Dos and Don'ts, all we need to know is the Bible; however, not all is covered explicitly. Discuss how Christians should act or what they should do when facing divorce, smoking, and other issues.

Is Healthy Eating a Basic Requirement for Christians?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Healthy Eating a Basic Requirement for Christians?

Genesis 1: 29

And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

Luke 17: 20-21

20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: 21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Revelation 22:2

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

It has often been said that the human body is a temple but it seems healthy eating has been overlooked by the majority of Christians, how has this happened considering the bible lays down plants as being beneficial to diet.

Humans and all animal life were originally vegetarians since there was no death in the original creation. After the flood God allowed us to eat meat.

Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.
    (Genesis 9:3 ESV)

We should take care of our bodies by eating a healthy diet but that doesn't require following a vegetarian diet.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Surely Genesis 9:3 takes place pre flood? The point I was making is that The Bible points towards a diet rich in natural foods. Something the vast majority of people living in developed nations just do not have. Also dietary guidelines come from governmental organizations and not theological ones. As a result of this I feel the central theme of health eating has been lost by the greater population of man and many Christians too.
      Comment>

Originally posted by PiousPete View Post
        Surely Genesis 9:3 takes place pre flood?
        No, it takes place after the flood, just after Noah and his family left the ark.
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

Interesting, that means the option still remains to return to pre flood diet plans..
          Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
            Humans and all animal life were originally vegetarians since there was no death in the original creation. After the flood God allowed us to eat meat.

Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.
            (Genesis 9:3 ESV)

We should take care of our bodies by eating a healthy diet but that doesn't require following a vegetarian diet.
            This - totally agree, can't really add anything to it.
            Comment>

If not strict diet and heavy exercising, but somehow healthiness is required.
              You have to take care of your body, God has given you. You have to take care of yourself for sure. In my opinion caring your soul and body and mental health is just as important as faith.
              Comment>

Well, God gave us our bodies, and it is our job to take care of it, as it is the temple of the soul. Remember that saying back in Elementary school? It makes sense. Taking care of your body makes you resistant to illness, and it will give you energy to enjoy God's creations. It also means you will live longer, and that is the best gift you can give to yourself.
                Comment>

Well, God gave us our bodies, and it is our job to take care of it, as it is the temple of the soul. Remember that saying back in Elementary school? It makes sense. Taking care of your body makes you resistant to illness, and it will give you energy to enjoy God's creations. It also means you will live longer, and that is the best gift you can give to yourself.
                  Comment>

I think that, no matter what religion you live your life by, you always have the need to take care of your body, and you could argue that you need to do this because of the fact that this is the body that God gave to you. I will never take my body for granted because I understand this, and it helps me to keep on track when I am trying to eat healthily and exercise. We are lucky to be given bodies that function and that do everything that we need them to, so it is therefore our need to do our bit to make sure that this continues to be the case.
                    Comment>

It's true that God gave us the greatest gift that we could have, and that's our bodies and life itself, so surely we can only repay him by looking after it?

Healthy eating and exercise not only clears the body but it helps to clear the mind aswell, and I think that's sometimes more important, and can help you keep on the right path, both physically aswell as mentally.
                      Comment>

As a Christian, I have read that our body is our temple. I believe God expects us to respect ourselves by keeping our bodies in the best possible health and care.
                        Comment>

I've read that our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit and we need to treat it respectfully. Therefore, eating healthy foods, fruits and vegetables, is necessary for us to maintain our bodies. The bible doesn't necessarily say that we should be vegetarians though. As long as we eat the bad foods in moderation, there should be no problem. We need healthy food to nourish our bodies and do what is asked of us by God, to spread his teachings. Feeding ourselves with only junk foods can pollute our physical body and our mental health. And that in itself can lead to poor physical well-being as well as incompetency in thinking.

Another important issue here is that we are the caretakers of our environment and world. And the more we eat the unhealthy and processed foods, the more we're contributing to the destruction of our planet. Of course, eating chickens and pigs might also contribute to this destruction, with the way some people handle these creatures, some kill them in harsh ways or do not even take care of them properly.

This is just my opinion on this issue though. To each their own, that's what I always say.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by Deka View Post
                            I've read that our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit and we need to treat it respectfully. Therefore, eating healthy foods, fruits and vegetables, is necessary for us to maintain our bodies. The bible doesn't necessarily say that we should be vegetarians though. As long as we eat the bad foods in moderation, there should be no problem. We need healthy food to nourish our bodies and do what is asked of us by God, to spread his teachings. Feeding ourselves with only junk foods can pollute our physical body and our mental health. And that in itself can lead to poor physical well-being as well as incompetency in thinking.

Another important issue here is that we are the caretakers of our environment and world. And the more we eat the unhealthy and processed foods, the more we're contributing to the destruction of our planet. Of course, eating chickens and pigs might also contribute to this destruction, with the way some people handle these creatures, some kill them in harsh ways or do not even take care of them properly.

This is just my opinion on this issue though. To each their own, that's what I always say.
                            Your sign off is interesting as it suggests each individual is free to eat what they want. Therefore there is no uniformity in Christian diet, a central part of any community or culture is food. How can Christians come to realistic conclusions is what I'm asking?
                            Comment>

I think it is. Eating healthy protects your "temple". It also shows a lot about yourself as a person, and your self control. I believe that God wants people to exert self control in everything they do in life, and not overly indulge in things that are of this world. That could mean overindulgence in food, activities that keep your mind off God, and any other distractions.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap