't necessarily a good excuse for missing church. You can't go to the church you regularly attend but isn't it possible that there is a good church where you are? It might do you good to attend a different church once in a while.
                Maybe but the denomination we are a part of is somewhat sparse in this state.* In fact, we're part of a tiny congregation that is sort of a "satellite" of a larger body a good 2½—3 hours drive away. And it is rare we travel. We're rural folks and "home bodies" at that.

* We've actually toyed with the idea of moving to the midwest because of this, but the older we get, the less likely it is.
                Comment>

I don't know that guilt is the word - if I miss a service it's more that I just feel sad because I miss my congregation - they're such a great group of people that I just feel like I've missed a chance to see everyone. I don't think that guilt is something I want to feel when it comes to missing a service. My relationship with God is one I have every day, no matter the place - and I do feel that church is important, but it's not the only aspect of being a good Christian.
                  Comment>

The church is the body of Christ, not a physical building. The true meaning of church is the ministry of reconciliation and guilt should not be associated with missing church if we understand what church means.
                    Comment>

Originally posted by Tshaka View Post
                      The church is the body of Christ, not a physical building. The true meaning of church is the ministry of reconciliation and guilt should not be associated with missing church if we understand what church means.
                      What are your thoughts or advice for those who claim they can be "part of the body of Christ" by spending time with Jesus and forsaking all fellowship with other believers?
                      Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post

What are your thoughts or advice for those who claim they can be "part of the body of Christ" by spending time with Jesus and forsaking all fellowship with other believers?
                        Fellowship is important. I have been a member of a church that was all about fellowship, and one really forfeited "meat" or doctrine when attending. I think that I found a good church now. By the way, I have experienced the guilt of not going to church last month. I missed three out of four weeks. I received notices each week from the church saying that I was missed. This is awesome, when I attended a non denominational church for six years and then stopped, not a single phone call. All my Pastor said to me a week or so ago was how he was trying to figure out how to "draw" me into church consistently. I take it that he meant by grace rather than by reprimand. Gotta love those Presbyterians!

Back to your question, usually people don't last long here that forsake fellowship. If they lack fellowship in person, why would anyone expect them to be any different here? You mentioned in another thread Arthur, that some have a fight mentality, while thinking they are receiving condemnation from others for the Lord's sake. That is really aligned with these types of individuals. Unless one is actually trying to step outside a comfort zone, first online, then in person, I observe they don't last here. It is actually easier to get along with people in person, in a church rather than in a forum atmosphere. We tend to reveal much more about our thought life here in the comfort of our own homes and behind a computer rather than inside church.

God bless,
                        William
                        Comment>

Although this pastor-friend assures me that I can pray anywhere because God is everywhere, I still feel guilty about not attending church service. This is specially so because I don't want to miss the worship part with fellow believers and the preaching which all help to increase my faith. It is so easy to backslide, really. Christians have different schools of thought about regularly attending Church, and I think it might be because of the type of Church or fellowship they're into. Conservative, old churches usually puts value on regular church attendance and the communion of believers while new ones mostly focus on building a personal relationship with Jesus.
                          Comment>

I truly believe that God is everywhere and I've never felt guilty about missing church. I have felt guilty about not praying and not expressing my gratitude every day, but as for church, when I can't make it for whatever reason, I never feel guilty at all because I can still pray wherever I am. It is easy to backslide when you miss church on a regular basis, but I always try to make sure that I don't miss two consecutive weeks of church.
                            Comment>

I would like to think that I have gotten to the point where I can think like Corts above, but something inside also agrees with bebet - where missing that social aspect is really what I miss the most. The good news is that our Church has lots of programs and services that are not at scheduled worship times, so I can catch up on that social aspect if I really need to. Thanks for all your responses.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap