Join with others to discuss God and/or the Biblical Doctrine of the Trinity (Godhead). Discuss the attributes and characteristics of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Is God male?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is God male?

How can GOD be male when all life starts as female?

How can all creation begin as female? How did the first female ever come into existence? What is first, the chicken or the egg? Eve is the mother of all living, Phil. But what about God?

We must we refer to God via masculine terms. It is not a question of how we would personally like to refer to God, but rather what God tells us to do.
    1. God is referred to hundreds of times with masculine names and with masculine pronouns such as “he,” “him,” and “his.”
    2. God is never given a feminine name, or referred to with feminine pronouns such as “she,” her,” and “hers.”

God is an eternal Spirit (Deuteronomy 33:27, Psalm 102:27; John 4:24; 1 Timothy 1:17; Revelation 1: 8) and, as Jesus pointed out, “a spirit hath not flesh and bones” (Luke 24:39). In 1 Samuel 15:29, God Himself announced: “The Strength of Israel...is not a man.” Moses wrote in Numbers 23:19: “God is not a man...neither the son of man.” Hosea repeated that affirmation: “I am God, and not man” (11:9).

Time and again the Scriptures address the fact that, as a Spirit, God is invisible. John commented that “no man hath seen God at any time” (John 1:18). Paul spoke of “God...whom no man hath seen, nor can see” (1 Timothy 6:13,16) and of Christ as “the image of the invisible God” (Colossians 1:15). He reminded the young evangelist Timothy that to the “immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever” (1 Timothy 1:17).Spirits—because they are non-corporeal beings—have no physical body, and thus, by definition, are incapable of possessing gender.

In speaking of the humans who one day will inhabit the heavenly realm, Jesus remarked that they “neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are as angels” (Matthew 22:30). His point was that we shall not take up our earthly gender roles in heaven, just as the angels, as spirit beings, have played no gender roles throughout their existence. Similarly, God, as a Spirit Being Who inhabits the heavenly realm, has no gender.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

How do you know this?
      When no one has seen GOD?
      If GOD is indeed a 'man' where do 'his' parents live?
      Comment>

Originally posted by phil boyce-bottoms View Post
        How do you know this?
        When no one has seen GOD?
        If GOD is indeed a 'man' where do 'his' parents live?
        Sorry,
        Didn't mean that to sound agresive.
        It's just that you only know this through a book, written by MEN,
        If the bible was written by WOMEN would GOD be female?
        Comment>

I believe you have not understood William's point.

First, William clearly cites scriptures to show that God is not a "man" but a spirit. For example : “I am God, and not man.” (Hosea 11:9). So it is very clear that William is not saying that God is a "man."

Second, therefore your question, "If GOD is indeed a 'man' where do 'his' parents live?", is moot.

Third, there is a difference between being male and being a man. Horses are either male or female but a horse is not a "man."

Fourth, and most importantly, Williams rests his case upon the Scriptures. God in the Bible has chosen to reveal Himself in the masculine gender for whatever reason there might be.

Now if you were ask me is God male or female I would say neither. Nevertheless in the Bible God's never uses feminine pronouns of Himself nor do to the authors of the Bible use feminine pronouns to refer to God.
          Last edited by Origen; 06-28-2017, 10:16 AM.
          Comment>

It's just that you only know this through a book, written by MEN,
            If the bible was written by WOMEN would GOD be female?
            It depends. Your questions assumes that if the Bible was written by women it would have/might have been different (at least in regard to gender). But where is the evidence for that? If the authors of the Bible were women, and God chose to reveal Himself in the masculine gender to them, I see no reason why they would change the gender.
            Last edited by Origen; 11-11-2015, 03:28 PM.
            Comment>

I've never ever believed that GOD is male,
              Just the thought of GOD being male makes me feel physically sick.
              I just can't understand how GOD is a man,
              How can one man create every thing you can see all around you.

The word GOD as you should know is a plural, meaning more then one.

As it says in the bible;
              "WE will make man in OUR image".
              Comment>

So........
                Someone some where has been lying about our origin,
                In the bible it states,
                That GOD made man ADAM,
                then created woman EVE,
                from Adams rib.
                Yet,
                In real life,
                All life in its first 5 to 6 weeks starts out as female.

WHO'S TELLING THE TRUTH?!

this is why religion makes me ill.

Not that I'm blaming anyone on this forum,
                It's not your fault,
                I like it that you've got a different opinion from me,
                How else am I going to learn?
                Comment>

I've never ever believed that GOD is male,
                  Just the thought of GOD being male makes me feel physically sick.
                  I just can't understand how GOD is a man,
                  How can one man create every thing you can see all around you.
                  I thought I covered that above. I am not saying God is a man, William is not saying God is a man, and the scriptures plainly states that God is not a man.

The word GOD as you should know is a plural, meaning more then one.
                  The Hebrew word elohim is morphological plural. Nevertheless that does not make it a plural. That is a common mistake made by those who do not know Hebrew by trying to force English rules of grammar upon the Hebrew text. The word elohim takes singular verbs, pronouns, and adjectives, not plurals. In Hebrew, verbs, pronouns, and adjectives have to match in gender and number. That means that the noun elohim, while morphologically plural, ought to taken and understood as a singular noun. If the authors of the O.T. really believed the noun elohim refers to more than one god, then they would have made the grammar fit.

Also, while the Hebrew noun elohim is morphological plural, the word for God (I.e. theos) in the LXX and the N.T. is singular. Not once is it translated as a plural noun when it refers to the God of the O.T. and N.T. Thus the translators of the LXX and the authors of the N.T. understood it was morphological plural, but knew it was not meant to be taken as a plural because Hebrew grammar would not allow it (however they do when it is not the God of Israel). The authors of the N.T., when citing an O.T. verse, never use the plural but always the singular form.

As it says in the bible;
                  "WE will make man in OUR image".
                  There are a number of reasons for the pronouns in that clause. However none of them have to do with elohim being translated as a singular. That has to do with Hebrew grammar.
                  Last edited by Origen; 06-28-2017, 05:44 PM.
                  Comment>

So........
                    Someone some where has been lying about our origin,
                    In the bible it states,
                    That GOD made man ADAM,
                    then created woman EVE,
                    from Adams rib.
                    Yet,
                    In real life,
                    All life in its first 5 to 6 weeks starts out as female.

WHO'S TELLING THE TRUTH?!
                    Not really. You have merely made an assumption. God created Adam and Eve male and female, fully formed mature human beings (an act of special creation, not by means of any kind of biological act). Then they mated and had children through the normal biological processes God had setup.
                    Last edited by Origen; 11-13-2015, 06:57 PM.
                    Comment>

All life does not start out female.

All human life starts out either male or female, according to chromosomes of a newly conceived child. Sexual maturity, either male or female, is not achieved until puberty.
                      Comment>

null
                        Comment>

So,
                          Please explain the above image.
                          Comment>

I still can't believe that GOD is singular, or a man.

Makes my head go funny.

The problem I have is this;
                            Everything we have learned through out our lives,
                            Is second hand,
                            Everything we know has been written by others,
                            Wether its;
                            Education,
                            History,
                            Science,
                            Religion.

How do you know any of it is true?

What if all of what been written is a lie?
                            Just because it's taught in school's,
                            Or where ever,
                            Doesn't mean it's true.
                            Comment>

So,
                              Please explain the above image.
                              I already have above. I stated: "God created Adam and Eve male and female, fully formed mature human beings (an act of special creation, not by means of any kind of biological act). Then they mated and had children through the normal biological processes God had setup." I failed to see why God could not have created human beings first, then allowed the normal biological processes to proceed from there on.

Moreover, the first pic you offered states: "The Y chromosome-which is only present in males-is not activated in the first 5-6 weeks of embryonic development." The fact is the Y chromosome is present from the start in the zygote even though it has not activated (in those who are male). That means genetically the zygote is either male or female from the moment of fertilization. The fact that all the parts are not in place is irrelevant. For example, a zygote does not have arms, legs, a heart, or a brain, yet genetically it is human. Also, up until the 5-6 weeks a baby's internal and external genital structures are the same. The female like the males sexual organs have not started to develop.
                              Last edited by Origen; 04-11-2017, 04:32 PM.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap