Join with others to discuss God and/or the Biblical Doctrine of the Trinity (Godhead). Discuss the attributes and characteristics of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Have you ever doubted God's existence?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever doubted God's existence?

I Know this is a Bit of an odd yet Not very strange question.
    but i remember a time when Life was so Hard on me to a point i doubted God was still in control. but what really ticks me off is when Bad things happens to good people while great things continually happen to evil people. for example, i have Seen politicians take advantage of poor innocent citizens over ănd over again. Sometimes to an extent of hiring gangs to kill people so they Stay in Power yet they are never brought to justice. they steal enormous amounts of money from taxpayers through corrupt deals ănd yet live as if nothing happened.
    those are the times i ask; where thy At my Lord?
    Do you Ever feel the Same?

I have never doubted the existence of God, I got firm teachings about God right from a very tender age as the maker of the universe. I have argued with a few persons who chose to question the existence of God. They think that the world existed by chance, we have had heated argument on this matter and I made them understand the world have a maker and a controller just like every country have their respective government that controls their affairs. The maker of the world is a supernatural being popularly called God.
    Comment>

I have never doubted the existence of God but there have been times when I wondered if he really cared about me. Of course those doubts were only temporary and while I still wonder why he does some of the things he does I am certain that all he does will have a good result in the end.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

There was never a time that I doubted God's existence. I grew up having relatives from different churches but they all believe in God. My family were deeply religious people who prayed together everyday. I know that trials are inevitable in life, but with God on my side, I know that I will always overcome. In fact, I can feel God's presence even more when I'm going through rough patches.. I pity the atheists who have opted to reject God and have chosen, instead, to rely on their own 'intelligence'. They have nothing to look forward to in life here and beyond. I thank God that he gave me parents who instilled the love and fear of God in us early on.
        Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
          I have never doubted the existence of God but there have been times when I wondered if he really cared about me. Of course those doubts were only temporary and while I still wonder why he does some of the things he does I am certain that all he does will have a good result in the end.
          True, most of these doubts are temporary. I think it's because we are humans and the things of God are sometimes too hard to hard to comprehend.
          I have to agree though, we are sometimes expecting God to do things in our way.
          Comment>

On my teens I doubted my faith because I saw wars,famine and other chaos in this world. Seeing evil people succeeding and seeing good people suffering made me doubt my self. That is really a very dark chapter in my life.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
              Seeing evil people succeeding and seeing good people suffering made me doubt my self.
              There was only one person that was ever "good", and He voluntarily suffered and died for the sins of others.

When you see evil people succeeding, ask yourself what are they succeeding at? Worldly treasures?

God bless,
              William
              Comment>

You don't have to doubt God's existence to have doubts, see Psalm 22, spoken by someone with good reason for faith Our church takes the view that doubt is a natural part of faith, because your faith being tested and surviving doubt makes it stronger.

Originally posted by William View Post
                When you see evil people succeeding, ask yourself what are they succeeding at? Worldly treasures?
                Sadly, often at destroying Christians and good people (good people being those that strive to follow the principles) for their own benefit. I do sometimes wonder why God lets them do this without apparent penalty, as it seems to be the main thing that people bring up as a reason why they are not Christian, and why so many people turn a blind eye to other's suffering.
                Comment>

"Have you ever doubted God's existence?"
                  I guess I am going to be an odd man out on this question. Not really, for most of my childhood I grew up certain that 'god' (small 'g') was every bit as real as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny (the two other 'invisible unicorns' of the Christmas and Easter season.) So I started out fairly certain that god did not exist.

Now, any thinking man worth his salt will at least entertain the possibility that he might be wrong in his initial assumptions and final conclusions.

Pascal's Wager [If I believe god exists and I am wrong, I lose little; If I believe god does not exist and I am wrong, I lose much.]

So I gave some thought to the possibility that I might be wrong and god might exist. I saw the same sort of evil that you did. I concluded that in the remote chance that an all-powerful, all-knowing being existed and chose to do nothing about such evil, he/she/it was not deserving of worship, but hatred. If I died and faced a judgement seat of God, I would have agreed that I belonged in hell ... with all of the other beings who hated the indifferent creator as much as I did. For me, it was far easier to believe that god was a myth than to accept that god was innately sadistic ... creating beings to suffer, able to do something about it, and refusing to lift a finger.

Then I met Him and could no longer deny his existence. That forced some hard decisions and a radical realignment of my thoughts and understanding of the world. After Damascus, one can never again doubt his existence. He and I have had some rather intense conversations a time or two. I have felt abandoned and been on the brink of telling him 'I quit' ... but the Holy Spirit would not allow it. I have prayed prayers that I now blush over ... "Lord, I know you CAN do anything, but sometimes I wonder if you really give-a-s**t!"

I have found God to generally be more accepting of emotional honesty than anything else. He already knew what was in my heart, so by getting it out He can deal with it. ... And he has.

Scripture offers some comforting hints about the questions raised. How long will the bad guys continue to win and the good continue to suffer?

Rev 6:9-11 [NIV] When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. They called out in a loud voice, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?” Then each of them was given a white robe, and they were told to wait a little longer, until the full number of their fellow servants, their brothers and sisters, were killed just as they had been.

Rev 14:9-20 [NIV]
                  A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: “If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives its mark on their forehead or on their hand, they, too, will drink the wine of God’s fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment will rise for ever and ever. There will be no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and its image, or for anyone who receives the mark of its name.” This calls for patient endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commands and remain faithful to Jesus.

Then I heard a voice from heaven say, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.”

“Yes,” says the Spirit, “they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them.”

I looked, and there before me was a white cloud, and seated on the cloud was one like a son of man with a crown of gold on his head and a sharp sickle in his hand. Then another angel came out of the temple and called in a loud voice to him who was sitting on the cloud, “Take your sickle and reap, because the time to reap has come, for the harvest of the earth is ripe.” So he who was seated on the cloud swung his sickle over the earth, and the earth was harvested.

Another angel came out of the temple in heaven, and he too had a sharp sickle. Still another angel, who had charge of the fire, came from the altar and called in a loud voice to him who had the sharp sickle, “Take your sharp sickle and gather the clusters of grapes from the earth’s vine, because its grapes are ripe.” The angel swung his sickle on the earth, gathered its grapes and threw them into the great winepress of God’s wrath. They were trampled in the winepress outside the city, and blood flowed out of the press, rising as high as the horses’ bridles for a distance of 1,600 stadia [180 miles or 300 km].

That sounds to me like a LOT of stored up 'wrath' that God intends to unleash in one 'Mother of all Whoop-A**'. Go Jesus! Go Jesus! Yeah, Go Jesus! :)
                  Comment>

O have firm belief in existence of God. If anyone has doubt about this then there is the only reason and that is hopelessness. Poverty and hopelessness leads to denying the existence of God. So we should never leave the hope as it could be a test from God to check our beliefs. Every dark night brings a bright morning. God never leaves his creature alone in sad moments. He is always with us. Only thing we need to do is to follow his orders and being humble to the human being. Thanks.
                    Comment>

Some people passing through extreme hard times have question the existence of God, they are like why all the sufferings if God is there. What I understand some of the things we pass through in life are to prepare us for that better person we are meant to be. God will not allow the sufferings and trials to consume us so long we keep having faith in Him. In the case of Job it was really terrible with him and even his wife discouraged him. He kept on trusting God and eventually God showed up.
                      Comment>

It doesnt happen very often but i usually doubt his existence when i'm either desperate, or just in a low point of my life that it's really hard to think rationally and assess the situation.
                        Comment>

I know others here might have a vastly different opinion than mine, but I feel that if you ever find yourself in a situation or crisis in your life which ends up making you doubt if God even exits at all, then the issue is that you never really did take the time to align yourself with what you knew even before you came to this world. The answer is to raise your awareness of the power that resides in all of us and realize that you wouldn't be in that situation if you didn't know how to deal with it and learn from it.

There is always something positive to be learned from even the very worst situations, but sometimes it takes quite a bit of digging in order to get to the answer, and usually when you're already knee deep in that bad situation it's even harder to try and focus positively than it is to do before the situation is upon you.
                          Comment>

It is all about your personal experience. I have seen many people who are dishearted from their lives they don't believe that God does exist.I have a firm belief in the God. I can feel him whenever he fulfils my prayer and when does not then I can understand that this wish was not good for me.
                            Comment>

God truly exist thru my heart. If you know how to love not only for yourself, not only for your family but also for others, then God truly exist not only in your life but also in your heart.
                              Love is kind, pure and merciful. If you know how to forgive and forget then you can feel God's existence in your heart. For i do believe that God is love and love is God!
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap