Dos and Don'ts, all we need to know is the Bible; however, not all is covered explicitly. Discuss how Christians should act or what they should do when facing divorce, smoking, and other issues.

Working On Sabbath?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working On Sabbath?

I know it's a sin but it's one of the days that I can get a full eight hours of work from my second job. Does anyone else work on the Sabbath? What are your feelings about Christians who work on the Sabbath?

I think it's one of those things that people know, but don't consider it as "mandatory", since life can get pretty hard, and you can't skip on an opportunity to earn just because it is a rest day. The question, would you pull a donkey out of a pit during the Sabbath comes to mind. I think if it is a necessary thing, then you should do the right thing, and would still show your respect to the Lord on the Sabbath in your own way. But then again, it's different for everyone, and me personally, I work everyday with no breaks, because it's really difficult providing for yourself.
    Comment>

I work very long hours due to having an "in town" full time job, working the land, and side projects. However, I do not on Sunday. The Lord, in His wisdom, provided for us a day to rest and, most importantly, rest in Him.
      Comment>

The Sabatth was set aside not just as a day for resting. It was a day for worshipping God. The days when people had to worship God because the law demanded they do are gone. God seeks people who worship Him not because they are compelled to by a law. Jesus said, "those who love me will obey my commandments." You keep the law the love you have for Christ makes you do it. However since the sabbath was made for man, if you have to work on the Sabbath because necessity demands that you do, then work and earn the money you need.
        Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
          I know it's a sin but it's one of the days that I can get a full eight hours of work from my second job. Does anyone else work on the Sabbath? What are your feelings about Christians who work on the Sabbath?
          Which day of the week are you referring to?

Why is it a sin to work on that day??
          Comment>

Originally posted by Bede View Post

I have the same question. We know that God knows our heart. We as Christians should be in union with Christ as long as we can. Its not setting aside a particular period ( its good for setting aside) but if worship God in our heart, talk to him each and every moment of our life, it would be good. But at last, we should do what encourages our faith in Jesus.
            Comment>

This really has been debated ad nauseum, but I will say this: my job requires me to work every fourth weekend. There really is no way around it, for if I did not work someone else would have to. So it really comes down to the same problem. Either you are working on the sabbath, or you are causing someone else to.

Now there is a school of thought that if you take a day of rest it really doesn't matter when it is as long as it is once a week. And when you consider what a "day" was in biblical times you can think of it is as observing the sabbath from say Saturday evening from 6pm until 6pm on Sunday, then you are free to work any time outside of that.

I think the bigger part of the debate has to do with causing others to work. There are plenty of people who will go out to eat after church on Sunday because they figure it is just easier than going back home and figuring out what they should put together for a meal. The problem with this is now you are causing other people to work for you on the sabbath.

Also, depending on what denomination you belong to the sabbath could be considered Saturday or Sunday. The denomination to which I belong observes it on Sunday taking direction from when it is considered that Jesus rose from the dead (the Lord's day). Also, our denomination in order to help others not violate the sabbath have a host family schedule. This is for any guests or people who attend church but live out of town and it would be burdensome for them to go home and come back for the evening service. This is so they will not have to go find somewhere to eat, plus it gives everyone the opportunity to fellowship between services.
              Comment>

(Exodus 20:8-11) Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, bu he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord Blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

It's one of the ten Commandments and breaking it is as much a sin as misusing the name of the board, not honoring your parents, stealing ,murder, adultery, false testimony, worshipping other gods, and coveting other people's things . God had it written in stone. So we are supposed to keep the Sabbath day holy, though I'm unsure if it's still Sunday or if it's supposed to be Saturday, but I can't afford to right now. I plan on not working on the Sabbath in the future after I've at least paid off my college loans but right now I can't. So I was wondering if anyone else was having trouble also.
                Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post

(Exodus 20:8-11) Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, bu he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord Blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

It's one of the ten Commandments and breaking it is as much a sin as misusing the name of the board, not honoring your parents, stealing ,murder, adultery, false testimony, worshipping other gods, and coveting other people's things . God had it written in stone. So we are supposed to keep the Sabbath day holy, though I'm unsure if it's still Sunday or if it's supposed to be Saturday, but I can't afford to right now. I plan on not working on the Sabbath in the future after I've at least paid off my college loans but right now I can't. So I was wondering if anyone else was having trouble also.
                  The Sabbath was given to the Israelites as part of the Sinai Covenant as a sign of the Covenant, a day of rest and their day to worship God. It was never commanded for Gentiles, or even the Israelites before the Sinai Covenant. The Sabbath is Saturday. The early Christians decide to rest and worship God on Sunday, the day of the Lord’s resurrection. The vast majority still do so.

I have argued elsewhere that we are not bound by the Ten Commandments as a legal code as they were part of the Jewish Law.

There is no sin for Christians to not observe the Jewish Sabbath, or any other Jewish feast day.
                  Comment>

The Sabbath has always been Saturday. Those who go to church on Sunday say the day of rest and worship should be Sunday because Jesus resurrected on a Sunday, thereby making the day Holy but there is no mention of the Sabbath day being changed to Sunday in the bible. But that's a debate for another day. I have a question. The apostles never asked the newly converted Christians to keep the sabbath. Any explanations?
                    Comment>

The Sabbath was given to the Israelites as part of the Sinai Covenant as a sign of the Covenant, a day of rest and their day to worship God. It was never commanded for Gentiles, or even the Israelites before the Sinai Covenant. The Sabbath is Saturday. The early Christians decide to rest and worship God on Sunday, the day of the Lord’s resurrection. The vast majority still do so.

I have argued elsewhere that we are not bound by the Ten Commandments as a legal code as they were part of the Jewish Law.

There is no sin for Christians to not observe the Jewish Sabbath, or any other Jewish feast day.
                      I agree
                      Comment>

Originally posted by Smithee View Post
                        The Sabbath has always been Saturday. Those who go to church on Sunday say the day of rest and worship should be Sunday because Jesus resurrected on a Sunday, thereby making the day Holy but there is no mention of the Sabbath day being changed to Sunday in the bible. But that's a debate for another day. I have a question. The apostles never asked the newly converted Christians to keep the sabbath. Any explanations?
                        Of course it isn't mentioned in the bible, because this was instituted after the bible was written. It was established by the Catholic church after the bible was assembled into the books we have now.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post

Of course it isn't mentioned in the bible, because this was instituted after the bible was written. It was established by the Catholic church after the bible was assembled into the books we have now.
                          The books of the Bible were written by the death of the last apostle (by the end of the 1st century). The books were finally canonised at the end of the 4th century.

Sunday was celebrated very early
                          “Those who lived according to the old order of things have come to a new hope, no longer keeping the sabbath, but the Lord's Day, in which our life is blessed by him and by his death.” (Ignatius of Antioch, approx AD 110)

“We all gather on the day of the sun, for it is the first day [after the Jewish sabbath, but also the first day] when God, separating matter from darkness, made the world; and on this same day Jesus Christ our Saviour rose from the dead.” (Justin, Martyr, approx 155AD)

But even in apostolic times it seems that Christians met on Sunday:
                          “On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that contributions need not be made when I come.” (1Cor 16:2)
                          Why the first day of the week? Because that is when they all met together to worship and was thus an appropriate time to take a collection.
                          Comment>

God made a distinction between the command to keep the Sabbath and his other commands.
                            I gave them my statutes and made known to them my rules, by which, if a person does them, he shall live. Moreover, I gave them my Sabbaths, as a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD who sanctifies them. But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness. They did not walk in my statutes but rejected my rules, by which, if a person does them, he shall live; and my Sabbaths they greatly profaned.
                            (Ezekiel 20:11-13 ESV)
                            Apparently the Sabbaths were given as a special sign to Israel that they belonged to God. If so, these commands aren't binding on Christians, but we are free to obey them if we want to.
                            One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.
                            (Romans 14:5 ESV)
                            In deciding whether we will refrain from working on a certain day we should base our decision on what will bring glory to God.
                            Clyde Herrin's Blog
                            Comment>

I'm guilty of working 7 day weeks. I don't know if the commandment carries over to new testament law or not. If it does I have been breaking it for a long time.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap