Dos and Don'ts, all we need to know is the Bible; however, not all is covered explicitly. Discuss how Christians should act or what they should do when facing divorce, smoking, and other issues.

Why Do You Think Most Chrstians Don't Obey The Laws?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do You Think Most Chrstians Don't Obey The Laws?

All the laws of God are good. Apparently though because many Christians want to be like everyone else they do things which are against the laws of God and try to justify themselves by quoting bible verses out of context.

They ignore Jesus who said, "If you love me, you'll keep my commandments."

Are people who don't keep the commandments of Jesus really Christian?

Whaat do you think?

I think you jump to a pretty big conclusion when you say "most Christians."
    I can't really directly answer this question. Who are these "most Christians" not obeying the laws of God? I'd love to hear some specific examples.
    Generally speaking, I can say that despite being saved, Christians are still "sinners" in need of grace - daily. Minute-ly maybe. Haha.

So if you want the simple answer, I'd say that we are all sinners who live in a fallen world. Salvation through Christ doesn't make us perfect.
    Comment>

I think that many people these days choose to take messages from the bible as they see fit - and thus also ignore the messages that they don't want anything to do with. It is a shame that this is the case, but true Christians will try their best to live a good and honest life, and will listen to all of the lessons that the bible gives to them. This is tremendously important, as we need to listen to the teachings we are provided with if we want to stay true to our religion.
      Comment>

Well I hate to say it, but who you look at and think is a Christian may not yet be a true Christian at all. People are born into religions and grow up in them, follow them because of the tradition of their families, or because of their social circles, or because they think it is the right thing to do (but just aren't sure why). So who you may be looking at and thinking is a big old hypocritical Christian, might only be acting Christian by appearance, but is not in heart and spirit.

But if you are observant you will see a true Christian become transformed. They might start out not obeying the laws, but you will see them slowly be transformed. It is really beautiful to witness.
        Comment>

The first thing that comes to my mind is that we are not perfect. You, me, her... We all have made mistakes, maybe it's racism or maybe it's being judgmental or maybe it's being materialistic. The bad thing is if we try to justify and rationalise our mistakes and our sins. And the worse thing? If we try and rationalise these actions through the bible or God's words. Because no matter what sins we do, there's God who is able to forgive us but only if we repent and admit our mistake. But the more we make reasons for it, the more that we make it difficult for God to forgive us.

For me, Christianity, or any religion really, is in the hearts of the people. If you have a heart that is full of lies and evilness, then you're not really a Christian despite you pronouncing that you're a religion. You cannot be a Christian and at the same time, commit sins over and over and over again without even repenting. Yes, God is a just God, but we have to know our limits. We are capable of thinking and we shouldn't rely on false interpretations of the bible to rationalise our sins.
          Comment>

Religion, just like many other things,
            is easier said than done.
            Comment>

Real Christians try their best to follow as close to the Bible and God's word as humanly possible. If you overlook the ones who are learning and don't know they are breaking the rule (not just the 10 Commandments), and basic human moments that they will pray for forgiveness later, there are the posers. These poser say they are Christian and announce it to anyone who will listen, post it on their Facebook and Twitter accounts, and decorate their house is Christian decor. But they only want the prestige that comes with being Christian, the power of the moral authority that should not be questioned because their faith is stronger than yours. These people are heretics and fakers and do not keep the word in truth because they are fake. So do not call them Christian because God will not recognized.
              Comment>

Allow me to answer this thread's question indirectly. I am a Catholic so let me speak about Catholics not obeying the laws or rules of the church. It is common to hear people of other religion say that Catholics are the stubborn lot when it comes to obeying. I agree to that and what I see is the loose control of the church over the parishioners. First is the culture of Catholics that unlike protestants who are close to each other in terms of fellowship, Catholics are individualists in the church. They only look at themselves and it is the tradition not to mind the one beside you. Besides, some priests, who are supposed to be the head of the church in the community, has low credibility and are not much respected. In short, Catholics seem to have complete freedom that they do whatever they want to do and not do whatever they don't want to do.

PS. In the recent years, the parish priest assigned to our village have the habit of telling the people during the holy mass (in the church) to say something to the person beside you. "Tell your seatmate that you are also praying for him" or something to that effect that I feel the priest is trying to create bonding among his parishioners.
                Comment>

Hmm ...beacause they are too free !:D
                  Cases where something is morally right but leagally wrong.
                  Comment>

Hi Smithee, actually, I believe most "Christians" at least intend to obey the Law, not to become saved, rather, because they already are. IOW, we choose to 'act' like Christians because we already 'are' Christians. Non-Christians, who do not "know" God and cannot understand or accept the things of the Spirit of God, cannot do so (i.e. 1 Corinthians 2:14; Matthew 7:22-23)

I'm not saying that true believers never sin, (we do, of course, daily), but if someone who "claims" to be a Christian continues leading the same kind of sinful/unrepentant lifestyle they led prior to making that claim (or they return to living like that in short order), then their claim of being a "Christian" is, in all likelihood, nothing more than that (as others have already mentioned above).

So again, while obeying the Law of God does not and cannot "save" anyone (i.e. Romans 3:28), nor can doing so keep anyone saved, obedience to God's commandments, good works, and the desire to always do that which is pleasing to God is one of the best ways we have to know whether our claim of being a "Christian" is true or not (which is something we are told that we need to make sure of .. 2 Corinthians 13:5).

Yours and His,
                    David
                    p.s. - while the Law has several important uses in the life of a believer, it has one principle use in the life of a non-believer, that of a παιδαγωγός [paidagogos], a harsh "tutor" (Galatians 3:24-25), whose purpose is to drive the non-Christian to the feet of Christ for mercy (once they finally realize that they will never be able to meet the Law's stringent demands, especially apart from Him). The ability and desire to obey and please God is the "result" of being saved, not the cause, because He has to made us into, "new creatures" in His Son first (2 Corinthians 5:17).

He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done
                    in righteousness, but according to His mercy"

Titus 3:5 (cf Ephesians 2:8-9)

Last edited by David Lee; 07-12-2016, 07:41 PM.
                    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                    Comment>

Most Christians do not obey laws because like the old adage goes 'Everyone wants a Savior but no one wants a Lord'. I always notice that today's form of Christianity is all about prosperity or what I call prosperity religion or Madison Avenue Christianity. We are under grace and not under the law, but we do have laws.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by Tshaka View Post
                        Most Christians do not obey laws because like the old adage goes 'Everyone wants a Savior but no one wants a Lord'. I always notice that today's form of Christianity is all about prosperity or what I call prosperity religion or Madison Avenue Christianity. We are under grace and not under the law, but we do have laws.
                        Hi Tshaka, the question is, are those who want the "benefits" that God has to offer us today, but don't want "Him" as well, really and truly Christians (anymore than the "disciples" of Christ were who walked away from Him in the 1st Century when they found out that following Him involved more than they'd anticipated .. John 6:66)?

I don't believe it's possible for someone to become a "Christian" if they want Jesus as their Savior, but not as their Lord as well.

Yours and His,
                        David

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                        Comment>

Originally posted by Tshaka View Post
                          We are under grace and not under the law, but we do have laws.
                          Just contributing a quote from Samuel Bolton, agree or disagree.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13094306_1069656283107266_8789818119777681381_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	18916
                          Comment>

I agree :)

The "Law" is our paidagogos (our harsh "tutor" .. Galatians 3:24-25) that drives us to the feet of Christ to find mercy (once we finally realize that what the Law requires of us is more than we can handle). Once we become Christians however, it's the Law that teaches us what it means to be "holy" and "righteous" and, generally speaking, what we need to do to be pleasing in God's sight. That's why I was such an odd bird as a babe in Christ and LOVED the Book of Leviticus :rolleyes:

Yours and His,
                            David
                            "How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it
                            according Thy word. Thy word I have treasured in
                            my heart, that I may not sin against Thee"

Psalm 119:9,11

Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post
                              I agree :)

The "Law" is our paidagogos (our harsh "tutor" .. Galatians 3:24-25) that drives us to the feet of Christ to find mercy (once we finally realize that what the Law requires of us is more than we can handle). Once we become Christians however, it's the Law that teaches us what it means to be "holy" and "righteous" and, generally speaking, what we need to do to be pleasing in God's sight. That's why I was such an odd bird as a babe in Christ and LOVED the Book of Leviticus :rolleyes:

Yours and His,
                              David
                              "How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it
                              according Thy word.Thy word I have treasured in
                              my heart that I may not sin against Thee"

Psalm 119:9,11

:) Lemme add too!

Ezekiel 36:25-27
                              • 25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you.
                              • 26 And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
                              • 27 And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules.[a]

Soli Deo Gloria! Click image for larger version

Name:	clap.gif
Views:	5
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	18921

God bless,
                              William
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap