Join with others to discuss God and/or the Biblical Doctrine of the Trinity (Godhead). Discuss the attributes and characteristics of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Does God have a mother?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does God have a mother?

I've been curious to know whether God has a mother or not. I know that Mary is the mother of Jesus Christ whom God chosen to be and isn't it Jesus is also the Lord in human's form? Therefore, I would like to know if God himself has a mother. I admit that I don't read the Bible and there are only selected verse and books that I've read and I don't think that there's an explanation in the Bible regarding this. I'm just curious though and I want to clarify that I'm not saying that I'm sure about this. Just to be clear. Thanks!

Originally posted by Jasmin Cottontail View Post
    I've been curious to know whether God has a mother or not. I know that Mary is the mother of Jesus Christ whom God chosen to be and isn't it Jesus is also the Lord in human's form? Therefore, I would like to know if God himself has a mother. I admit that I don't read the Bible and there are only selected verse and books that I've read and I don't think that there's an explanation in the Bible regarding this. I'm just curious though and I want to clarify that I'm not saying that I'm sure about this. Just to be clear. Thanks!
    No. God is an eternal, beginning less, uncaused, immaterial, necessarily existing being.
    Comment>

God is the uncaused first cause: He who causes to become.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

The Council of Ephesus (431) defined that Mary was Theotokos (strictly translated as God bearer). The Orthodox still use Theotokos as a title for Mary. Catholics have translated this as Mother of God.

The early centuries of Christianity were marked by controversies over the nature of Jesus Christ. Was he God? Was he man? Was he born human and became God?
        The definition of Mary as Theotokos (literally “God bearer”) at the Council of Ephesus in 431 was made in response to a fifth century heresy called Nestorianism which claimed that Mary did not carry God but only carried Christ’s human nature in her womb. She should therefore be termed Christotokos (Christ bearer).

Nestorians claimed that Mary did not give birth to a unified person but tried to separate Jesus’ human nature from his divine nature, creating two separate persons, one human and one divine in a loose affiliation.

But a woman carries a person in her womb, not just a human nature. Mary carried, and gave birth to, the person of Jesus Christ, and that person was God, the second person of the Trinity.

This does not mean Mary is older than God, or that she is the source of her Son’s divinity. God has no mother in eternity. But she is the Mother of God in that she carried in her womb, and gave birth to, a divine person – Jesus Christ, God “in the flesh”. She is His mother in His incarnation.

The definition of Ephesus was not to glorify Mary, as some think, but to affirm that Jesus’ two natures – divine and human were united in one divine person.

The logic is:
        Jesus is God
        Mary is the mother of Jesus
        Therefore Mary is the mother of God

If we do not accept that what Jesus did and experienced in his humanity was experienced by God (the Son) then we cannot say that God died on the cross and we are not redeemed; we cannot say that God shed his blood for us and our sins are not forgiven.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Bede View Post
          The Council of Ephesus (431) defined that Mary was Theotokos (strictly translated as God bearer). The Orthodox still use Theotokos as a title for Mary. Catholics have translated this as Mother of God.

The early centuries of Christianity were marked by controversies over the nature of Jesus Christ. Was he God? Was he man? Was he born human and became God?
          The definition of Mary as Theotokos (literally “God bearer”) at the Council of Ephesus in 431 was made in response to a fifth century heresy called Nestorianism which claimed that Mary did not carry God but only carried Christ’s human nature in her womb. She should therefore be termed Christotokos (Christ bearer).

Nestorians claimed that Mary did not give birth to a unified person but tried to separate Jesus’ human nature from his divine nature, creating two separate persons, one human and one divine in a loose affiliation.

But a woman carries a person in her womb, not just a human nature. Mary carried, and gave birth to, the person of Jesus Christ, and that person was God, the second person of the Trinity.

This does not mean Mary is older than God, or that she is the source of her Son’s divinity. God has no mother in eternity. But she is the Mother of God in that she carried in her womb, and gave birth to, a divine person – Jesus Christ, God “in the flesh”. She is His mother in His incarnation.

The definition of Ephesus was not to glorify Mary, as some think, but to affirm that Jesus’ two natures – divine and human were united in one divine person.

The logic is:
          Jesus is God

If we do not accept that what Jesus did and experienced in his humanity was experienced by God (the Son) then we cannot say that God died on the cross and we are not redeemed; we cannot say that God shed his blood for us and our sins are not forgiven.
          Great post.

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

Originally posted by Bede View Post

The logic is:
            Jesus is God

This makes totally sense. So therefore, Mary is the mother of God in the form of Jesus Christ in terms of human nature is that right? But then God doesn't have a mother in the spiritual realm. Is that correct?
            Comment>

Hi Jasmin, first off, WELCOME TO CF :)

As for God not having a mother, you are correct. God is not a created being, not a "creature" like we are. He is not descended from anyone, having neither a mother nor a father, He did not come into existence, rather, He has always existed. God is. His Divine Name, YHWH (or Yahweh), speaks to His self-existence. In fact, when Moses asked God for His name, this is how He responded:
              13 Then Moses said to God, “Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you.’ Now they may say to me, ‘What is His name?’ What shall I say to them?”
              14 God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM”; and He said, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ” ~Exodus 3 (cf .. see John 8:58)
              Moses told us that God is, "from everlasting to everlasting" (Psalm 90:2), meaning that He has no beginning and He has no end. God Himself told us that He is the one and only God that will ever be, that no other God(s) preexisted Him, and that no other God (no other Being like Him) will ever be formed after Him (i.e. Isaiah 43:10; Isaiah 44:6).

Jesus, who was, is and always will be a Divine Person with a Divine nature, took on a second, human nature at His incarnation. Therefore, since the time of His Incarnation, He has had a "mother", the Virgin Mary, who is the mother of God according to her Son's second nature, according to His humanity (but He has no mother according to His Deity as was previously discussed).

Yours in Christ,
              David
              p.s. - Here is one of the historic creeds of the church which may be helpful in understanding how Mary is the mother of God (though I believe you already understand that pretty well actually), and some other important information about the nature of her Son as well.
              THE SYMBOL OF CHALCEDON (451 A.D.)

We, then, following the holy Fathers, all with one consent, teach men to confess one and the same Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, the same perfect in Godhead and also perfect in manhood; truly God and truly man, of a reasonable [rational] soul and body; consubstantial [coessential] with us according to the manhood; in all things like unto us, without sin; begotten before all ages of the Father according to the Godhead, and in these latter days, for us and for our salvation, born of the Virgin Mary, the mother of God, according to the Manhood; one and the same Christ, Son, Lord, Only-begotten, to be acknowledged in two natures, inconfusedly, unchangeably, indivisibly, inseparably; the distinction of natures being by no means taken away by the union, but rather the property of each nature being preserved, and concurring in one person and one Subsistence, not parted or divided into two persons, but one and the same Son, and only begotten, God the Word, the Lord Jesus Christ, as the prophets from the beginning [have declared] concerning him, and the Lord Jesus Christ himself has taught us, and the Creed of the holy Fathers has handed down to us.
              Last edited by David Lee; 10-19-2016, 02:16 PM.
              Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
              Comment>

Almighty God does not have a mother. I know that Jesus the Son of Almighty God came to this earth through a woman, Mary. Almight God does not have a mother. God is the creator of all that has existed or ever existed. He created from non existence. He is from everlasting to everlasting, no beginning no ending
                Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post
                  Hi Jasmin, first off, WELCOME TO CF :)

As for God not having a mother, you are correct. God is not a created being, not a "creature" like we are. He is not descended from anyone, having neither a mother nor a father, He did not come into existence, rather, He has always existed. God is. His Divine Name, YHWH (or Yahweh), speaks to His self-existence. In fact, when Moses asked God for His name, this is how He responded:Moses told us that God is, "from everlasting to everlasting" (Psalm 90:2), meaning that He has no beginning and He has no end. God Himself told us that He is the one and only God that will ever be, that no other God(s) preexisted Him, and that no other God (no other Being like Him) will ever be formed after Him (i.e. Isaiah 43:10; Isaiah 44:6).

Jesus, who was, is and always will be a Divine Person with a Divine nature, took on a second, human nature at His incarnation. Therefore, since the time of His Incarnation, He has had a "mother", the Virgin Mary, who is the mother of God according to her Son's second nature, according to His humanity (but He has no mother according to His Deity as was previously discussed).

Yours in Christ,
                  David
                  p.s. - Here is one of the historic creeds of the church which may be helpful in understanding how Mary is the mother of God (though I believe you already understand that pretty well actually), and some other important information about the nature of her Son as well.
                  Thank you so much for the wonderful explanation :) I've read it and it made me understand that our Lord is the Alpha and Omega, that He doesn't have a beginning and will never end. Now I understand that God doesn't have a mother although Jesus Christ does. My question in this thread has been answered, thanks to you and to everyone who politely answered my thread :)

Since it's already clear with me regarding God's mother if he has one, now I'm kinda confused who named Him God? As I've read what has been mentioned in your posts when God answered Moses of what shall they call Him and He answered "I AM WHO I AM". It's a bit confusing for me in that part.
                  Comment>

Since it's already clear with me regarding God's mother if he has one, now I'm kinda confused who named Him God? As I've read what has been mentioned in your posts when God answered Moses of what shall they call Him and He answered "I AM WHO I AM". It's a bit confusing for me in that part.
                    No one named God. God uses the languages (which ever that language might be) of human beings to communicate truths about Himself. As I pointed out above, God is eternal, beginning less, uncaused, necessarily existing being. Thus to refer to Himself as "I AM" makes perfect sense.
                    Comment>

Now I understand that God doesn't have a mother although Jesus Christ does. My question in this thread has been answered..........
                      Hi again Jasmin, did you happen to notice what Jesus said in John 8:58? It must be significant because what He said .. who He claimed to be .. caused the Jews to try to stone Him for blasphemy :eek:
                      Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM.” ~John 8:58
                      Since Jesus said that about Himself, who do you think He was claiming to be? (just FYI, Abraham was born about 1,800 years before Jesus was)

Thanks!

Yours in Christ,
                      David

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and
                      the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God"

John 1:1-2*

*If you'd like to know more about John 1:1, go to William's new thread here.
                      Last edited by David Lee; 10-20-2016, 04:54 PM.

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                      Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post

Hi again Jasmin, did you happen to notice what Jesus said in John 8:58? It must be significant because what He said .. who He claimed to be .. caused the Jews to try to stone Him for blasphemy :eek:Since Jesus said that about Himself, who do you think He was claiming to be? (just FYI, Abraham was born about 1,800 years before Jesus was)

Thanks!

Yours in Christ,
                        David

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and
                        the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God"

John 1:1-2*

*If you'd like to know more about John 1:1, go to William's new thread here.
                        Thank you so much for making an effort to help me understand this. It made sense to me now and I know that God led me to this forum to learn more about Him since I wasn't able to go to church at this time. I know I will still have more questions sooner or in the future and I hope I can find the right answers to help me understand things about God and the Bible.

Yes St_Worm2. I will check the other thread that you've provided so I can know more about this. Thank you so much and may the good Lord bless you and your family :)
                        Comment>

Thank you Jasmin, I'm glad you found us and decided to join us. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better and to growing in Christ together with you as well :)

God bless you (Numbers 6:24-26; Jude 24-25)

--David
                          p.s. - here is another short passage about Jesus and at least a couple of things about Him that I think you may find interesting :)

16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth,
                          visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities
                          —all things have been created by Him and for Him.
                          17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. ~Colossians 1:16-17

Comment>

Certainly Martin Luther, and John Calvin for that matter, would not have agreed with today's Protestants who try to say that Mary is not the Mother of God. Although they objected to prayer to the Saints, and this included Mary, both of them believed that she was Ever Virgin, and that she was the Theotokos. It would never have occurred to them to think otherwise. So those Protestants who argue otherwise must argue with their own Reformers. Not a wise thing to do, in my opinion.
                            Comment>

Hi Diego, I don't believe I've ever heard a Protestant argue that Mary is not the Mother of God (in the sense that Chalcedon applies that title to her, IOW, "according to the manhood"). Which denominations say otherwise, and who do they say she is then?

As for believing that Mary was Ever Virgin, I was unaware that Lutherans held that as an official doctrine!(?) The only Biblical evidence I know of seems to deny the Ever Virgin doctrine. If I've missed it, please point it out to me.

Thanks!

Yours and His,
                              David

Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap