Join with others to discuss God and/or the Biblical Doctrine of the Trinity (Godhead). Discuss the attributes and characteristics of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

The name of God

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CDF47 View Post

Jesus possibly
    The Word before He was manifested as Jesus
    Comment>

Originally posted by 2404 View Post

The Word before He was manifested as Jesus
      Agreed
      Comment>

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        I think it is interesting that the Bible teaches that no man has seen the Father (John 6:46) and yet they saw the God of Israel (Exodus 24:10).
        Since they saw the God Israel and it wasn't the Father then who did they see? (Unitarians and Oneness Pentecostals take note).
        Isaiah 22:1-2 NASB
        1 Thus says the LORD,
        “Heaven is My throne and the earth is My footstool.
        Where then is a house you could build for Me?
        And where is a place that [fn]I may rest?
        2 “For My hand made all these things,
        Thus all these things came into being,” declares the LORD.
        “But to this one I will look,
        To him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at My word
        At the risk of letting my Platonic philosophical roots show ... the concept that ALL of an infinite LORD could be both present and perceived by finite men atop Mount Sinai, fails to comprehend the true definition of GOD.
        The LORD himself explained it ...
        Exodus 33:17-23 NASB
        17 The LORD said to Moses, “I will also do this thing of which you have spoken; for you have found favor in My sight and I have known you by name.” 18 Then Moses said, “I pray You, show me Your glory!” 19 And He said, “I Myself will make all My goodness pass before you, and will proclaim the name of the LORD before you; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show compassion on whom I will show compassion.” 20 But He said, “You cannot see My face, for no man can see Me and live!” 21 Then the LORD said, “Behold, there is a place by Me, and you shall stand there on the rock; 22 and it will come about, while My glory is passing by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock and cover you with My hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will take My hand away and you shall see My back, but My face shall not be seen.”

It seems clear that, cutting through all of the anthropomorphism of a God who is Spirit, that only a portion of the totality that is LORD was visible to Moses. It is not a great stretch to assume that only a portion of the totality that is LORD was audible as well.

So when we come to ...
        John 5:37-38 NASB
        37 And the Father who sent Me, He has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time nor seen His form. 38 You do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent.

we can be speaking about these particular people. And when we come to ...
        John 6:46 NASB Not that anyone has seen the Father, except the One who is from God; He has seen the Father.

Jesus can be speaking of the totality of the LORD and himself as the only 'man' who has seen the Father.

My 2 cents to a $2 discussion.
        Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
          Isaiah 22:1-2 NASB
          1 Thus says the LORD,
          “Heaven is My throne and the earth is My footstool.
          Where then is a house you could build for Me?
          And where is a place that [fn]I may rest?
          2 “For My hand made all these things,
          Thus all these things came into being,” declares the LORD.
          “But to this one I will look,
          To him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at My word
          At the risk of letting my Platonic philosophical roots show ... the concept that ALL of an infinite LORD could be both present and perceived by finite men atop Mount Sinai, fails to comprehend the true definition of GOD.
          The LORD himself explained it ...
          Exodus 33:17-23 NASB
          17 The LORD said to Moses, “I will also do this thing of which you have spoken; for you have found favor in My sight and I have known you by name.” 18 Then Moses said, “I pray You, show me Your glory!” 19 And He said, “I Myself will make all My goodness pass before you, and will proclaim the name of the LORD before you; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show compassion on whom I will show compassion.” 20 But He said, “You cannot see My face, for no man can see Me and live!” 21 Then the LORD said, “Behold, there is a place by Me, and you shall stand there on the rock; 22 and it will come about, while My glory is passing by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock and cover you with My hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will take My hand away and you shall see My back, but My face shall not be seen.”

It seems clear that, cutting through all of the anthropomorphism of a God who is Spirit, that only a portion of the totality that is LORD was visible to Moses. It is not a great stretch to assume that only a portion of the totality that is LORD was audible as well.

So when we come to ...
          John 5:37-38 NASB
          37 And the Father who sent Me, He has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time nor seen His form. 38 You do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent.

we can be speaking about these particular people. And when we come to ...
          John 6:46 NASB Not that anyone has seen the Father, except the One who is from God; He has seen the Father.

Jesus can be speaking of the totality of the LORD and himself as the only 'man' who has seen the Father.

My 2 cents to a $2 discussion.
          Very well put. In some sense human beings cannot fully look upon the divine glory, the divine presence. Yet the text of Ex 33:11 also makes it clear that in some sense "The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend."
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap